cars, zombies, combat

aceindaplace

@TheVampire Not everyone liked PVE or extreme realism..... i hope the epoch dev team gives the servers flexibility to add what they want.... as some players like it hardcore like you Vampire but some of us only have a hour or two a day to play with our busy lives.....

I understand that, and that is the beauty of the old DayZ Mod and A3:Epoch as they are persistent. Hide your base well enough and you can come back to it.

It isn't after a zombie apocalypse, but specifically "two years after the mass extinction of billions of people." Arma 3: Epoch isn't following the same plot as the mod.

There are antagonists in A3E but they are not zombies. If you wanted to take anything from the Arma 2: DayZ Mod you have to completely recreate it from scratch, reusing any of the code is breach of the DayZ Mod License.

If you haven't seen the time lapse video posted in this section, I recommend that you go and watch it before you complain, you will be facing some things that are worse than zombies, and this also gives them the open ended-ness to be able to add a multitude of different "monsters" to the game instead of just different zombie variants.

Some STALKER 2 (that will never be released) concept art seems fitting....

I'd personally like to see a fleet of unknown roaming creatures. Maybe War of the Worlds meets STALKER-esque.

Well put.  I find that most negative comments are from people that haven't even bothered to see what we're working on.

I had watched the time lapse video before I commented on here, I find assuming that I have no interest on what you're working on but investing the time to give feedback to try to make this mod as good as possible an illogical conclusion. I am simply giving my feedback based on what I personally would like to see in the mod. I may have sounded somewhat brash in my comment but I took the time to come here and comment for the sole purpose of doing what I can to make this mod as fun as possible. I do agree that zombies interrupting a firefight in Arma 2 Epoch is extremely annoying, so I can see your point(s?). My intention was not to come here and rage at the dev's for doing something I didn't like, I was just saying why I thought something should be different. If you disagree with me, that's fine; you're an Epoch developer and I'm not.

I had watched the time lapse video before I commented on here, I find assuming that I have no interest on what you're working on but investing the time to give feedback to try to make this mod as good as possible an illogical conclusion. I am simply giving my feedback based on what I personally would like to see in the mod. I may have sounded somewhat brash in my comment but I took the time to come here and comment for the sole purpose of doing what I can to make this mod as fun as possible. I do agree that zombies interrupting a firefight in Arma 2 Epoch is extremely annoying, so I can see your point(s?). My intention was not to come here and rage at the dev's for doing something I didn't like, I was just saying why I thought something should be different. If you disagree with me, that's fine; you're an Epoch developer and I'm not.

We certainly appreciate the feedback, I'm referring more to the "Y R they Taking Zomby out of stanlone" comments.  They're far more common than you would think.

Although I do agree with you, that other humans can be as scary as the unknown, there is no way to get that across in a game without making a horror aspect that specifically tries to do this. The game "Outlast" as an example did very well at this. The thing is though, you have to make the player fear what will happen to them, while also sucking them into the game to make it hit hard.

In Arma, you do not fear getting shot, or dieing. It just means you need to start over. In a real life scenario, getting caught by Cannibals is an entirely different ordeal than what you can get across in game. In real life, you'd be moved to a storage location, and kept alive, knowing you could possibly be eaten alive. In Arma, you'd have some guy labeled a Cannibal chasing around people with a butchers knife. What happens when he slices you to death? You respawn. I just don't see the possibility to get across the type of fear you need for something like that, without it being plain fear of the unknown.

I hear you. Its gonna be hard to convey that feeling of surviving or just being scared to die / suffer. That's where dayz got me hooked. Not wanting to lose everything you're carrying is one way to make the need to survive give you a fear of losing life. They could also implement something to really make you start fresh similar to an experience system where you get better over time at doing menial tasks so dying means losing your abilities to do things quicker than a fresh spawn (I.e. chopping / processing lumber, medical actions etc).

I can't wait to find out what's replacing zombies. Since A3 is set in the future... Those little round drones (KA-137 i think) would scare me much more than spawned zombies anyday.

Can't wait.

I hear you. Its gonna be hard to convey that feeling of surviving or just being scared to die / suffer. That's where dayz got me hooked. Not wanting to lose everything you're carrying is one way to make the need to survive give you a fear of losing life. They could also implement something to really make you start fresh similar to an experience system where you get better over time at doing menial tasks so dying means losing your abilities to do things quicker than a fresh spawn (I.e. chopping / processing lumber, medical actions etc).

I can't wait to find out what's replacing zombies. Since A3 is set in the future... Those little round drones (KA-137 i think) would scare me much more than spawned zombies anyday.

Can't wait.

I had someone on OpenDayz ask me how to code the KA-137's to swoop down and grab people, and fly off with them, lol.

And I agree with you, there are ways to make people fear death without the fear of actual death. I feel in A3 Epoch making traveling actually fearful from a PVE aspects would be a good one, from fear of the unknown monsters that lie between you and your destination. Then you can let the player "advance" by storing up items much like what people already do in A2 Epoch, but death means finding your way back to your hut through the unknown.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you want the same re-hashed antagonists again and again and again?  'Tis madness.  We're trying to think outside the box a little bit.

You could have re-designed zombies to be actual zombies, and no longer 'pussycat' zombies like in Day Z mod's...Seriously hard and like the walking dead would be nice,, hordes everywhere with the occasional fast one,,, just below sprint speed but above running with weapon speed, infection if they bite you and strikes kill you in 2 hits? Sounds perfect to me

I love zombies and I have to be brutally honest- the new creatures look bad and too rare. and I will miss the whole zombies everywhere thing. You could have improved zombies drastically, and not just rehashed them. You could have proper zombies. When i first say Epoch Arma 3 in the competition i went from massively excited, to dissapointment when you said no zombies..literally biggest stamp on the face for a zombie/horror fan.... I hope someone makes  a good mod with zombies in quick when this comes out to be honest with you.

You could have re-designed zombies to be actual zombies, and no longer 'pussycat' zombies like in Day Z mod's...Seriously hard and like the walking dead would be nice,, hordes everywhere with the occasional fast one,,, just below sprint speed but above running with weapon speed, infection if they bite you and strikes kill you in 2 hits? Sounds perfect to me

I love zombies and I have to be brutally honest- the new creatures look bad and too rare. and I will miss the whole zombies everywhere thing. You could have improved zombies drastically, and not just rehashed them. You could have proper zombies. When i first say Epoch Arma 3 in the competition i went from massively excited, to dissapointment when you said no zombies..literally biggest stamp on the face for a zombie/horror fan.... I hope someone makes  a good mod with zombies in quick when this comes out to be honest with you.

You mean zombies that actually try to eat you as opposed to Bruce Lee spazzing out all over the screen you to death?  And like, you could actually shoot them before and after they get up in your face?  Yeah, that would be nice.  As for the other antagonists, I think we should hold our judgement until we actually try it out.

You could have re-designed zombies to be actual zombies, and no longer 'pussycat' zombies like in Day Z mod's...Seriously hard and like the walking dead would be nice,, hordes everywhere with the occasional fast one,,,

No they couldn't have... 

The main reason way back when "fast zombies" was decided upon was because for slow zombies to be a threat you literally had to have hundreds of them in an area. Even then the player had to be slightly stupid and corner himself or the zombies would need some sort of grab function to make them dangerous. You literally can't have hundreds of zombies where ever there is a player, not and have a game with playable framerates. The engine just can't do it. ARMA II couldn't do it and I seriously doubt ARMA III could. SA had hopes only because of the network bubble which only updates clients with information for their area, but even so the servers were slowing down with that many zombies and if they can't update the clients don't update. 

Slow Zombies are poor antagonists given the limitations of the game engine. 

I have to be brutally honest- the new creatures look bad and too rare.

:huh:

Going from normal "Infected" to unique monsters is a lot harder than just throwing some blood splatters on a retextured unit. I'm sure they will get better if they don't currently meet your high standards.

And what do you mean too rare? Are you an alpha tester or something? You watched two scripted videos to showcase some new Epoch features and monsters and suddenly know exactly how common they are?

At least play the game in person before you make such a harsh judgement. It's not like the monsters look like this:

200_s.gif