Server hardware and ARMA II / Epoch limitations.

RimBlock

Question

Hi,

I am currently spec'ing up the hardware for an Epoch server.

It will be Intel 55xx/56xx processor based (HP DL380 G6 I already have knocking around).

What is the max cores / threads ARMA II / Epoch can utilize ?.

I am looking at either dual X5570s (4 core) or X5650s (6 core).

More slightly slower cores or less faster cores ?.

From reading here I see someone mentioned that server instances are limited to 2GB ram, so ram is not really an issue in the server spec.

For storage,  What sort of size does the DB storage need and what sort of growth rate are people seeing ?.

Anyone running MySQL on a ram disk ?.  The server will take 48GB ram pretty cheaply so have 12GB for OS and application and 30GB as ramdisk with master slave replication to a second MySQL instance on a fast SSD array may be interesting.  UPS will be a must.

I am potentially looking at putting in a 1Gbit fibre connection so that will cover connectivity.

Any other advice / suggestions ?.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Thanks for replying.

I have seen mention of An Epoch server being able to utilise a second core for AI and also someone else mentioning that you can put a (-cpuCount=1) in the startup batch file to tell it to use more cores (from the guide to installing thread by Indiculous ).

What does this flag actually affect ?.

I finally got a test server working last night on dual L5520s, 7.2k hdd and 16GB ram.  It ran fine with just me on it ;)  but that was more to get the software install process worked out.

RB