Survivor Companions

Installed, works on 1042 Epoch. Getting BE kicks on "Dismiss", need to finish working through fixing those tonight but on a quick test this seems to run as intended. Nice work OP.

I got the BE kick when I used "Dismiss" unit. Other than that it looks good. I want the Zeds to be killed by the survivors, so I'll add that last bit of code tomorrow.

I want the survivors to kill zeds. This part of the OP is a little confusing:

Now if you want the zeds to be killed by the survivors you will need to create a custom zombie_generate.sqf file and
add a single line to it near the very end of the script, there are plenty of examples of how to edit your compiles script to point to a new file
This is the compiles.sqf line you need to make point to your new file
zombie_generate
= compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\zombie_generate.sqf";

Do I need to create an additional zombie_generate.sqf file? My compiles.sqf file already has this line of code:

zombie_generate = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\zombie_generate.sqf";

I edited the original zombie_generate.sqf file. The only thing that I have changed is this:

At the bottom of zombie_generate.sqf right above
//Start behavior
_id = [_position,_agent] execFSM "\z\AddOns\dayz_code\system\zombie_agent.fsm";

add
this
_agent addRating -1000000;

Just copy zombie_generate.sqf from dayz_code.pbo to your mission file and update its location in variables.sqf (that line you quoted above).

Also need to do the same for zombie_agent.fsm, as stated in the OP instructions.

If you can't get this worked Snake, drop into my TS and I'll show you my edits so you can follow. Mine works, the AI recruits shoot the shit out of zombies now.

Edit just saw you posted this:

Also need to do the same for zombie_agent.fsm, as stated in the OP instructions.

You don't do anything to the fsm file. It's referenced already in your singular sqf edit. I think you got a little confused about what needs done.

I'm going to try to clean up the loose ends this morning. I ran out of time to get it finished when I had to leave for work yesterday. Will do gopostal. I've been meaning to stop by your TS and say hi anyways. Did you resolve the BE kick when you dismiss an AI survivor? I think it was waypoint restriction #0 or something like that.

From playing some ArmA2 and ArmA3, the AI seem a little difficult to manage at first, but it got easier. I like some of the possibilities with this mod. Even if I can use them as pack mules to help clean up the loot at mission sites it will be helpful. It can't hurt to have them lay down some cover fire.

@Lancer: How do you feel about me forking this? I'd like to add some configuration to it and remove a lot of the rpt log lines. The survivors need to be spawning with more assorted gear and backpacks to better mimic what you would expect to find. I'd also like to work towards persistent AI assigned to a player who purchased them (think mercenaries here) and maybe even build levels of them where lower ability mercs you could purchase will be cheaper but not as tough.

A mildly troubling thing I'm seeing is that I'd also like to remove the female survivors. Already there is a sexual overtone that the young male players are electing to pursue with these and I'd like to avoid that. I removed the arrest script because of this too, it quickly devolved into player 'rape' culture. Yeah, I know that's the players deciding their own course of action but I'm paying the bills and I'd just rather not see this stuff in chat. This is a zombie survival sim, not 'the' Sims.

Anyway, let me know how you feel about it. I'm always respectful with other people's work and I can forward you years worth of mod coding I've done and a host of people who were happy with my extensions of their stuff.

lolwhut  :blink:

Yeah, and honestly I didn't like it at all. I saw this in standalone and it concerned me when I added it to my server. Didn't take long either, especially when someone is playing as a female model and gets arrested. Quietly spectate your pub players when they use this and you might be surprised at how they are acting.

I know I'm splitting hairs by condoning fantasy violence but having issue with fantasy sexual predation but they are quite unequal things in my mind and I'd just like to avoid the latter when possible. Removing the female models from the survivors will take care of this simply and easily so that's why I was asking permission.

Woah, that's kind of an odd occurrence.. But it's amazing what people do if given the right circumstances. Never saw that happen before on my server though, not sure how I would react on that! Not well probably :D

On topic: I like the survivor companions theme, it brings me back to the amazing fallout series and if that is what you're aiming at, you've achieved!

Congratulations

Don't get me wrong brother, I'm not judging. I just don't personally like that sort of thing and that's all. It's no different than whether you use self-bloodbag on your server really so don't think I'm trying to claim some moral high ground.

I did some testing with the Survivor AI. They can drive (somewhat reckless) and they can fly. I recruited one AI to fly, then we flew up to the NEAF and picked up two more AI. I rode in the back of the Blackhawk to observe on the way back to my base. The door gunners were active firing off a burst here and there and the pilot keeps it low and fast. This reminds me of Daizy (single player mod) in a MP environment. I'm going to try an AI mission with them later today. This mod is really cool. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. Persistent AI? Buy units at a trader? Custom units, etc.