Server Admins we are looking for your feedback for 1.0.4

vbawol

It seems having & in a player name messes up the killboard messages and the tags. 

Edit: im not sure if i should even report bugs in this topic

Also canbuild; also blocks logging out atm. Perhaps a way to make this more configurable as to what and what not should happen might be nice. That way people can modify their domes a lot easier (adding their safezones and such), I would personally like to use it the other way around, and exclude areas from building with canbuild, but not blocking logging out.

You can do that already :P search the forum

You mean by modifying the code? Yes. Sure you can. You can do almost anything by modifying the code. I meant as a part of the mod itself and by just changing a line in config to help with it so you don't have to modify the code over and over every time there's a new Epoch version.

The effort required to change the default loadout is minimal compared to many other mods, plugs, additions or what ever you want to call them. :)

Not sure if it's been discussed, but safezones. 
I'm not asking because I find it obnoxious to add, I just feel as if a lot of servers have this script on them; it would save some time and effort.

It's just a thought, but maybe it could be possible to add safezones as a setting in the init.sqf. I.E a On/off option.

What would be most useful for me from an update standpoint is a list of files that changed and what got changed/added in them. Then I could tell at a glance what I need to tweak and what will continue to work as usual without the need to start over with a fresh (newer) file.

And, as randomness suggested, a way to insert code without including a complete copy of the file being added to would be fantastic.

This alone would be wonderful for me.  This way I'd know for sure what files need to be changed and what ones can stay.

The effort required to change the default loadout is minimal compared to many other mods, plugs, additions or what ever you want to call them. :)

Not sure if it's been discussed, but safezones. 

I'm not asking because I find it obnoxious to add, I just feel as if a lot of servers have this script on them; it would save some time and effort.

It's just a thought, but maybe it could be possible to add safezones as a setting in the init.sqf. I.E a On/off option.

Minimal effort, as in they already made it configurable in the mission file.

It might be worth having a config file for many things such as and I'll detail the majority of my changes which are quite commonly changed between servers:

Changes that would make it simpler for me

• compiles.sqf location
  • Disabling / enabling chat channels
  • fn_selfacitons.sqf location
  • custom loading image location
  • base area maint size
  • plot pole restriction size
  • plot pole building area size
  • upgrade area size (this has to be changed seperate to the plot pole for us as we run bigger plot pole areas though I cant see a need for this having a different value to the plot pole size)
  • area of the config file that has "//insert below your custom script entries that would usually go HERE in the init.sqf" for example, some scripts have to get before the isDedicated portion.
  • and previously when we had many additions that are now in, or especially the BB1.2 mod it would have been handy to have a list of files that have been updated so that we didnt have to follow long installation steps from A-Z and we could skip a few letters on the way to speed the process up

Things that might be useful to config easier

• Building armour - the main reason WE run indestructible bases is that the buildings themselves are too weak, the equipment to destroy everything in a base is too easy to get
  • Player spawn locations - the ability to add or customize current ones, not sure if possible to add more due to the Vehicles = thing in the mission file
  • Trader restock count - a variable in the init.sqf (or new toejamsawesomeconfig.sqf ;)) to automatically add XX to the trader if trader count = below XX, I know this is easy to do via database functions but it would be easier to have as many things in the same place as possible
  • Object cleanup timer - once again moving it from the hiveext if possible

Features I'd like to see

• Punishment / warning system for talking in global/side, there used to be a script around that broke legs but I could never find it but some mods have an anti voice in side channel script working
  • Indestructible bases as a toggle on or off or a way to fully customize what is and isn't destructible
  • Players bases being indestructible while offline - but if they logon during a restart it remains destructible until a server restart. Could that be as simple as if playerUID logs in, check all buildables that player placed and then remove EH handledamage false?
  • Better security for plot poles, I did make a thread on it here: http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4915-plot-pole-idea/?view=findpost&p=30748
  • A way for players to store vehicles or ONE vehicle while offline in some kind of vault/garage
  • Base breaching, a special item that you can attach to a buildable and it only destroys that specific buildable, would have to be very rare though
  • The ability to see when an object/base was last maintained
  • For performance purposes, entire base structures as one object. There is a "villa" in the arma files that would work well and would require only a few boards to fortify it, people want big bases, thats a fact but that also has a huge strain on the server. So entire base structures that have upgrade levels to it would be good. They could put several together to make it look different and then we could limit the additional buildables to a suitable number so there could be extra rooms added.

It would be easier to consolidate as many values in one place as possible

The main reason for a separate file to accommodate all of these would then negate the need to edit files where there are things that do NOT need to be changed. So its streamlined and that if there is an error, it can all be traced back to one file (assuming the new files function correctly) and if a new mod gets enough 'votes' you could add support for these aswell but by default they are off, so all Epoch server files are shipped with everything default turned off.

So many times I've put a comma in the wrong place in a random file that I've never been able to find, more so at the start of hosting an Epoch server but people don't realise that tiny mistake can stop the server from booting. I have to agree with MGT though, while its slightly more complicated now.. it certainly stops the mickeymouse servers from surviving but thats not really a good thing as people who might suck at the server setting up might be very good admins and community hosts but there are certainly quite a few poorly configged servers out there.

I did ask for this ages ago but I think that Epoch should support some of the more popular mods, such as self bloodbagging, auto refuelling (pref axecops version that costs to use, i hate free stuff!) to take out some of the things that break server files for players and again if another mod gets enough votes it can then be supported to but turned off by default and a good edition to this would be some indication of performance hits each mod takes from "low" to "high" so people know what to turn off first, I'm sure many of us here could certainly help with catergorizing these. I'm sure you could easily promote a section of the site for upvoting ideas and if a few people know about it then they will urge others to use it.

Overall.. my thoughts on this is to consolidate ALL popular changeable values into one file, to stop people hunting for the file that they've broken.

Not really what my suggestion/question was concerning though.

I know, I am just confirming that they are asking for something that already is done.

• Object cleanup timer - once again moving it from the hiveext if possible

If they would change ownerID to playerUID, this would be a lot easier to do in the database

• Player spawn locations - the ability to add or customize current ones, not sure if possible to add more due to the Vehicles = thing in the mission file

Alraedy possible in the mission file if i am not mistaken

For me the most time consuming aspect of updating the servers between patches boil down to editing files such as calling custom compiles, selfactions etc. The second biggest time log is SQL updates, for example the SQL for 1.0.4 has something I need, copper changes, and something I don't need, price changes. The price changes are just silly and have been off whack for a few patches now. 

A better log is also needed in terms of updates, for example I recently found that the armoured hummer has been changed. I am frequently being shot and killed through the glass by small arms and there is no option to repair glass in it. I don't remember these changes being in the log. 

There also still does not seem to be a black market trader on Panthera, not a huge problem as I just moved everything around until I create a new trader, but it demonstrates that often the SQL file updates are lacking. 

For the most part the changes allowing us to customise certain aspects are most welcome. Also much of what ToejaM has mentioned a singular file to customise everything server side would be nice. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I have read everything and will try to accommodate what we can for the 1.0.4 patch. We are pushing hard to get this patch released soon so most of this might not make it until 1.0.5. Please keep this type of feedback coming!

Something that would be nice is if the trading system were more complicated. Like the traders showing the amount left in the stock, and the possibility of chosing the amount of X you wish to purchase - either by checking off 5, 10, 25 etc or typing in the amount you want.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I have read everything and will try to accommodate what we can for the 1.0.4 patch. 

No rush its running pretty good at the moment. Lots of cool stuff in the patch as well. Forgot to mention was the issue with the Merlin addressed when you changed it for Epoch? Basically I thought that it has so many windows that if they all become damaged it screws with the database causing them not be spawned into the game through the dynamic vehicle list.

How does glass damage work on the hummer model now? Is it tied to chassis damage as I got shot to ribbons by 5.56 and 7.62 yesterday. They literally shredded the hummer and killed both of us. 

Another issue with Panthera is boats are being spawned very far from the shore making the majority of them useless, I have to go an delete most of  them from time to time. 

bFe's idea is good as would be able to bulk sell as well. One solution, that would be huge time sink for you would be to create supply crates of things to bulk sell it. Notably weapons but that would mean having to have a supply crate for every single item. Unless a system could be put in place for selling that pulls up your character gear/backpack screen and you could click sell of that.

I have to make a note that the old merlin used to disappear for some reason (just the merlin), it would give hive errors after some restarts, I never figured out what caused it

When I looked with the database file the last set of brackets were left open, I presume because there was not enough room in the table. If you set damage to 0 as in [] the Merlin would spawn in. The thing has loads of windows in to repair. 

I disagree on that one, why they should add all the customcrap that gets released here on the forums?

There is no point adding 10+ features that only 4-5 out of 10 people use? Its unnecessary.

I mean, there is no learning process left if everything is "prepared" by the mod.

It would, but there are at least 5 different styles of refuel mods out there not to mention variations of those. Some work on fuel pumps, some on fuel tanks, some on anything remote fuel related. Some charge you, some make you shut off the engine, some make you get out, some let move some while fueling as long as you don't leave the area. So which should they add? Will they add one only to have someone go, "But now I have to find an actual fuel pump and land my chopper then get out. I want the one that lets me hover over anything and fuel up."

The thing is with many mods, that not a lot if anything needs to be changed when reinstalling them so if they were supported by Epoch, they would only have to be added to the default/vanilla files once and I very much doubt many things would need to be changed. Perhaps if they changed some of the variable names to something that can easily find like they do with their DZE_ prefixes it would make it easier for them to see if any are in use when they add new things but it really is a case of just re-adding the lines to certain files.

Would certainly save many admins a nightmare when reinstalling, I'd just like to point out here we don't use many custom mods anymore since many things we do use have been integrated. We don't use selfbloodbag even though above I said it would be a good idea to have it as part of the mod, its just a common mod that I personally think that mods should include by default, one less thing to go wrong client/user side.

As for mods that there are several variations of, they could include the one they like most or the one the community votes up most, at least then a version of it is being supported or develop their own, I know they like to find their own solution to many things!

Even if Epoch added a new feature that was similar to another, like self blood bagging.. the worst that would happen is that you would get two options for it and they would just work differently, many of the mods are very independent and do not rely on Epoch/DayZ its self, infact many of the mods can be run in any arma scenario with a few changes.

They are looking to make peoples lives easier here, I do not struggle to run my server or do updates but I think its ignorant to try and stifle the creators making their mod more accessible to players and hosts and its all coming across as very selfish. They want more people to play their mod and so they rightly should, they've made a great mod but remember what we feedback here will 100% transition over into the A3 version of the mod. One thing that is lacking from the DayZ server hosting side of things is easy consolidated configuration saving you from hunting through many files and moving things around, the other is including mods that are easy to maintain but very popular.

I know that this would increase the size of the client, but...

SMD_Sahrani_A2 is the best epoch-ready map, right now nobody plays it because you need to download it thru play.withsix but it would be AWESOME to have it included like Napf and Sauerland! 

The current release is almost bug-free and it's got some great features (good performance, lots of enterable buildings, working hangar doors, working windows, you can breach a wall with grenades and more...)