Safe weapon slot change

ZingFreelancer

Safe weapon slot change was fucking stupid. You do not do that kind of shit without thinking about the consequences, people use safes for storage, weapons, car keys and other important things to them. Then you half the storage space available to them and remove HALF OF THEIR ITEMS.

Whatever reason you had to change safe storage size, that was the wrong way to do it.

It didn't remove half of their items. After the update if they had too many items in their safe it would dump all those items on the ground like packing a safe. 

In addition this change has been noted in the change-log for nearly a month and this forum had clarification on what would happen when you had too many items. Before any admin updates his server to a new version he should know damn well what those changes are, what they might affect, and if it looks like it might adversely affect any of his players notify them. Blame the owner of the server who updated it and didn't let you know or if you are the owner... well.. I just don't know what more to say.

I am your average player, I do appreciate an update, but I do not go look for info on what is coming in the update. Yes the admin should have been to blame, but there are different types of admins out there. The update came late on the server where I was playing, so I just logged off and went to sleep having no idea all the items would "fall out" and vanish on next server reboot. Or even that the safes were being changed, come on! They are the safes, aside from some minor bugs they are fine!

But that is not why I made this thread, I made it to point out to the creator of the mod that there are things he do and things he should not do. The safe change was careless and thoughtless move on his behalf. Safes are considered to be relatively safe way to store items, yes, sometimes there are bugs. But nothing that cannot be fixed by removing and placing bugged safe a new. So far as I can guess the bug is probably some place in between the commit function and SQL, not safe storage capacity. Could also be because of an item with name that contain some odd characters that can cause bugs.

My point being, safes are places where people store items. They put things in there and expect them to stay in there unless the safe gets removed. What the patch done is unprofessional and thoughtless move that ruined a lot of things for myself and many players on the server I play on. Yes, blame the admin, but now the admin is going to be just as frustrated when all the people going to complain to him because they lost either half their possessions or half their vehicle keys.

Yes, there are a lot of buts and bits that could have, should have, might have been done different by the admin of the server or whatever. But I am just a player who were looking forward to the weekend with dayz and friends, I logged in today to the game I love to play, find half my stuff missing and my heart just fell. Then I started looking into why it happened, find out it the brilliant mind who put the patch together is responsible for that and my heart fell even further down.

Does not matter who you are, Blizzard CEO or a popular modder, you do not make a game breaking change without taking the consequences in account, you just dont do that.

I added a scheduled message that said 'safe capacity would be halfed in the next patch, full details on our forum'

Took seconds to setup cause it was obvious players would be caught out.

Also the contents were not wiped, they spilled out on the floor after being opened for the first time after updating, nobody loses anything, just pick them back up.

The cause of the bug is still ongoing, Epoch devs made a decision to reduce the capacity after it was disucssed and thought the best option.

It would be unprofessional to ignore the bug, granted it never worked but it was done, these things happen.

I added a scheduled message that said 'safe capacity would be halfed in the next patch, full details on our forum'

Took seconds to setup cause it was obvious players would be caught out.

Also the contents were not wiped, they spilled out on the floor after being opened for the first time after updating, nobody loses anything, just pick them back up.

The cause of the bug is still ongoing, Epoch devs made a decision to reduce the capacity after it was disucssed and thought the best option.

It would be unprofessional to ignore the bug, granted it never worked but it was done, these things happen.

Good for you man, I bet your players appreciate you for it. But level with me pal.

The content got spilled on the ground yes, but if you were not there to pick it up or something got fucked up and server had to restart 5 minutes after the update, you still lost your gear.

Not to mention the change did not solve the issue it was intended to solve. It should have been tested properly before committing it to the build, especially when it impacts gameplay in such big way for every single player. (unless you dont own a safe)

I am aware that this is just a mod and its based on a two years old mod that never came out of alpha. I know there are bugs in the game that can cause you to die just because you walk over a rock or crawled near a wall. There are bugs that can cause the content of a safe to gradually vanish. But its unprofessional to make a change to the core game play that results in players loosing large chunks of their items.

Some people hold the contents of their safes in too high regard. It's a game. If it bothers you this much to lose virtual items that have no real value, there's something psychologically wrong with you. If you think the dev team is unprofessional, perhaps you can join them and bring some professionalism to their team.

Good for you man, I bet your players appreciate you for it. But level with me pal.

The content got spilled on the ground yes, but if you were not there to pick it up or something got fucked up and server had to restart 5 minutes after the update, you still lost your gear.

Not to mention the change did not solve the issue it was intended to solve. It should have been tested properly before committing it to the build, especially when it impacts gameplay in such big way for every single player. (unless you dont own a safe)

I am aware that this is just a mod and its based on a two years old mod that never came out of alpha. I know there are bugs in the game that can cause you to die just because you walk over a rock or crawled near a wall. There are bugs that can cause the content of a safe to gradually vanish. But its unprofessional to make a change to the core game play that results in players loosing large chunks of their items.

I see your point, I agree and also disagree with you :)

I knew and other admins who visit the forums knew well in advance (2 weeks easily) that the change was coming, your server admin should of notified you.

However some of the responsibilty has to lie with you, when a new update is released were you not curious to see what changes were made ?

The change logs found Here stated the following :

[CHANGED] Lowered Safe weapon storage count to 25, to address reports of more safe inventory issues after it was raised to 50. @vbawol

Yes maybe they could of tested it more thoroughly but the guys work for free, they don't get paid to do this and Epoch is currently the #1 Dayz mod, It has more servers online than any other mod, also 1.0.4 brought in support for 2 brand new maps.

I just think maybe you should give the guys a break, the information was posted in advance, things could of been done differently and it's not the end of the world :)

Any decent admin could of replaced your lost gear as well, it's all stored inside the database.

Guys, I know its only virtual items, but that the point. The problem is that it took time to gather these items, store and organize them. But with a swift update all that time have been nullified along with the virtual items. Its as if you lost 24 hours of your life for no reason. Anyway, have to stop being melodramatic.

Yes, its the admins fault, he could have done a better job warning players, especially when he knew what's coming and yada yada yada. Knowing all that still does not help the bad taste I got in my mouth after logging in this morning and understanding that all the time and work I put into that stupid, broken game has been halved and there is nothing I can do about it.

Being a programmer and a game design student I just cant understand what logic devs used when they decided to go with the change, it was far too careless. If this had been any other commercial game and not a dayz epoch mod, the forums would have been full of raging players. But then again, what do I know? Am just feeling sad.

So... this is what -I- did not even as a server admin/owner. I went to the forums of the server I play on and made a post. I let everyone know, including the owner, so they could in turn put a warning into the MOTD. Turns out we are probably switching maps which will be a DB wipe anyway so it isn't a really big deal, but I make it a point for every game I play that has frequent updates to check in on the changelogs between patches so that I don't feel the need to come onto a website and accuse the developers of being shortsighted. Instead I get a preview and know what to expect and don't get caught angry with my pants around my ankles, sticky, cold, and wondering why there is $50 on the nightstand.

Some people hold the contents of their safes in too high regard. It's a game. If it bothers you this much to lose virtual items that have no real value, there's something psychologically wrong with you. If you think the dev team is unprofessional, perhaps you can join them and bring some professionalism to their team.

There is nothing psychologically wrong with getting upset over the "time" it took to gather the items lost.

It is entirely down to your admins to make the players aware of changes like this. The average player is not to blame though you should do your part to help the community you are in, 9/10 communities are run as a hobby, for fun and for non-profit (as is mine) and there is only so much they can do without the support of their regular members.

Epoch is developed as a hobby, for fun and non-profit and requires the server hosters and related communities to help them out aswell.

We did our part as:

We announced it on our site here as soon as we knew it was going to happen - http://www.cpc-gaming.eu/home/m/12670047/article/2033303

and you've reminded me to take down a sticky that I put up in November when we found out about the reason that this change happened, its not ever been a secret hidden soon to happen change, its been in the works and needed for around 4+ months.

http://www.cpc-gaming.eu/forum/m/12670048/viewthread/9425690-dayz-potential-safe-issue

Some of us are on the ball.

The mod is an Alpha of an Alpha of Arma2 - What possibly could ever go wrong!?

Give the developers a break, not everything is their fault!

Though global warming, that one you can pin on them.. you'd be closer with that accusation than blaming them for not giving people enough warning, time or a solution to the problem of using your safe for the first time.

If you can't see loads of items on the ground after you open the safe, then they obviously arent that important to you.

Good job on the update Epoch devs, some cracking work coming out lately and the mod is getting very polished indeed!

There is nothing psychologically wrong with getting upset over the "time" it took to gather the items lost.

"Oh no! I spent 20 minutes of my hobby time picking up the stuff I spent hours and hours acquiring in the first place. I am now 20 minutes behind on my loot run to the nearest barracks to get more duplicates of the things I just picked up from the ground. All because I can't be assed to read patch notes for a game that I appear to take too seriously."

No really, if you take the game THAT SERIOUS then you should probably be serious enough to read patch notes once in a while. 

OP besides, Sequisha what is the major difference between something like a storage shed and a safe? The storage sheds have never, in my experience had any issues with them but very rarely safes did. The problems I encountered with safes was a random, and complete deletion of the magazine rather than weapons. 

I have noticed the DB has been a bit flakey recently between writing changes to it. 

And OP, everyone was well warned with this change. If you were not then it is the admins fault. You should be grateful of the Epoch devs methods, when I was playing Origins the devs for that mod deleted every ones NVG's at a time where they have full night cycles, no moonlight nights and with the game time set to winter. They also reduced the capacity of peoples storage without any warning. 

If you can't see loads of items on the ground after you open the safe, then they obviously arent that important to you.

The items fell out right after the server came up after the update, not when I opened safes for the first time...

Anyway, time to put this behind us, anyone know when they will return safes to 50 weapon slots capacity?

Yes the admin should have been to blame, but there are different types of admins out there. 

Perhaps you should find a server where the admins post important information that will be changing.

and its doubtful that the safes will be chaging back to 50 anytime in the near future.

Make a "Safe" room in your base, triple cinder walls, with 20 lockboxes inside, then you can hold like 400 guns :)

Perhaps you should find a server where the admins post important information that will be changing.

and its doubtful that the safes will be chaging back to 50 anytime in the near future.

Make a "Safe" room in your base, triple cinder walls, with 20 lockboxes inside, then you can hold like 400 guns :)

Or buy two safes instead of one? There are lots of ways to earn money and 1 more Briefcase isn't horrible. 

I got 11... Safes...

Well there is your problem right there. I can't see any reason to have that many safes. Repeat after me:

I can only carry one weapon at a time. Therefore having 8 of the same gun is futile and silly. If I haven't used a gun in more than a week, I probably won't ever use it and so it doesn't need to be kept. I don't really need 15 Night Vision Goggles. I could have 1 10oz gold and a spare NVG and if I end up using the spare go buy another spare. I only ever need one key to carry for a vehicle and one spare in the safe. I don't need 10 vehicles. I should keep the ones I drive the most often and maybe a fuel truck and sell the rest. If they are being used as storage then I REALLY have way too much stuff. 

Hording in a game where you can visit the trader and pick up the same gun/item is... silly.