Devs, I've found your new game engine.

airtonix

Outerra is nice but don't let Shininess fool you. The engine lacks a great deal of components. You will have to build a-lot of the game mechanics from scratch. There are many things that Arma brings that you don't see and take advantage of without even noticing.

I wouldn't recommend Outerra. It's Shiny, but not practical.

Some similar practical options are the Torque 3D Engine which is MIT Licensed and used in a popular building game called Blockland (http://www.blockland.us) then you can also use the upcoming Unreal 4 Engine. I have experience with both engines and if you ported i'd be trying to help via github. I don't help with Arma because the code just doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

@vbwol, yep would definitely throw money at an epoch like game in a large game world if it ran natively on linux. (seriously... fuck windows).

But looks like the tooling available to game developers still has a long way to go :

- no headless automated testing clients (in the spirit of phantomJS)

- heavy reliance on one specific editor (visual studio < lolwut?)

- still can't edit the map in a text editor. ergo the map can't be created with build tools.

Mainly my problem at this stage is two things :

- Clicking, if the only way to achieve something in the development workflow is to click a button with a mouse operated by a human hand, then you've just exploded the time frame required to release even one line of code.

- Microsoft and DirectX, Science moves forward by sharing results, the game industry can too when you stop relying on Microsoft. As strange as it might seem, it's still possible to be disgustingly profitable and highly performant while using only Linux.

Yes it would be big decision and a big change for sure. But i think it would be good investment if you want make better standalone games. Modding arma is one thing, making standalone games is another. If Epoch devs takes the time to learn cryengine, and developes Epoch standalone with that engine it would sell very well and after that experience they could do something else with their new skills and with that awesome engine. I would see that as investment for the future.

All of this was implied with changing engines.

It's also acceptable, and welcomed. PLEASE ruin everything for the chance at a new, clean, optimized engine and netcode.

Yep, cause Im sure a massive world like this wont have any problems like RV3.............. :rolleyes:

Yes it would be big decision and a big change for sure. But i think it would be good investment if you want make better standalone games. Modding arma is one thing, making standalone games is another. If Epoch devs takes the time to learn cryengine, and developes Epoch standalone with that engine it would sell very well and after that experience they could do something else with their new skills and with that awesome engine. I would see that as investment for the future.

Eh the only thing worse than making mods for Arma 2/3 is making mods for Cryengine based games... terribad.

Sure if you want something that is super restrictive and will take ages to develop for, then go for Cryengine.

If however you want unparalleled freedom in what you're able to achieve, then you'd be using Outterra or UnrealEngine4.

UNREAL ENGINE 4 looks promising, we are thinking of making a game using another game engine after A3 Epoch Mod is up and running.

Hello,

Well the engine itself is awesome I’m using it at the moment

We also got a Developers group in Skype for the Unreal Engine 4 which main purpose is to help other peoples

With around 150 people, each of them got skills in Developing with Unreal Engine 4.

If u want to try the engine just get in contact with me

Sorry for my English I am a native German

Small Examples:

l1yM0eR.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLK2c457qE&list=UUgKEilrD1EZ46fldI-q1FrA