Safe Cracking

Dobrowney

here is my idea to cracking safes.

1. Setup laptops to spawn into the game and setup them at the vendors. hero vendors. 8 briefcases bandit trader 12 briefcases.

2. Set the weight of the laptop to around 10 lbs.

3. Setup the laptop to the toolbelt item.

4. When cracking a safe with a laptop . the item will be lost and give it a .5 % chance to spit out one of the four numbers in the code randomly .

I like the idea of this but think it should be more of a 50% chance it will break and also it gives you anything from 0 to all 4 of the combination code however the % chance to get another number gets smaller and smaller.

eg 0.01 % chance to get all 4 numbers

0.10 % chance to get 3 numbers

0.20 % chance to get 2 numbers

0.30 % chance to get 1 number

im split on this idea but i will say this...

For THAT price..id want it to be a bit more effective.

Also...

Dont make it so that the user is told the ORDER of the numbers.

So lets say i get 3 of the 4 numbers. They are 1,2,3

But i have no idea what the order of them is so i gotta do some playing.

Just thoughts.

Safes are expensive and should be securish, any means of defeating them shouldnt be cake or easy.

Where did you get this number from? Namely..a month.

Cause uh, got some folks that would argue with you. Cracking a safe is not something someone can do just randomly, it takes a lot of specific skills.

But if you know what you are doing...its fairly easy.

One of my close friends works as a professional locksmith. I know for a fact that he can crack a mechanical safe in about 10 minutes and an electronic one in about 5 minutes (this requires certain tech toys according to him).

So yeh, i disagree on your idea of time.

However..I will say that it isn't something so easy that a random guy can pick up a laptop and instantly be able to do.

And that goes to the ability for this to even work.

@Mathew:

Uh..no.

That seems like asking for easy griefing.

Griefing idiots wouldnt do it to 'crack' the safe, they would do it just to shit on others gameplay (Its sad that there are some folks out there that get enjoyment out of ruining other's time. They like to think they are epic trolls, they aren't, they are only griefers, lower than scum).

So yeh, I really hope they NEVER add that option to be honest mathew.

A laptop to hack a safe.. sounds feasible.. however not really. 

Satchel Charges wouldn't/shouldn't open a safe... 

I don't like the Breakable tools idea either sorry guys... 

Time based "Dusting for prints" would suite me more with one number given at a time so there is still a chance you wont get it.. 

Maybe base it on the current cargo amount to compensate for time, so if its empty/not much inside it it will take less time. 

Its a hard nut to crack..

To combat a new key generator or script that can crack a safe in under 5 minutes.

I'd like to see this, and NOT for abuse.  Since the digit input in ARMA must be manually entered I'm assuming this isn't a real autodialer but just a database hack that pulls the numbers right off the DB.  This means of course a 900 digit safe is as unsecure as a 2 digit.

The 5 minute thing seems suspicious simply because having the ARMA engine run any script over 8,000 times in that timeframe will lag like crazy.  That's 1600 loops a minute minimum - I don't think the server/ARMA engine could handle it, let alone be accurate.

Can you provide a source?

I'd like to see this, and NOT for abuse.  Since the digit input in ARMA must be manually entered I'm assuming this isn't a real autodialer but just a database hack that pulls the numbers right off the DB.  This means of course a 900 digit safe is as unsecure as a 2 digit.

The 5 minute thing seems suspicious simply because having the ARMA engine run any script over 8,000 times in that timeframe will lag like crazy.  That's 1600 loops a minute minimum - I don't think the server/ARMA engine could handle it, let alone be accurate.

Can you provide a source?

I don't have the source, but someone has proved it on a server that I played on.

I don't have the source, but someone has proved it on a server that I played on.

What server?

If 4 digits is done with an auto dialer script in 5 minutes, then 6 digits isn't much longer.  The safe code process would have to be changed back to GUID because if over 8000 combos are scripted, run and entered in 5 minutes we will need 20 digit codes to make the dialer run for more than an hour.

See the issue?  If it can run at that ridiculous speed and its really testing all combinations then we need a major change.

If there is a hacking script that people are employing to crack safes out there then Axemans Electrocution could be a nice idea.

Code_attempts = 0

Get it wrong it that goes up.

If Code_attempts = 10  - Knockout the player...i.e electrocute.

• 2 months later...

safe cracking defeats the purpose of having a safe in the first place. If bandits and robbers can just come in and crack your safe it becomes nothing more than a expensive piece of metal. Bandits already have plenty ways of making peoples lives miserable i vote no dont give these assholes more ways to rob you

What server?

If 4 digits is done with an auto dialer script in 5 minutes, then 6 digits isn't much longer.  The safe code process would have to be changed back to GUID because if over 8000 combos are scripted, run and entered in 5 minutes we will need 20 digit codes to make the dialer run for more than an hour.

See the issue?  If it can run at that ridiculous speed and its really testing all combinations then we need a major change.

How do you arrive at that number? Each digit you add increase the number of possible combinations by a factor of 10, so two extra digits would give 100 times as many combinations to test, or a total of 1 million. If 10.000 combinations take 5 minues, 1.000.000 should take 500 minutes, or just above 8 hours.

like in origins only the owner could open his house with his pincode...

maybe lets do it this way... and with something like the group management of wasteland maybe we can set ingame who is allowed to access...

No, I hated that. It meant you had to wait for that one specific player that built your garage or owns the house you stored a certain item in to be online before you can access it.

Either keep it as a code only, or if you want to increase security, a code combined with a key.

How do you arrive at that number? Each digit you add increase the number of possible combinations by a factor of 10, so two extra digits would give 100 times as many combinations to test, or a total of 1 million. If 10.000 combinations take 5 minues, 1.000.000 should take 500 minutes, or just above 8 hours.

No, I hated that. It meant you had to wait for that one specific player that built your garage or owns the house you stored a certain item in to be online before you can access it.

Either keep it as a code only, or if you want to increase security, a code combined with a key.

Good point on the 6 digit increase. 

I would still be interested in seeing this imaginary program work. 

Bottom line is if a safe-crack program is out there in use we would have heard about it from more than one person.