help want to increase FPS server epoch dayz

snake_diman

Question

Hello ALL!

I do not know where to write about this problem, but would like to increase the FPS on your server Dayz eras. Players complain about the low FPS. FPS sags in large cities and the airport. Reduced spawn zombies! Reduced litter on the server! What else to do? Remove the building at the airport? Remove the machine on the server? it will help or not?

Scripts on my server: anyone interested IP server 94.250.254.127:2702

24 answers to this question

So many questions:

Is it a new server?  How old is it?

Is it a hosted server or dedicated?

Do you have maintenance enabled or do player building pieces never decay?

How many objects on your server?  What does the .rpt log say?

What is your server FPS at 5 players, 10 players and 15 players, etc...?

Do you have custom scripts loading in additional buildings?

Do you have AI and helis?  How many AI?

How many sensors i.e. domes and safe zones do you have in your mission.sqm?

Do you have wild zombies enabled?

How many animals are being spawned?

Since Arma2 never was meant to spawn "loot" and "zombies" the client performance suffers alot.

Especially on Epoch its nearly impossible to host high playercount servers, thats why like every server is running on 50 slots max.

Its because of the engine !111

admin TOOLS, sarge ai.TOW, BTC, R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG

Remove that!

Since Arma2 never was meant to spawn "loot" and "zombies" the client performance suffers alot.

Especially on Epoch its nearly impossible to host high playercount servers, thats why like every server is running on 50 slots max.

Its because of the engine !111

Remove that!

So sarge ai is also the reason?

Sarge AI doesn't help especially the Helis.  Your object count is low (new server so that isn't an issue)

Do you have building scripts?  If you do I'd remove all of them and see how it goes (as a test).  Most building scripts (e.g. extra towns, fortified Cherno, extra buildings in NWAF, prison) don't really add much value.  All it does is suck up buildable capacity for players.  Also if players has to render so much junk on their screens their FPS will drop on top of the server FPS hit you will be taking.  If you have to add extra buildings cherry pick choice ones to add value to specific areas on the map.

Either use the maintenance mechanic in the game to destroy stale objects or use a script to delete objects owned by inactive players.  You have be on top of the total rows in the object_data table. 

if you setup the default sarge scripts you will have way too many ai on the server unless you are playing alone with a friend or maybe 2

try check how many you got, i bet it will be like 200+ atleast ... (allunits-playableunits)

remove all heli/vehicle patrols and reduce the overall number of ai spawning on the server (static and/or gridspawning) and you should be fine

Sarge AI doesn't help especially the Helis.  Your object count is low (new server so that isn't an issue)

Do you have building scripts?  If you do I'd remove all of them and see how it goes (as a test).  Most building scripts (e.g. extra towns, fortified Cherno, extra buildings in NWAF, prison) don't really add much value.  All it does is suck up buildable capacity for players.  Also if players has to render so much junk on their screens their FPS will drop on top of the server FPS hit you will be taking.  If you have to add extra buildings cherry pick choice ones to add value to specific areas on the map.

Either use the maintenance mechanic in the game to destroy stale objects or use a script to delete objects owned by inactive players.  You have be on top of the total rows in the object_data table. 

if you setup the default sarge scripts you will have way too many ai on the server unless you are playing alone with a friend or maybe 2

try check how many you got, i bet it will be like 200+ atleast ... (allunits-playableunits)

remove all heli/vehicle patrols and reduce the overall number of ai spawning on the server (static and/or gridspawning) and you should be fine

thanks  you! 

So, I'm helping with scripting on a server, and we're trying to get closer to the root of the problem with our very low server FPS (5 @ restart (3hr cycles)).

Server Specs:

Dedicated VM (XEN HVM domU)

Server 2012R2 x64

Xeon E5-2690 v2 @ 3ghz (6cpus)

6Gb ram

Supposedly running on an SSD, but I'm not positive with that

Scripts: (too many, I know)

Config based Trader

Snap Pro

PP4L

JAEM

Extra Buildables

Enhanced Spawn Select

Zupa SCC w/ Soul Hive V1

Mining

BTC Logistic Lift

DZGM (Group Mgt)

Mf-Tow

Service Points

Craftable Bike/Moto/Mozzie

CEN Custom HUD

Elevators

AGN SafeZone, Auto-Epi, Suicide, Vehicle Key Changer

We also are running DZMS and WAI (newer version) on the Server Side, as well as a 60AI FNG AI City.  We have a few Epoch events (4-5 crashes, hourly IKEA)

We have just shy of 13k items in our object data table.  We have started cracking down on base size.  We had a 500 item limit, now we have set it to 300.  I just tried running a very short cycle maintenance period to try clearing out anything we could from the map, but 12k items have been updated/maintained within the last two days.  We've been averaging up to 35-40 players a night, though I'm not sure it is the same crew all of the time. 

Short of wiping the server, I'm not sure of the best route to take to help the performance.  I've noticed spikes of 100% on the Disk I/O, so I'm not sure if getting a better disk system on the VM would help, but it has been suggested by some of our admins/scripters.

What suggestions would you folks have?  Thanks for your help!

13k objects <—— there is your problem. Go with more agressive cleaning, make building materials cost more, make building limit lower, make maintain cost more.

Anything over 6k will start causing problems on populated server.

Hmm, i script on servers that can handle 12k objects with 40+ players.

It does influence, but not @ 5 fps.

My best guess is that 60 AI constantly does no good ^^ an 2 AI frameworks doesnt seems to be needed?

Check if there are any scripts crashing in your rpt. I had Fast Roping ones, And when that crashed the whole server had 10 fps haha ^^

You can also optimise Dayz Group Management, cus this isnt really that well optimised ( example):

_center = getMarkerPos "center";
_plist = _center nearEntities [["AllVehicles"], 12000];
{if (str(_x) == _playerData) then {_target = _x;_check = 1;};} count _plist;

And

{
	if ((!isNull _x) && (getPlayerUID _x != "")) then {
		if (getPlayerUID _x != getPlayerUID player) then {
			_namestr = name(_x);             
			_index = _playerListBox lbAdd _namestr;
			_playerListBox lbSetData [_index, str(_x)];  
		};
	};	    
} count _plist;

As you can see for some strange reason it is made so it checks ANY VEHICLE in 12000 fucking meters From the center over the map.

Then, it loops trough ALL of them to check if it's a player.

now, Arma has a simple command that gets all the players in game:

playableUnits

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/playableUnits

For the ammount of scripts, it's ok, i probably make the same ammount ( Not all the same ones, and ai only at missions and i optimize them in my server structure tho).

Wild guess aswell, but you probably also have a shit ton of map edits?

You can also optimise Dayz Group Management, cus this isnt really that well optimised ( example):

{if (str(_x) == _playerData) then {_target = _x;_check = 1;};} count _plist;

And

{
	if ((!isNull _x) && (getPlayerUID _x != "")) then {
		if (getPlayerUID _x != getPlayerUID player) then {
			_namestr = name(_x);             
			_index = _playerListBox lbAdd _namestr;
			_playerListBox lbSetData [_index, str(_x)];  
		};
	};	    
} count _plist;

As you can see for some strange reason it is made so it checks ANY VEHICLE in 12000 fucking meters From the center over the map.

Then, it loops trough ALL of them to check if it's a player.

now, Arma has a simple command that gets all the players in game:

playableUnits

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/playableUnits

Maybe you should do some optimizing and re-release it?  I doubt Ebaydayz would mind if you ask nicely.  :)

As far as I am aware, I do not believe we have a ton of map customizations, though the AI area (with the 60) has a fair number of large buildings. Our elevator script occasionally throws an error, but otherwise I've managed to get the rats nest to play nice.

We had both mission systems since WAI used to only throw a single mission at a time. We will probably drop/integrate DZMS into our WAI missions to help clean up the server side.

With server FPS dropping down to 1-2 when we get the server up to 35-40 players, all sorts of things trying to talk to the database get broken. Even stock scripts start throwing errors in the RPT.

Interesting side note:

I have a test server configured on our VDS that uses a database within the same SQL Server instance. I tried wiping the test server database, and still got pretty terrible server fps. This was a pretty short term test, but I don't know if it is indicative of anything. The test server exe's and such live on the same disk as the live server, so I'm thinking that any hardware related issues would impact the test setup as well.

When I run the server files on my local test server, all runs smoothly.

But does CAManBase include players in vehicles?

I'm not sure.

But AllVehicles doesnt do the same i guess? i remember that poeple who are not on the list were in vehicles before i changed it. ( maybe that was an older release, never looked in that code before recent times, but prettysure that was the same case, if he didnt change it on a later point).

Interesting side note:

I have a test server configured on our VDS that uses a database within the same SQL Server instance. I tried wiping the test server database, and still got pretty terrible server fps. This was a pretty short term test, but I don't know if it is indicative of anything. The test server exe's and such live on the same disk as the live server, so I'm thinking that any hardware related issues would impact the test setup as well.

U tried rebooting the device? 

CAManBase does not include players in vehicles.  I made the change to _plist as suggested, and those in vehicles were no longer picked up by the loadmanagement routine.  I'm not sure it would put a terrible load on the system by leaving it scanning the vehicles, as it calls that part of the addon only when pulling up the menu, correct?

As for rebooting the virtual machine, I guess I hadn't thought about trying that, so the answer is no, I did not reboot the virtual machine.

Interesting side note:

In my experience Arma games don't run well on a virtual environment.  Performance on bare metal hardware is WAY better.

I was add in variables dont update objects, and get my custom objects on trade city.

For max FPS on server you need more events and less missions with AI, on pvp server it's work viry nice.

Minimalize zombies count, you can balance that with high damage, from zombies, and killing only head.

Minimalize custom objects, i have on all my buildings file only 88 kb

Disable InfiStar debug, and put custom Big Egg's debug monitor on press insert. It will update player stats only on press key.

Disable dynamic vehicle's on map.

Do cleanUp non active vehicles and bases.

Delete non used functions & configs.