Safe Cracking

Dobrowney

From what I can tell, there is the required unlock animation between each attempt so cracking a safe is nearly impossible time-wise.

Oh yeah it's all but impossible. 9999 possible combinations and there cant be any other way to crack it? The safes alone turn this into a slightly better done origins. I honestly say some way to crack it that costs 3-4 briefcases and has a 25% chance to unlock it and the other 75% it breaks. It takes an unrealistic amount of time to do this. At the very least get rid of that animation so it is even remotely doable.

Oh yeah it's all but impossible. 9999 possible combinations and there cant be any other way to crack it? The safes alone turn this into a slightly better done origins. I honestly say some way to crack it that costs 3-4 briefcases and has a 25% chance to unlock it and the other 75% it breaks. It takes an unrealistic amount of time to do this. At the very least get rid of that animation so it is even remotely doable.

Or just drop it and accept that the Epoch Devs said safes are going to be unbreakable.

To be honest, I find safes somewhat vulnerable as they are. You can't lock if someone is in range and you have a long locking and unlocking animation that has to be done independently and takes time. In the case of a safe that's not well covered in the center of the base this makes it very easy for it to be camped (once the owner is identified) and accessed when you kill them as they unlock it. I think putting more of a focus on the player improving and adapting their own and group gameplay strategies to gain access to safes is much healthier for the mod than providing any single 'dollar bill' alternative. People who don't sweep or secure the location near their safes prior to accessing should be punished in some way and increasing the risks associated with opening and closing would encourage that vigilance.

If you just provide a really expensive item that can be used to open a safe, what you essentially have is a way for the people with the most money to get perpetually richer.

To be honest, I find safes somewhat vulnerable as they are. You can't lock if someone is in range and you have a long locking and unlocking animation that has to be done independently and takes time. In the case of a safe that's not well covered in the center of the base this makes it very easy for it to be camped (once the owner is identified) and accessed when you kill them as they unlock it. I think putting more of a focus on the player improving and adapting their own and group gameplay strategies to gain access safes is much healthier for the mod than providing any single 'dollar bill' alternative. People who don't sweep or secure the location near their safes prior to accessing should be punished in some way and increasing the risks associated with opening and closing would encourage vigilance.

If you just provide a really expensive item that can be used to open a safe, what you essentially have is a way for the people with the most money to get perpetually richer.

Totally agree.  I remember talking to Dean way back when DayZ was first released and the constant cries for more "features" that simply reduced the need to use your head and focus on survival. 

Its so easy to ask for more but the end result is what the above post states:  Most features just create a ay for those with the most money to get perpetually richer. 

The original DayZ made a guy with a makerov potentially just as dangerous as the guy who had been playing for weeks and that's what DayZ was about. 

With a combination of 4 digits, that leaves 10,000 possible pins, you would need to try about 2000 per minute for 5 minutes.. if there was a max attempt of 3 per minute.... problem solved..

I feel like this thread won't die because people who have never actually interacted with a safe have some sort of preconceived idea about how they work.

Safes are not crackable right now. At all. Barring some sort of game-breaking exploit, there's a timer/forced animation on both the locking and unlocking of safes. This simple delay means brute forcing them is effectively impossible. You're not going to wait 15 seconds per attempt in a brute force when there are so many possible combinations.

There are so many more important things to improve on this mod than some irrational fear about a non-existent issue.

"There are so many more important things to improve on this mod than some irrational fear about a non-existent issue."

Exactly.  We have been told that safes will remain unbreakable and theres that one guy that knows a guy who has a cousin that heard of a safecracking macro but no evidence. 

Interesting topic. I found a guy sitting in front of a Garage picking the lock. Watched him sit there for about 10 minutes before he unlocked it (he was already busy) - it was a high numbered lock btw.

This after he already cracked a normal locked door to get to the Garage door in the 1st place. Door combo's have 3 numbers, so that is 1000 possible combo's. Do people go around cracking 3 digit locks a lot on Epoch? Is it a common thing? Or do the guys that actually do this use some "extra tools"?

I'd think trying to crack a 3 digit lock can take up to an hour+ if you are not lucky, but its hard to believe ppl would actually sit there and try all those combo's

Interesting topic. I found a guy sitting in front of a Garage picking the lock. Watched him sit there for about 10 minutes before he unlocked it (he was already busy) - it was a high numbered lock btw.

This after he already cracked a normal locked door to get to the Garage door in the 1st place. Door combo's have 3 numbers, so that is 1000 possible combo's. Do people go around cracking 3 digit locks a lot on Epoch? Is it a common thing? Or do the guys that actually do this use some "extra tools"?

I'd think trying to crack a 3 digit lock can take up to an hour+ if you are not lucky, but its hard to believe ppl would actually sit there and try all those combo's

The 3 digit lock can be cracked pretty fast since the menu isn't requiring a full animation after each attempt.  People do try all those combos often times in groups because this is somehow better than just knocking down a wall. 

It takes about 10 minutes to try all 1000 combinations. This is apparently being fixed in the next patch with a ui reset between each attempt.

I actually like both safecracking and doorcracking as it is now. If you don't want your base penetrated, than use your imagination.

And yes, i do pick all the combinations for the doors. Manually - as i'd do IRL with combination locks. For the safes - i'd rather just wait for a guy to come by and shoot his face when the safe is opened. But trying all 10000... well a bit less than 10000 combinations is an option as well and the time is a good price for it.

Deal with it. And remember - nothing is safe in DayZ. Wise placing and proper architecture are your friends (Deep in woods, for example, instead of no-braining like picking up Zub or Rog or DC, or Cherno and then crying on forums, why so many people wander around and sneak into your base)

But i'll offer my idea on safecracking, behold:

stethoscope! Rare loot from medical zombies (like combolock from redshirts or lockbox from wealthy zombies).

Using it on safe reveals:

a) Random number from the code 

b) Code first\second\third\last number

c) Either the number for code is odd or even

in the result, the safecracking still will be difficult, but at the same time it will be easier.

For safecracking, why not pop up with a complex circuit and have the player trying to crack the safe have to rewire the combination?

A new tool by the name of Needle-Nose pliers and a knife would suffice.

I imagine I could whip up a nice interface with wires that could be messed with. If a wire is placed in the wrong area, it will disable access to the safe for an amount of time, or electrocute the player (make them start shaking and stop cracking the safe)

This could add a level of experience to cracking safes, so not any new player can go to your safe and crack it with ease.

As for door locks, I think that multiple locks would be neat. An implementation of this could just extend the CharacterID with the use of hyphens or just a string of numbers:

Lock 1 - 1337

Lock 2 - 6999

Lock 3 - 9001

CharacterID - 1337-6999-9001 or 133769999001

This could be split up by using (I can't find a split function for Arma 2):

Lock 1 - floor(CharacterID/1000000) -> returns 1337

Lock 2 - floor((CharacterID-(Lock1*1000000))/1000) -> returns 6999

Lock 3 - floor((CharacterID-((Lock1*1000000)*(Lock2*1000))) -> returns 9001

The function listed above is not at ALL an elegant way of going about splitting the character id, but in a zombie state of consciousness, this will do.

The problem here is that all server economies differ tremendously. 

Some servers have 3rd party drops with loaded briefcases, some run traditional and earn gold through direct sales...and even then everyone has prices adjusted to tailor their server.

If we were to roll out some type of balanced way to essentially 'crack a safe', It would have to be balanced and available in relatively equal efforts for all Epoch players.

But i'll offer my idea on safecracking, behold:

stethoscope! Rare loot from medical zombies (like combolock from redshirts or lockbox from wealthy zombies).

Using it on safe reveals:

a) Random number from the code 

B) Code first\second\third\last number

c) Either the number for code is odd or even

in the result, the safecracking still will be difficult, but at the same time it will be easier.

Lol. It's an electronic safe you silly goose.

Then they should be made mechanical, because srsly:

Lol. It's an electronic safe you silly goose.

>> Implying that electronic locks won't be damaged/deteriorated within years or decades of zombie apocalypse without proper maintenance.

Who will have the resources to build and program electronic locks for safe after years\decades of the worldwide disaster?

Then they should be made mechanical, because srsly:

>> Implying that electronic locks won't be damaged/deteriorated within years or decades of zombie apocalypse without proper maintenance.

Who will have the resources to build and program electronic locks for safe after years\decades of the worldwide disaster?

We shouldn't have tires or fuel either then.  They would have gone bad by now.  Enjoy the walk.

Also the safe was made electronic because of the ease of inputting a digital number instead of some dial turning interface.  And as stated numerous times before: Safes are supposed to be unbreakable so this whole safe design debate is pointless.