Sunrise time

BetterDeadThanZed

On my Chernarus server, by 5am server time, the sun is up. Starting at 4am, it begins to rise. If you look at DayzCommander, once the time hits 5am, it turns the time yellow to indicate daylight.

On Napf, at 5am, it's still dark and by 6am the sun is up. According to my watch in-game, the time is correct. Is there a reason the sun comes up later on Napf?

It doesn't make sense that the sunrise/sunset times would be different on my two servers. There's got to be someplace for me to define the date?

Arma may seem like a pretty dumb engine, but it actually takes into count position on the globe. Chernarus is fictionally located around Russia. Napf is based off the mountain "Napf" located along the Swiss border.

The longitude and latitude is defined in the CfgWorlds.hpp of the map.

6WPOMbK.png

I believe this is why the sun rises at different times, as russia is farther east than Napf. The time zones are different geographicly, even if they are on the same time.

• 3 months later...

Arma may seem like a pretty dumb engine, but it actually takes into count position on the globe. Chernarus is fictionally located around Russia. Napf is based off the mountain "Napf" located along the Swiss border.

The longitude and latitude is defined in the CfgWorlds.hpp of the map.

6WPOMbK.png

I believe this is why the sun rises at different times, as russia is farther east than Napf. The time zones are different geographicly, even if they are on the same time.

If I wanted to change this, how would I do it? Put the CfgWorlds.hpp in a custom folder in my mission file and call it from description.ext? I can't seem to find the CfgWorlds.hpp.

• 3 months later...

AFAIK CfgWorlds.hpp is not directly available as it is part of the map build process. You can see where it is pulled in to build config.bin (if you decode that file line 36 is start of Napf class). I don't believe you can override that but am no expert.

The position in the config.bin for Napf is

longitude = 47;
  latitude = -6;

You would need to re-binarize the whole island file if you wanted to change that.. If you want the sun to rise earlier, i suggest to change the month in your mission.biedi (I think that's where it is done?) e.g. to June or July.

what you could do, when you restart your server every 3 hours, is setting the clock after the third and/or fourth/fifth restart of a day to dusk, and then have x restarts with full night and the 7th or 8th restart would be dawn again. I am not a server admin, but i guess it could be handled by several mission.sqm (or .biedi) files with the times set accordingly, and have them run in a cycle. (edited)

what you could do, when you restart your server every 3 hours, is setting the clock at the third and/or fourth restart of a day to dusk, and then have 3 restarts with full night and the 6th restart would be dawn again. I am not a server admin, but i guess it could be handled by several mission.sqm (or .biedi) files with the times set accordingly, and have them run in a cycle.

Yeah I know about setting my server time 3 hours before sunset but that's not what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping for a way to make night shorter without having to speed up time. So far adjusting the latitude/longitude in the basic.cfg hasn't worked and I can't access that file that contains the hardcorded coordinates. I have no way to rotate the configs and make night on specific restarts.

• 3 weeks later...