Paint....Just simply paint.

Slayit

So I was playing on our server one day and I thought what if they added paint to the game like what the DayZ Standalone developers are doing? So then i made a topic sharing my ideas, 

1: Customizing Vehicles, 

(this is probably everyone is looking for in the new DayZ Standalone the ability to change what your vehicle looks like, Basically not the way the vehicle is built but the color of the vehicle itself, I bet there was a time when a few people would love to be able to change the way their pink SUV is shown to all their other friends.)

2: Camo Weapons,

(Camo weapons is used everywhere in most First Person shooters, just the ability to change a dinky ol' M4A1 into a stylish hand made piece of art that can be used to make a statement in combat makes everyone feel like they have power literally in their hands. Camo Weapons not only can be used to show off of how cool you are  .:(Or how cool you think you are):. it can be used to hide the part the ghillie suit can not, so you won't look like a bush with a black barrel sticking out of the front. ;) )

3: Painting Walls,

(Painting walls or painting a building for that matter probably isn't what anyone really thought about in a game like DayZ but really it is useful for outlaying territory, Organizing where specific vehicles go in your base, Or even giving directions to a persons happiness or demise)

._:Anyway those were just my ideas of what paint could be used for if added to DayZ, I know not a lot of topics give attention to the developers of Epoch but maybe if this gets enough attention maybe it will.  ^_^ :_.

For every repaint you need to spawn in a duplicate vehicle or structure with that paint scheme. 

Its possible now with the SUV's because there are different paint models but for structures you need to model all new structures for each color, code them and then figure out how to script them to switch with a previously built model.

The point is that a repaint isn't just changing a texture, its removing and replacing the entire item.

• 10 months later...

You could use setObjectTexture Command, but since the setObjectTexture is local to the caller, you would have to use setVehicleinit (which is JIP compatible) to let the object call a script which sets the texture on it.Havent tried it myself, but should theoretically work in multiplayer...

You could use setObjectTexture Command, but since the setObjectTexture is local to the caller, you would have to use setVehicleinit (which is JIP compatible) to let the object call a script which sets the texture on it.Havent tried it myself, but should theoretically work in multiplayer...

I think however the texture to be selected must still be part of the *object*.pbo. E.g. the famous bus has 2 different textures, 1 for Takistan, 1 for Chernarus. Although I hope I'm wrong here :) If it worked as described, I still don't really see a way to "texturize" an object ingame and then have it saved as a bitmap on the server..

yes, or you would need it in your mission folder as .paa or whatever...i do it with flagpoles like this..i spawn it serverside with a function using a eventhandler,  and set objecttexture with given path of the .paa picture works fine...i experimented with attachments to vehicles as well, but to let the player paint his car or weapon,it would be the challenge, to respawn it with the distinctive painting/texture/color ..the ability to store a variable in the database, which can be performed serverside on restart to set the texture

Rooting through admin tools...  specifically vehicle spawning.  It would be possible to do what you are saying by modifying vehicle spawn menu to check for

if typeof "(SUV array here)" = cursor target && distance < 2, then delete suv in range and...
_spawn = "SUV_TK_EP1";
_posplr = [((getPos player) select 0) + 2, ((getPos player) select 1) + 2, 0];
_dirplr = getDir player;
_spwnveh = _spawn createVehicle (_posplr);
_spwntex = _spawn setVehicleInit "this setObjectTexture [0, ""custom\suvcustom.paa""]";;
_spwnveh setVariable ["Sarge",1,true];

I added in the _spwntex bit.  You could then add the menu option for each custom texture. The problem is for each new vehicle type you have to have additional codding to support it and each texture option adds size to your misison pbo. Image files are easily the largest we work with and add up fast.  Additional code would need to be added to the end of this as well to then save it to the database so it didn't delete on server reset.

You would probably want to edit _posplr to point to the original vehicle's location instead of the players too.

Obviously, my code is incomplete and added as an example idea only.  It would not work in it's current state.

yes...or you put the following in server_monitor.sqf:

if (_object isKindOf "SUV_pink")  then {
                _object setVehicleInit "this setObjectTexture [0, ""custom\suvcustom.paa""]";    
                processInitCommands;
            };  

but as i said, to make it work with various "predefined" textures, you need to store a variable in database...I have a custom hive, where i can do so, but with the standart epoch hive it wont work (as far as i know) due to the child 999 / 998 hive calls arent part of the hive.dll anymore...you could use SUV pink with the one, suv_blue with another texture, and simply replace the vehicles on client repaint action.

Would be cool, to include the cfgModels for example through the mission.pbo...i read a thread about chnaging the zedloot this way, but not sure if it would work with models and so on...