FMission

First off I want to say this project is a result of my own personal preferences on what I wanted in a mission system. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel, steal anyone's thunder or create confusion by bringing forth a new mission system. I made this for me, and since I took the time to make it I might as well share it.

What is FMission?

FMission is the result of my need for complete control over mission creation. I wanted the ability to create challenging missions that had cool mechanics to them and the existing systems out there felt confined. It would have taken more work than I wanted to put into them to get them to do what I wanted so... enter FMission.

FMission is a Mission system that runs off the built in Epoch Events Scheduler. It's a modular design that is easy to use and customize which means it allows users to design robust missions much easier. Advanced developers will enjoy the flexibility of the tool scripts that make up FMission and novice users will love the ease of their use. 

Development of future tools are independent of the system thus can be added at anytime without the need to re-do anything previously created, unless you want to add the new tool (script mechanic) to an older script, but in most cases that will be as easy as adding a single line of code due to the modular design.

The design of FMission allows for developers to create their own folders of missions which the user can simply drop into their main FMission folder and update one file to include that developers missions in the mission rotation. Users can ultimately pick and choose their favorite mission scripts from their favorite developers and create "playlists" so to speak. 

I will be updating my GitHub with all the needed files and documentation over the next few days. Since it's in the infant stages I only have one older test mission so far, but that will change after I finish putting it on GitHub. Then I can concentrate on doing missions.

I invite other developers to create missions as well. If we got all of the missions makers creating missions we could have a pretty sweet library of missions to choose from. 

Current things you can do with the mission system:

1. Create individual custom units that:

Have custom load outs (Bandit, Medic and Sniper) New loadouts can be easily created.

Random Skill Selection (Noob, Skilled and Elite) More skill levels can be added easily.

Can patrol if wanted. (Can easily adjust # of WP's)

2. Create Vehicle (3 Vehicles to choose from currently, chosen at random) and Heli Patrols

3. Create random Minefields around mission sites.

4. Adjustable Timeouts that clear the current mission so the next mission can cycle if you choose

5. Refreshing Markers (For JIP's and Death)

6. Unlimited random mission selection

7: Random mission spawn chance if you choose, adds randomness to "when" a mission will spawn.

8. Loot boxes that spawn only after an objective is completed, if you choose.

9. Loot boxes designed specifically for the Mission rather than pulling from a set of global mission load outs resulting in rewards that don't make sense for the mission.

There is more to come, I have more tools in mind, but this is enough to get it rolling. It runs smooth, super flexible and missions can be made with a little AI or the whole kitchen sink. I did a test mission with patrolling AI, internal stationary AI, a base fortification, vehicle patrols, heli patrols and a minefield... let's just say it's not your father's Oldsmobile.

EDIT: (3/18/2014)

Should work on any map, just adjust the spawn radius to the correct size for your map when creating missions. 

EDIT: (3/21/2014)

FMission 1.1 has been released. 

EDIT: (9/1/2014)

FMission is compatible with Epoch AND Overpoch.

EDIT: (12/7/2014)

FMission is still working perfectly despite being written a while ago. It's design should keep it working for a very long time with no code base updates.

EDIT: (4/27/2015) ********************************************************************************************************************************

FMission is STILL working despite not being worked on for a year... With that said I must announce...

I am officially stopping Development on FMission Version 1. I will be creating a new FMission system (FMission2) for Arma 3 to be used in new projects I am working on. I have posted a link to the Git containing FMission 1 files so if you would like to Fork them and work on it for yourself I have no issue with that as long as the original files are kept intact and my author credits remain in those files and ALL files derived from my work.

The first NEW Arma 3 project that will Release will be "Close Quarters" a 25 vs 25 Team DeathMatch game mode with levels, XP, killstreaks, perks, stats tracking, persistent stats etc etc.

Follow me on Twitter at: @FoamyTRG to keep up on Development, find out how to sign up for Beta and see teaser stuffs!

Thank you for your support!

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here is the link to FMission 1.1

http://foamysworld.github.io/FWorldSite/

Link to Video Tutorial on How to create a mission with FMission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DdkPgFpt-A

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really nice man! I will try it out as soon as possible, it might be what I was looking for! And it runs out of the epoch timer system, which is great! Nice!

EDIT: I have been looking through the code and I am very impressed. It's easy to work with and it's very probable I might be switching over to this system. I was wondering though, will it be able to work with multiple missions at the same time or? Then I mean running 2 missions at the same time with FMISSION

Looks really nice man! I will try it out as soon as possible, it might be what I was looking for! And it runs out of the epoch timer system, which is great! Nice!

EDIT: I have been looking through the code and I am very impressed. It's easy to work with and it's very probable I might be switching over to this system. I was wondering though, will it be able to work with multiple missions at the same time or? Then I mean running 2 missions at the same time with FMISSION

Thanks for the kind words. I designed it from the ease of use, modular standpoint so even less skilled folks could make some missions with it. I am currently updating the folder structure and doing some documentation so I removed all the current content from Github. I will upload the new structure, files and documentation shortly. It's pretty much ready to start using.

To answer your question... yes, I could update it to run more than one mission at a time. I will add that as an option soon. I want to get the main system files done and out first. The more I work with this the more ideas I come up with... my to-do list is growing rapidly. There are a ton of tool scripts I plan to add so people can add different elements to a mission easily. Minefields are just the beginning.

Anyways, back to work I go... I want to get this updated in the next few hours.

It's released.

FMission 1.0 is available on my GitHub page. I will be adding more tools and more missions as well as upgrading the main system files to add more functionality as time permits. I have included basic documentation and a mission template file to get you started. I will do more detailed instructions as I get time.

I look forward to seeing the missions created with this system. Send me a message on these forums with a link to your missions for a chance to be included in the FMission package.

I just thought of something while rereading your original post. Is FMission designed to work with any Epoch map? I want to test it on my Chernarus server first.

Is there a tool available to determine position (world location) on a map? I need that data to enter into the scripts.

Edited by Snakeyes

I just thought of something while rereading your original post. Is FMission designed to work with any Epoch map? I want to test it on my Chernarus server first.

Is there a tool available to determine position (world location) on a map? I need that data to enter into the scripts.

I use the Chernarus map so it's deigned for that but with slight modification it could be used anywhere.

In what way is it designed for Chernarus? It chooses locations randomly, doesn't it?

It does choose locations randomly so all that might need to be changed would be the spawn radius in the missions. I don't use other maps so I don't know how far out you would set them. The current radius fits the Cherno map. Other than that FMission is non map specific. I do plan on releasing some Chernarus content in the form of static location raid/mission scripts but that is not part of FMission at this time.

So I don't need to find the actual map positions for the mission template? FMission chooses the locations randomly?

That is correct, the locations FMission chooses are random. The only thing you might need to adjust would be the spawn radius in the mission template so a mission doesn't spawn out of bounds. Smaller maps would have smaller radius from center etc.

<snip>

There is more to come, I have more tools in mind, but this is enough to get it rolling. It runs smooth, super flexible and missions can be made with a little AI or the whole kitchen sink. I did a test mission with patrolling AI, internal stationary AI, a base fortification, vehicle patrols, heli patrols and a minefield... let's just say it's not your father's Oldsmobile.

<snip>

Would you post your test mission that you mention above? I would like to look at the code for an all out mission. I'm going to try the mission template out today. I would like to have 3 missions in the rotation to start out this weekend.

I turned it into an actual mission and yes I will post it as part of the next update. 

Here is what I am currently working on for the next update.

1. Multiple Missions at once

2. Make missions a separate download

3. Update File System w/ new Mission structure

4. Update Mission Template

I was super tired when I did the commit this morning and forgot to update 2 files. They are updated now so if you downloaded FMission 1.1 before this message time stamp, re-download it.

please help, can you make it so that. if there are bandits at the mission, when players kill them they get +humanity and when there are hero or survivor ai at the mission and players kill them, they get - humanity? 

I'll see what I can do.

I was super tired when I did the commit this morning and forgot to update 2 files. They are updated now so if you downloaded FMission 1.1 before this message time stamp, re-download it.

I'll see what I can do.

hello, do you have any more missions? because im cant make my own missions. i just mess things up

hello, do you have any more missions? because im cant make my own missions. i just mess things up

I have about 6 other missions I am finishing up and will add to the missions pack as I finish them. I have one that should be ready to go in the next 24 hours or so.

I just got the system released a few days ago so I haven't had much time to work on missions yet. I plan on making a robust library of missions. I am hoping other script savvy folks will contribute some missions to FMission as well. 

Stay tuned...

I'm interested in creating and contributing missions to the FMission project. I just need to become more familiar with using the mission templates. I'll start out with something simple like a hunter/gather mission and then build on that.

I'll wait for your second mission release prior to testing it on the server. That way It will be a 2 mission rotation for a little variety.

I am also interested into creating missions for this project. All I'm still trying to get a better grip of is how I can make the positions of the AI specific for example machine gunners on a roof AND still keep using the find safepos function. Can u give us a short draft of the missions you already have planned? So we don't work on the same