[Official Release] EMS 0.3

Fuchs

Sorry if this has been covered (I have searched), but I'm a bit confused as to what is going on with the various mission systems.

If I am following, EMS 0.3 (based on DZMS) is now similarly written to WAI (using it's AI?), but is not actually WAI, and is moving to use DZAI, (and both DZAI and WAI are being separately maintained).  I also saw some comment that EMS is porting its missions to WAI, which is confusing.

I'd like to use a mission system that included the nasty AI in WAI (which I am using currently), and WAI missions seems decent.  What does EMS 0.3 bring to the table?

Sorry if this has been covered (I have searched), but I'm a bit confused as to what is going on with the various mission systems.

If I am following, EMS 0.3 (based on DZMS) is now similarly written to WAI (using it's AI?), but is not actually WAI, and is moving to use DZAI, (and both DZAI and WAI are being separately maintained).  I also saw some comment that EMS is porting its missions to WAI, which is confusing.

I'd like to use a mission system that included the nasty AI in WAI (which I am using currently), and WAI missions seems decent.  What does EMS 0.3 bring to the table?

I can understand the confusion that you and many others are experiencing. Fuchs, who has done a great deal recently, unfortunately has also managed to create a lot of the confusion by providing input on many different systems. This is not a criticism as such, just an observation. As many people have started devoting time to either SA or Arma 3, it's great that people like Fuchs pick up projects like missions and keep them going.

I look at it like this;

EMS is a bunch of missions that uses the in built AI system.

EMS missions are now combining with DZMS which is what we have here to create EMS 0.3

EMS is also going to provide support for DZAI (I assume that means the AI will be DZAI units and not the default Epoch units)

EMS is also going to become part of a larger project which will include WAI.

I hope I got most of that right, but one thing is for sure...more time could be spent actually fixing the existing missions before committing to others. I'm well aware that these are all submitted out of generosity to the community, and that's appreciated, but you can also expect many people to notice any issues and look to the developer for help.

Thanks for the summary, Kroenen.

We had to move away from EMS initially due to the very weak AI which was too easily defeated by players.  WAI, though perhaps a bit less varied on the missions, has very challenging AI.  If EMS is still using the default AI, I'd need to holdout until EMS gets WAI or DZAI included.

That said, what's with Fuchs saying EMS 0.3 now incorporates WAI?

"The code is better written and similar to WAI"

Maybe this is just internal and not related to the AI?

Thanks for the summary, Kroenen.

We had to move away from EMS initially due to the very weak AI which was too easily defeated by players.  WAI, though perhaps a bit less varied on the missions, has very challenging AI.  If EMS is still using the default AI, I'd need to holdout until EMS gets WAI or DZAI included.

That said, what's with Fuchs saying EMS 0.3 now incorporates WAI?

"The code is better written and similar to WAI"

Maybe this is just internal and not related to the AI?

He was commenting that the coding format and layout was similar to WAI.

My understanding of it is that users have asked him to do all of the above, and he has given feedback to all.

I believe he wanted to incorporate EMS with WickedAI to get the missions they have, and features they had.

He wants to change EMS to use DZAI which have 12000 blood systems, and are far more advanced than the vanilla AI.

EMS is currently using DZMS 1.0 as a base, as the old code was a mess. EMS and DZMS are not combining, i'm simply giving support with his system for now to see if anyone experiences any bugs that also need fixed in DZMS. It seems all the errors so far are from Fuchs trying to rapidly move the EMS missions over to my code base, and in doing so forgetting to do a lot of things.

Agreed Vampire. Having now looked at a lot of the missions code, it's so well commented that it's pretty easy to see how they all work, making it a whole lot easier to find problems and tailor them to suit your own server.

I think what I was trying to say is that Fuchs obviously has the ability, he just needs to narrow his focus a little and concentrate on making one excellent mod, rather than spreading himself too thinly.

I still pray for the day when someone gets close to the AI that was at Sector B in Origins. For all it's faults, they did seem to get their AI just right! :)

I really like the new system except for one thing. The random loot is very bad on everything but the weapons.

The "supply" type would be cool if it spawned more than 1 bucket of mortar and 8 sandbags.

I got a bandage and 1 blood bag and 2 antibiotics in a "meds" crate.

Is there a way in the sqf that fills the boxes, to make the random integer between two values? like for cinder blocks a random number between 10 and 30?

I need to give my players a reason to run the missions. I don't think they will for 14 crowbars and 1 cinder block.

which part do i change? im confused with the new way it is setup.

I know its random but can i make it spawn higher numbers?

for _x from 0 to 8

is how many items to pick from the say the sniper rifle array. It could pick the same sniper multiple times, its random. It will choose 8 snipers.

(round(random(4)) is how many items of the sniper it chose this time to add to the crate, which is a random of 0 up to 4.

Do the ai have rocket launchers to take down vehicles and helicopters?

If not how would I go about giving them but making them despawn on death?

Anyone had any progress on this? Old EMS system was pretty simple to configure giving the AI RPGs. Just not sure how to go about it in this version. Ideally in a way that removes the RPG weps on death.

Have you checked just above that in the RPT to see what mission causes that error? From what I've seen so far, the DZMSFunctions.sqf file is fine, but some missions create that error by not sending the functions the correct info. If the issue was in the DZMSFunctions files itself, it would happen on every mission.

If you take a look at the mission file that causes the error, you may see the problem or find someone else has already reported a fix.

Heres the full error in the RPT, I don't think its a mission issue as it occurs as soon as the server initializes the EMS.

18:06:49 "[DZMS]: Running Minor Mission SM10."
18:06:51 Error in expression <"_object","_objectID"];
_object = _this select 0;

_objectID = str(round(random >
18:06:51   Error position: <select 0;

_objectID = str(round(random >
18:06:51   Error select: Type Object, expected Array,Config entry
18:06:51 File z\addons\dayz_server\EMS\DZMSFunctions.sqf, line 157