Dean Hall plans to step down as lead designer of DayZ

vbawol

I wonder if this will cause Standalone to reach a "full version" without as many features as he may have intended.

This probably played a role in his decision. Progress has been at a snail's pace and BI probably wants to move this along faster than whatever schedule Rocket has set. I'm guessing there were some interesting conversations that sparked this decision.

Maybe he's cashing in his money and was pushed out the door ? :unsure:

The Standalone was never what it was promised, hopefully someone will take the helm and bring out its full potential :)

Dean made money when he sold the rights to BIS, only good things for the game can come from him leaving, I might even buy it myself now, currently using the free pre-release version i was lucky enough to get.

Not great news, I can see an unfinished game being pushed out as completed and patched through the wazoo until they iron out the bugs.

Good news for Arma 2 DayZ mods tho, players will start thinking about playing this again if the SA is pushed out with 25% of the features that were intended.

You should see what he's saying on reddit. He's saying the game is flawed and that when he leaves BI he will be making the ultimate multiplayer game... All the promises of alpha being released and then delaying to be quite a disappointment sucks. I played it the day it came out and while it was fun because it actually was finally released I felt it was a step backwards. The vanilla dayz mod has more features then the actual game does. Lets run around for 6 hours collecting rotten kiwis and then dying to hunger. They need to release some kind of vehicles or have some kind of objective to the game.

Horrible timing to step down and horrible wording. But I understand him non the less. DayZ will continue, with or without Dean - perhaps it will be better or perhaps it will be worse. 

People are proper mad about this, especially since he said "It's flawed" and left in early access ALPHA. However, I still have utmost respect for the guy, made an awesome mod and I bet it will continue to be an awesome game.

But, what a lot of people are missing is that he's actually staying the year out and may work even longer if required, but he will probably not stay as the "leader".

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vulr2/i_am_dean_rocket_hall_creator_of_dayz_and/cevx2m1

Yeah I'm not even sure what to think about all of this.  I wonder what barriers he ran in to that pushed him "over the edge" so to speak. 
Whatever the case, it appears just a little bit reckless to have one foot out the door on such a project...but who knows, everything is not as it seems sometimes.

To follow Dean: https://twitter.com/rocket2guns (and it doenst look like he's leaving BI/DayZ Standalone, just wont be on the front.....)

@MGT: Im wondering what will be the best game engine for that. A3 is optional but the recent suggested outerra looks nice as well. 

And what i;d love to see are maps around the size 10x Sauerland and with hundreds of players in it.....

To follow Dean: https://twitter.com/rocket2guns (and it doenst look like he's leaving BI/DayZ Standalone, just wont be on the front.....)

@MGT: Im wondering what will be the best game engine for that. A3 is optional but the recent suggested outerra looks nice as well. 

And what i;d love to see are maps around the size 10x Sauerland and with hundreds of players in it.....

As Defent said, he IS leaving, but not until the end of the year.

I think the point is that no one would care if he left after DayZ SA reaches 1.0. Like he said he has the gift of gab, and this gift seems intent on casting doubt in the mind of the people instead of just working on "his" game.

I am one of Rocket's biggest fans, but I do not see how him constantly bringing up the fact that he is going to move on is helping anything. Just from a marketing standpoint thats an extremely stupid thing to say

I find ArmA III is (and will be) the gift the keeps giving, much like ArmA II. There's a decent base game but the user generated content and missions are slowly lifting it. A3 Epoch and 2017 to look forward to as well.

Standalone they will/are making a mess of, slowly but surely. They'll overcomplicate it which (for me) will take (a lot of) the pleasure out of playing it. Still waiting on a fix for the mouse acceleration, which bodes well. 

I think the point is that no one would care if he left after DayZ SA reaches 1.0. Like he said he has the gift of gab, and this gift seems intent on casting doubt in the mind of the people instead of just working on "his" game.

I am one of Rocket's biggest fans, but I do not see how him constantly bringing up the fact that he is going to move on is helping anything. Just from a marketing standpoint thats an extremely stupid thing to say

TBH what does he know of "marketing" anything . He's fresh into the industry and honestly BI should have given him  "PR 101" when they brought him in.. they are in the hole $ on the project not Dean. Dean has nothing but time invested into the game, hes coming out on top no matter what happens, and it sounds like hes gained a bunch of new knowledge and is eager to explore that with new concepts.

/young and restless..

Rocket is great as a visionary but he may not be the best at closing projects out.  Stepping down might be the best thing that happens for the game.  What I found disconcerting was the lack of product road map.  It showed no direction and the progress showed it.  Why we had rotten fruit and helmets to vehicles that don't exist over fixing combat logging and server hopping I don't know.  These should have been tackled before anything else.   If they couldn't be handle with the existing engine it should have been scrapped for another one.  Quite possibly he may not have been ready for the magnitude of the project he was given.

Also for a zombie survival game there is so few of them and it's too easy survive the elements.  Maybe Rocket is right the game is flawed.   With the current loot spawning mechanic there is an infinite amount of loot and in this sort of environment survival is not difficult.  What that leads to is boredom resulting in multi-player interactions of the lowest order.  Don't get me wrong being a complete douche can be fun and I'm not so high brow to think there is no entertainment in it but it's an odd outcome for someone who visioned this game out of his own ordeal of survival, no?

Why handcuffs?  The game already encourages socially deviant and sociopath behaviors, why encourage it by adding more tools to be like one?  

I've played the game 30 hours in the first few weeks but stopped.  Yes it's alpha, I took a look and saw enough to delay my second look until it's a little more polished.  I hoping it gets better and wish it the best outcome.  What have I got to lose I've already paid for it.  :)