Walking Dead Zombies

MisterSunshine

Question

I will start with, I am a major noob when it comes to coding of any kind. I am trying to get the zombies walking only, no more balls to the wall sprint to close distance. I have done this easily with vanilla DayZ but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work with DayZ Epoch. I change forceSpeed to 2 in control_zombieAgent.sqf but they still run at full speed.

So then I tried looking around for another zombie chase code in other files. I went into zombie_agent.fsm and changed the forceSpeed in the chase area to 2 as well. This makes the zombies stop running but they don't appear to be "seeing" the player. They will move toward a player if the player makes a noise but I can run in front of them and they continue to loiter. If I move within strike range the zombie will still attack. 

I've not messed with the FSM file before and I'm not sure what it is used for but is it a "no-no" to edit it? Does anyone have a suggestion of where to look to try to make the zombies walk and still chase the player on sight? Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Also, I am hosting the server on an HP mini server at my house for a small number of friends to play around on. Not serious at all but we like the "Walking Dead" zombies style. If you think walking zombies would be too difficult to get working with Epoch let me know. I like the traders and economy system of Epoch but I am open to other mods that may work better for us.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I did this changes on a Test Server too. The only Speed that seems to work is 2 for Walking only.

I like that the Zombies are no longer running around like in a Comic.

But with this slow Speed as the thread opener allready suggested you have to do something on the Zombie damage so that they still be a thread, because they will only hit you one time when you run to near to them. so one hit with 200 blood is much to less. should be 2000 instead.

Has anyone found out where i can change the Zombie Damage?

I have searched some other forums and found out that people try to change the  fn_damageHandler.sqf

But for me it seems that changing something there will also affect the player weapon damage.

Any hint on this or a change somewhere else on server side is welcome.

Sure, just extract dayz_code.pbo, in the compile folder open control_zombieAgent.sqf. Scroll down to the "//CHASE TARGET" section and change "_agent forceSpeed 8" to "_agent forceSpeed 2" (without quotes of course). (This may not be required now but I haven't tested it without the change and it works like this)

Then I had to go to the system folder in the pbo and open zombie_agent.fsm find the chase state and make the change from 8 to 2 in there as well.

Repack your pbo and update it on all the clients that will be connecting and sign the files as needed. (I turn off checking for signed pbos on my server since it's locked and used be a few close friends.) If you need more info let me know and I will try to help out.

Also, this does make the zombies not as scary as the running zombies. I suggest turning up there damage and increasing the number of max zombies and number of zombies each building spawns to keep them a threat. This may slow your server down but I don't see changing the client pbo for a public server anyway so shouldn't be a problem with a small group of friends playing. Like I said I have a cheap HP miniserver running my DayZ server and we don't have much lag at all with a small group of 4-5 just playing around.

Where about's can you find the dayz_code.pbo file and where do you put it cause i have some troubles and i doesn't work for me when i start the server the zombies still sprint I am a newbie at this server stuff!

You have to call a custom compiles in your init..  all this should be in a "custom" folder inside your mission.

I have not stripped out the calls for custom self actions ect ect

so don't use this compiles file directly, but rather as a example,  search CTRL + F   "custom" to see where lines need to be changed.

walking zombies.zip

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I just cannot figure out the walking zombies, I changed lines in dayz_code in @Dayz_Epoch and @dayz in my server file using PBOManager 1.4 beta, agent forcespeed is on 2 just like it needs to be. I've read everything I can find tutorial wise and am pretty sure I'm missing like the smallest piece of the puzzle to make this correct :P

Any help is super appreciated, My first server and I've been working on code for SARGE AI and slow zombies and stats box UI for countless hours with no results :(

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I just cannot figure out the walking zombies, I changed lines in dayz_code in @Dayz_Epoch and @dayz in my server file using PBOManager 1.4 beta, agent forcespeed is on 2 just like it needs to be. I've read everything I can find tutorial wise and am pretty sure I'm missing like the smallest piece of the puzzle to make this correct :P

Any help is super appreciated, My first server and I've been working on code for SARGE AI and slow zombies and stats box UI for countless hours with no results :(

Your doing what to dayz_code?

Your suppose to just pull out the required files, make the changes, and direct your compiles to use the changed files...

The example files I posted should be more then enough to get you pointed in the right direction.

Ok this works fine, but how would i get it so a small percentage of zombies can run but the majority walk?

Thanks

The easiest way is to make all the changes to the zombie files except wild_spawnZombies.sqf That way they all walk except for a few.  I did this completely by accident the first time. Forgot to update wild_spawnZombies lol.

The easiest way is to make all the changes to the zombie files except wild_spawnZombies.sqf That way they all walk except for a few.  I did this completely by accident the first time. Forgot to update wild_spawnZombies lol.

I did the exact same thing lol  :lol:

Following this guide, does anyone get this in their RPT log? Everything works, meaning they walk, just trying to fig out the new log error.

class FSM
{
fsmName = "DayZ Zombie Agent";
cla>
14:14:25   Error position: <FSM
{
cla>
14:14:25   Error Missing ;
14:14:25 File mpmissions\DayZ_Epoch_24.Napf\dayz_code\system\zombie_agent.fsm, line 140
14:14:25 Error in expression <

Used the files from post 33, with the exception of the compiles, i changed to fit my custom file, i used what was in the file as is.

line 139 to line 149 is 

*//*%FSM</HEAD>*/
class FSM
{
  class States
  {
    /*%FSM<STATE "init">*/
    class init
    {
      name = "init";
      init = /*%FSM<STATEINIT""">*/"_position = 	_this select 0;" \n

There's no control_zombieAgent.sqf in the compiles of the 1.0.5 dayz_code... this sqf I believe was the speed of the zombies. (theres no call in the 105 comples.sqf either) Guessing they've moved it somewhere else or renamed it - or done some other jiggery-pokery.... I'll keep looking...

cheers.