Suggestion: Player-controlled dogs

Raryin

I had a thread on the official DayZ Mod forums but I thought I'd try my luck here.

My idea is simple: the ability for players to play as a dog!

I think this would complement a survivor nicely as a pet / companion. So here are the features:

Suggested Features

-New weapon: Dart rifle (Can be loaded with tranquiliser darts, knockout)

-Player controlled dogs appear with collars around their neck

-Can be bandaged, fed and given water by human survivors

-New loot (bowl) to place on ground and fill with water

-Dogs can bark / howl to attract zombie attention or to distract other players

-Dogs can hunt / kill animals for food

-Dogs can eat animals to recover blood

-Dogs can lick wounds to recover blood (slowly)

-Dogs can enter cars? (limitations apply)

-Dogs less noticeable to zombies 

Optional features (unsure about)

-Dogs can drag unconscious survivors

-Dogs can bring meat from dead animals to allied survivors

A humanity system for dogs would be amusing  :P

For example, "Hero" dogs appear as golden retrievers or labradors whereas "Bandit" dogs could be rottweilers, german shepherds or wolves!

One thing I have yet to decide upon is a good way for a player to actually become a dog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Having playable dogs in Epoch would be really exciting and add some dynamic play options to the game (that's how I feel at least).

For example, you could use your dog friends to scout out towns in low profile or to distract zombies by barking while survivors can do their thing.

What do you guys think? Let me know!

there is dog taming already in Epoch, or atleast it was. It just need to be enabled by the server owner.

But it is not as featurefull as what you have above.

Maybe you have misunderstood, but I want to be able to SPAWN as a dog instead of a survivor..not just having a pet dog  :D

what would be cool is quick snapping to the dog during a gun fight and flanking round to get a good view on your enemy would be so cool but it doesnt fit into the type of game it is.

But the dog would be another player  :P you can't play as a dog and a survivor in the same lifetime

This is a good idea however would take quite a bit of work. We have tested playing as a dog, It works but does not have any actions with it so we would need to add everything. Also there is a odd camera issue that forces your view to ground level like the dog is sniffing the ground.

This is a good idea however would take quite a bit of work. We have tested playing as a dog, It works but does not have any actions with it so we would need to add everything. Also there is a odd camera issue that forces your view to ground level like the dog is sniffing the ground.

I thought that may be the case. Could actions be added similarly to that of a playable zombie?