[RELEASE] Build Snapping - Extended v1.6 (Updated 02/20/2014)

OtterNas3

Thanks, OtterNas3! Great job.

But I recommend modifying the installation instructions to clarifying that you need to overwrite/slash out the exisiting player_build-parameter if using a custom compiles.sqf (2B in the instructions). If you just copy the lines in, it will not work.

Rolling changelog v1.4

Finished things:

• Objects will snap with the direction the object has before the snap - Adds ability to turn a Wall with a Garage as example to open to the other side
  • Objects of same type will snap on the top and the bottom - Adds the abilty to build a  straight Wall on more levels

Unfinished things:

• Floor to Wall snapping - This is very hard to do cause the many different combinations of objects size - Not sure if i find a way to get a acceptable compromise to position the Wall on the Floor (left, right bound or in the middle of the Floor/Wall)

I will try to make the unfinished part today, and if theres no way i like, i will release v1.4 without it, sorry...

Snapping the Wall in the middle would be okay? Looks ugly in my opinion ^^

Suggestions are welcome.

The most important part about snapping a wall to a floor i think is the alignment.

If there would be no way/too much trouble of making a wall snap to the floor corner then maybe this?:

Let the wall snap to the alignment of the floor + able to move left/right (only with the first wall)

Update v1.4

• Objects will snap with the direction the object has before the snap - Adds ability to turn a Wall with a Garage as example to open to the other side
  • Objects of same type will snap on the top and the bottom - Adds the abilty to build a  straight Wall on more levels

see first post for Download and install instructions.

Since I use a custom player_build.sqf, can you put a change log for that file (im sure others have their own player_build too)

Get notepad++ and install the "Compare" plugin with the built in plugin manager, then compare your file with mine and you see the differences

Hey guys, love the script Otternas and Maca.  However, I am having a bit of trouble with it, and I am hoping someone can help me.

I can begin to place an object, and get the toggle request on mousewheel.  I can toggle on or off snapping just fine. I can't however place anything, or move the object with any of the keyboard functions. 

I am very new to scripting and am just now trying to set up my first server, so I feel like there is something very obvious that I must be missing.  I checked for errors in my custom compile path, and even thought that I may have to put an:  if (isServer) or dedicated line in the custom compiles.sqf when I compared it to the default compiles.sqf.  However when I looked at your compiles in the zip I see you dont have it restricted to one or the other.  I am getting no obvious (to me) errors in RPT. 

I am a little lost as to what could be causing it.  It seems as though your script is working perfectly in many aspects.  I get toggle on and off messages, I have the larger timer countdown, the customized moved to far to continue building messages etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, 

koolaid

Edit:  This appears to have nothing to do with the snapping script.  Commenting out the entire thing does not change anything.   I get the ability to build back with the default pbo's.   I will report back after further investigation.

Edit 2: Turns out it was a toggle function on a debug monitor.  Disabling it clears the problem.  Thanks for an awesome script guys, can't wait for floors to walls!

Hello, i have one problem. the script it self works like a charm, but only admins can use it... i know that it the Infistart SS antihack, but i don't really know how to allow regular players to use it. whenever they try to scroll the "Snap Object" text

disappears.

And btw my hosting service it Survivalservers.com

Hello, i have one problem. the script it self works like a charm, but only admins can use it... i know that it the Infistart SS antihack, but i don't really know how to allow regular players to use it. whenever they try to scroll the "Snap Object" text

disappears.

And btw my hosting service it Survivalservers.com

Maybe this helps you

I have infiSTAR as well. The script is working as it should on my server! The only thing you have to do is add the s_building_snapping to the whitelist in the AHconfig.sqf file.

Just put it in front of the ALLOWED actions, and make sure to have a comma separating the s_building_snapping with whatever comes after it!

And thanks OtterNas, i'm looking forward to it! No rush, as this is already a great addition to the current building system

I dont know how hard it is to get these coordinates, but we're all really grateful for it. As for the wall to floor part, perhaps it is possible to use the center of the bottom part of the wall, connected to the center of the side of the floor, and then set the direction similar to the object its connecting to?

Also if possible, half and quarter wooden floors would be nice to add (once i worked down my to do list ill try figuring out how u got these coordinates :D)

Hey OtterNas3,

First of all, thank you for an excellent mod.

I see the way it is written, and I am very thankful for your time in modding this and such.

I have an Idea that would help you greatly snaping 1 object to another.

You need to create one more object.  Its just a place holder object and is not large at all, infact the orbs that used to be on our hands would work great, but any object without a width or length would be ok.

This object would be the snap anywall to anywall object.  Not sure if you can get it to work on the CORNER of a floor, but that would be great.

Basically you would need to make the object only read the center (world location) and direction.  You can then use the new object to "compare" to each snapable object.

lets say I want a concrete wall to end, I snap the orb to the end.  Now I want a wood wall to begin but run 90 degrees inside my base.  I snap the new wall to the orb (because its the only thing it recognizes)  It snaps to the orb which was previously places exactly at the end of the concrete wall.  I can snap this wall at any of the 90 degree increments from the original wall because it held the direction from the concrete.

Without trying to mod your code modded from Maca, I was wondering if you would like to try this.

I think it all it would require to snap an old item to the new object is a repeated if statement for each item that checks for the new item and makes it a valid end point.  They would all be the same statement.  then the new item would have a case statement for each current item, checking for the endpoint of any snapable object.

Separate matter, I would love to see the half wood floors be snapable as well, they make great plank runways or catwalks.

This mod is awesome !

However, I have noticed that when building walls using the snap in it's raising the walls to the point they end up with a big gap at the bottom of the wall.

Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening. Like allowing us to change the height a little once it's snapped in?

This mod is awesome !

However, I have noticed that when building walls using the snap in it's raising the walls to the point they end up with a big gap at the bottom of the wall.

Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening. Like allowing us to change the height a little once it's snapped in?

Which walls?