Concern: breaking of tools during construction

ekroemer

In the changelog I read:

[CHANGED] Base building items now have a 10% chance * (DE-constuction count) to break tools

Do I understand that correctly: after each construction stage you have a 90% chance that your tool is still intact?

That means that after the typical 5 stages you only have a chance of 0.9^5 = 59% to finish with an intact toolbox. That alone seems pretty low.

It gets much worse if construction is canceled once the tools break and you have to begin anew.

41% is the chance of losing one or more toolboxes, the probability of losing multiple is quite high.

I hope that you'll reconsider this design change or at least will allow construction to finish even if the toolbox breaks so you'll lose at most 1 toolbox per each finished item.

Tool breakage is only for removals. We are also going to lower the default construction counts for lower end items to 1-5 and the higher end items will be 5-10. If you build something that takes 5 stages and hide your plot pole others will have 10 stages to remove If you take your plot pole with you then anyone can remove at 5 stages.

2 stages to remove = (0.9^2 = 81% success rate)

5 stages to remove = (0.9^5 = 59% success rate)

10 stages to remove = (0.9^10 = 34% success rate)

20 stages to remove = (0.9^20 = 12% success rate)

Sorry I missed this post before I posted my response to the tool breaking.

Currently on our server, we are only affected by the tool breaking because none of us are destroying each other's stuff. Its a non-PVP server. So instead it makes a bunch of work for us to go and get a tool. I just lost 2 crowbars and a toolbox in 10-15min trying to remove my plot pole, which was down to help a newcomer make his base start.

I think a better solution can be created for the PVP servers to 'hinder' and 'deter' people from destroying someone's base than randomly destroying a tool.

Also I have noticed that you can't deconstruct very many things other than hescos, sandbags, and the plot pole anyway. So I guess I don't understand all the frustration on a PVP server of people having their bases destroyed.

The destruction is coming from them destroying the stuff, not deconstructing. We have no options for example, to remove a wooden shack, or shed, or any of the other structures other than hescos and sandbags.