cars, zombies, combat

aceindaplace

Yeah, we're going a different direction than standalone.  There are no zombies here, sorry. As development progresses you'll be more familiar with what we intend to do.

In case you're not aware, Epoch was the first mod to have truly dynamic spawning vehicles.  Everything previous in the original DayZ were fixed spawn locations; the only random factor was whether or not they actually spawned on server start.

As to vehicles being an "end game item" in Standalone, I've seen what their characters look like when entering vehicles; they still have a bit of work to do in that neck of the woods.

Yeah, we're going a different direction than standalone.  There are no zombies here, sorry. As development progresses you'll be more familiar with what we intend to do.

In case you're not aware, Epoch was the first mod to have truly dynamic spawning vehicles.  Everything previous in the original DayZ were fixed spawn locations; the only random factor was whether or not they actually spawned on server start.

As to vehicles being an "end game item" in Standalone, I've seen what their characters look like when entering vehicles; they still have a bit of work to do in that neck of the woods.

thank goodness i got arma 3 for mainly mod support and this is probably one of my favorites from arma 2 so good luck and any idea when a playable alpha might be released 

WIll it be possible for someone to add them as a mod...big ask I know but...seems some people are not ready to give up on the floppyheads just yet:)

Anything is possible, but it certainly won't be by us or even sanctioned by us for that matter..

If we used a style of zombie that we created, rigged and made custom animations for...then sure.  But anything from "DayZ" simply cannot be used for Arma 3, it would be an explicit breach of license.

I'm glad there'll be no zombies this time, but all this breach of license stuff regarding DayZ content being ported to A3, I assume the tosser Rocket was behind that?

Well sure, but people have to keep in mind that his stuff is being used for commercial purposes now.  Maybe not the same appearance from in the mod, but a variation of it.  Legal or not, his teams rights as authors should be respected in this regard.

That is a colossal letdown.

Yeah could be, but we stay tuned to know how they want change this aspect. We are all inure at zombies that ,personally, i can't imagine another AI set up. Humans with guns, terminators, infected or nothing Ai? This choice could be the ruin of the mod if it isn't perfectly balanced.

First off I'd like to say that I am a huge fan of Arma II Epoch.  It adds a depth of gameplay that keeps me interested, great job!  Since vehicles are a huge part of Epoch are we going to see new vehicles like subs?  Will there be SCUBA gear available? How about under water of sub-terrainian base building, or is that out of the realm of possibility due to engine limitations.  I understand if you can't comment on this stuff, I'm just curious.

Looking forward to the future Epoch, thanks for the hard work.

• 1 month later...

No zombies? MAJOR Deal breaker for me. My understanding of the game is that you are using the theme of 2 years past the huge zombie outbreak, so I would think that there would still be SOME zombies. I would say far and few and they would be decently strong so that when you fire a gun somewhere you only get like 10 MAX zombies chasing you. No zombies means players are the only thing you have to worry about, in my mind I might as well go play wasteland. Unless everything else is so significantly awesome that it compensates for no zombies, I'm not going to be playing this a lot. Just giving my feedback, ~Odell00~

After many interrupted firefights trying to save my buddies from actual threats, just imagining not having a bunch of nut-munching zombies spawning over and over makes me personally so happy. The game needs some kind of A.I enemy but survival and teamwork should be the priority imo.

I'm biased though. Never really liked zombies unless they were slow and dumb and easy to evade. I'm interested to see what the Epoch devs come up with.

No zombies? MAJOR Deal breaker for me. My understanding of the game is that you are using the theme of 2 years past the huge zombie outbreak, so I would think that there would still be SOME zombies. I would say far and few and they would be decently strong so that when you fire a gun somewhere you only get like 10 MAX zombies chasing you. No zombies means players are the only thing you have to worry about, in my mind I might as well go play wasteland. Unless everything else is so significantly awesome that it compensates for no zombies, I'm not going to be playing this a lot. Just giving my feedback, ~Odell00~

It isn't after a zombie apocalypse, but specifically "two years after the mass extinction of billions of people." Arma 3: Epoch isn't following the same plot as the mod.

There are antagonists in A3E but they are not zombies. If you wanted to take anything from the Arma 2: DayZ Mod you have to completely recreate it from scratch, reusing any of the code is breach of the DayZ Mod License.

If you haven't seen the time lapse video posted in this section, I recommend that you go and watch it before you complain, you will be facing some things that are worse than zombies, and this also gives them the open ended-ness to be able to add a multitude of different "monsters" to the game instead of just different zombie variants.

Some STALKER 2 (that will never be released) concept art seems fitting....

I'd personally like to see a fleet of unknown roaming creatures. Maybe War of the Worlds meets STALKER-esque.

It isn't after a zombie apocalypse, but specifically "two years after the mass extinction of billions of people." Arma 3: Epoch isn't following the same plot as the mod.

There are antagonists in A3E but they are not zombies. If you wanted to take anything from the Arma 2: DayZ Mod you have to completely recreate it from scratch, reusing any of the code is breach of the DayZ Mod License.

If you haven't seen the time lapse video posted in this section, I recommend that you go and watch it before you complain, you will be facing some things that are worse than zombies, and this also gives them the open ended-ness to be able to add a multitude of different "monsters" to the game instead of just different zombie variants.

Some STALKER 2 (that will never be released) concept art seems fitting....

I'd personally like to see a fleet of unknown roaming creatures. Maybe War of the Worlds meets STALKER-esque.

Well put.  I find that most negative comments are from people that haven't even bothered to see what we're working on.

I always thought post apocalyptic survival game set after a pandemic wipes out 99 percent of the population would be far better than any game with zombies.

If anyone here has seen the movie the road they would know how terrying regular humans can be. The cannibals in the movie are by far the scariest thing I have ever seen in a post apocalyptic film.

A world devoid of zombies, ai bandits, etc would work in a map the size of Chenarus.

A focus on survival and player ineteraction would work fine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/244w51/the_plague/

That reddit post does a cool job showing what A post apocalyptic horror game could look like without any zombies, or supernatural or ai enemies.

IsxHUfo.png

Eff zombies, obnoxious assmunchers.  I'll say for the megazillianth time, Arma2 zombies were terrible... I mean when I first started playing(1.5yrs ago?) they didn't seem so bad, I seem to remember actually being able to sneak around them without them teleporting into my face every 5 seconds.  I remember actually being AFRAID of them.  But, they just got annoying over time, to the point where you couldn't even interact with other players without them completely interfering.  I do love the idea of zombies, but, with all due respect, most developers don't really do them justice.

I can see a lot of Epoch players getting bumbumhurt about the absence of zombies because a lot of them simply like to build bases and farm zombies out of them and just abhor conflict with other players because they like hording gear and just hate life when they have to respawn and are reduced to bipedalism and begging the entire server for rides.  The new Epoch is probably going to force a bit more player interaction, which is a good thing.  I'm excited to see the player trading.

From what I understand, Arma AI just doesn't seem suitable for zeds anyways.  There's one game that I know of(that I won't name here out of respect + I'm sure most of you have been following it) that seems to be doing a fantastic job with the whole zombie apocalypse survival MMO, so I'm glad that the Epoch dev team is going a different way with this.  I'm a fan of their work and from what I've watched and read, it looks like the new Epoch is going to be a blast.

I would love an expanded PVE Survival aspect. In Arma 2 Epoch after you get a base and fill up two safes worth of stuff, with a few of the best vehicles, a few helicopters, there isn't much left to do except start over in a different location on the map. Your "base" is only there to keep the zeds out, and to have a wall between you and a bandit.

I would like to see your base actually be a place to SURVIVE in the apocalypse. Roaming unknown mysterious deadly creatures seem to be everywhere, so you need to navigate without dying in this hostile world to build a shelter to defend yourself from these creatures. Imagine hiding inside your home, while a T-Rex who could smash in your front door is roaming around outside.

The weather is harsh. Coastline towns could be 80-90 degrees during the day, but easily drop to below 60 as soon as the sun sets. Imagine needing to collect and scrounge the parts to build yourself an electric heater to run off of car batteries, or else risking a fire that may attract these unknown monsters with its light, or freezing all night and contracting an illness. Scrounging around for scrap metal to reinforce your walls to prevent the next human sized dog from so easily clawing through it. Finding camo netting to camouflage your little hut better from other survivors who are looking for warmth and food themselves. Needing to scrounge for canned food that is nearly expired, or take the chance of roasting the last creature you shot and contracting some virus. That is the game I want to play, instead of playing a Game of Bases against people who can literally keep driving to your base to Kamikaze their vehicles, because they have the ability to.

I always thought post apocalyptic survival game set after a pandemic wipes out 99 percent of the population would be far better than any game with zombies.

If anyone here has seen the movie the road they would know how terrying regular humans can be. The cannibals in the movie are by far the scariest thing I have ever seen in a post apocalyptic film.

A world devoid of zombies, ai bandits, etc would work in a map the size of Chenarus.

A focus on survival and player ineteraction would work fine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/244w51/the_plague/

That reddit post does a cool job showing what A post apocalyptic horror game could look like without any zombies, or supernatural or ai enemies.

Although I do agree with you, that other humans can be as scary as the unknown, there is no way to get that across in a game without making a horror aspect that specifically tries to do this. The game "Outlast" as an example did very well at this. The thing is though, you have to make the player fear what will happen to them, while also sucking them into the game to make it hit hard.

In Arma, you do not fear getting shot, or dieing. It just means you need to start over. In a real life scenario, getting caught by Cannibals is an entirely different ordeal than what you can get across in game. In real life, you'd be moved to a storage location, and kept alive, knowing you could possibly be eaten alive. In Arma, you'd have some guy labeled a Cannibal chasing around people with a butchers knife. What happens when he slices you to death? You respawn. I just don't see the possibility to get across the type of fear you need for something like that, without it being plain fear of the unknown.

@TheVampire Not everyone liked PVE or extreme realism..... i hope the epoch dev team gives the servers flexibility to add what they want.... as some players like it hardcore like you Vampire but some of us only have a hour or two a day to play with our busy lives.....