Suggestion: Safe capacity

ekroemer

Hi there,

we seem to have to accept that toolbelt items count as weapons when placed into a container.

Specifically when talking about safes this is a major disadvantage: every key (I like to store duplicates made with the keymaker set there, too), every GPS/Rangefinder, even a box of matches occupies one of the few weapon slots.

I assume the problem will become more prominent with the next update: a 10% chance per construction step to break tools equals to a less than 60% chance that your tools will be intact after the 5 construction steps needed for bulding a shed etc.

That means that you'll have to hoard toolboxes in your base (where else would you build) and those take up weapon slots, too.

So I'd suggest that in order to overcome the unrealistic ToolbeltItem=Weapon link the Weapon capacity of safes should be increased drastically, even if this is unrealistic, too.

I don't see much of a downside here, as there is no advantage to putting dozens of weapons into the safe.

How would the storage amount be changed? I have thought some vehicles as well need to be tweaked but not sure how to do it.

Its a shame there is not a way to have say 500 slots and each item uses 1 slot regardless of what it is. So could have 500 guns or 500 backpacks or 500 food tins... lets face it, you wouldnt open the back of a van to put a tin of food in and then cos you have 50 already chuck it on the floor... you would put it in any gap avaliable.

Im guessing its an arma 2 problem though but is there not a way to say split the 500 in 3 and have it auto adjust so if you had 100 cans already, the remaining 400 woild still be split by 3

Hope that makes sence lol

I believe there is already another topic about this, something about a gun safe.

Anyways, the issue is this.

As for Gear Storage, ARMA2, classifies everything into one of 3 types:

Weapon/Magazine/Bag

Then there is a second problem. Toolbelt items are considered weapons.

This is all in the code and impossible to change.

So what can be done?

Well the obvious answer is to increase the weapon alotment of a safe.

(Since you asked, in the code for every 'vehicle' there are three lines that determine this Weapon/Magazine/Bag sizing, its easyish to change)

However, what i think might be better...

Is to allow a state-change.

Take the hatchet right? There is a script that turns it from a toolbelt item into a weapon (in your active inventory, not the gear of a vehicle, it will always be a weapon). What I wonder is if it would be possible to make a script to change a Key from a Toolbelt/Weapon type into a Main Inventory/Magazine slot. With the coding for the whole unlocking thing, which I am not familiar with, I dont know how possible this would be.

If it was possible however, you could take a key and right click and choose an option that would simply say "Take off Toolbelt", this would (in the script) convert it to a Magazine slot item. Then you could store it in the safe as a magazine slot item. When you take it out of the safe, in order to use it, you would need to "Put On Toolbelt" to actually be able to use it as a key again.

This would fix the storage issue.

Again, I havent looked at the key scripts so I don't know if this is possible or not. 

I know its possible with ANYTHING else though. On a server I used to run, i created some custom scripts to turn Hatchets/Toolboxes/Etc into Magazine slot items for storage.

Of course...we could approach the issue from another angle.

Instead of messing with the keys...mess with the tools. Create scripts to convert them from your toolbelt(weapon) to a main inventory(magazine) slot item. Of course, it wouldnt be usable as a tool after this conversion (until you convert it back) BUTTTTTT it would allow you to store them as a magazine instead of a weapon in a vehicle/safe/tent. Since there is no funky coding with the tools (unlike the keys) this would be a much better way to handle it.

The only downside of this option is new item class's would need to be created for each tool and two scripts would need to be created (remove from toolbelt/add to toolbelt) and attached appropriately. The creation of the item class wouldnt be hard as itd be just visual. 

So yeh. This would solve the issue. Honestly I think my 2nd suggestion would be easier and more stable with less problems.