[RELEASE] Build Snapping - Extended v1.6 (Updated 02/20/2014)

OtterNas3

That version hasn't been released yet and not sure it will be. I think someone said the other day that Maca has moved on to Arma 3 scripting. I've only seen that when snapping half-cinder walls together. Once upgraded, everything looks flush. 

Well that sucks :/ I love the snapping feature for parts and so do my players on my server, it'd be too bad if the wall/floor snap is never implimented! since its the one feature that I'm looking for...

Hey all i have done everything suggested in the instruction and peoples posts but some unknown reason i still cant get this script to work.

We are using:

Chernarus

1.0.4.2a

Infinistar

I have added all the relervant lines into the places stated,

I have used the init.sqf instruction (didnt work)

then i tried the compiles.sqf instruction (still no joy)

Any help please

Thanks in advance

hey i have installed the 

Build Snapping - Extended v1.6 

files all properly and for some reason they dont work for some players but other have it working fine any ideas ? 

i cant get it to toggle i click the menu and it does nothing but my mates works fine happening to alot of other players to 

a suggestions on how to fix this would be amazing thanks 

any ideas anyone ? i re-installed all the files once more and still some people cant use the toggle snapping it shows up on the scroll menu but doesn't 

Hm, i'm no expert on this by any means, but my best guess is it might be a conflict with another mod you got installed? Or maaybe the code is palced in the wrong area or something of that nature, there's usually a reason it goes where it says it needs to afterall~

but yeah, I do know that antihacks seems to run a muck with several mods and make odd behaviors, but thats probly the same for alot of other addons as well.

yeah everything is working for most people but some its not like its not working for me but it is for a few of the other admins, iv even deleted all the files and everything and we added it all in and still not workings its getting annoying now lol does anyone know any reason why this would be happening ? could there be something with that particular character to make it not want to work 

Well, I gotta say, I'm squite baffled as to why I can't get this mod to work anymore!

I installed the infistar antihack and got it working, read every single page of comments on this mod's page, along with the ones on the original build snap page, and have done every fix I can find, and still no luck.

Problem I have is that when I go to build, the parts are showing up as the temp see-through ones, and no snapping option comes up. Prior to installing the antihack, everything worked fine. I've tried whitelisting the s_building_snapping, in the AHconfig, but it doesn't seem to help any, and my RPT doesn't have any errors at all in regards to either mod. I've went into the dayz_code pbo and made sure the original player_build was commented out and that the custom one is being loaded, still no dice.

anyone have ANY ideas as to what might cause this/how to fix it?

nope only same objects can snap together

Well, i think i found what was frustrating the author and making them not snap walls to floors. I took it upon myself to try and make it work and can halfway get it to, with a few glaring bugs.

It was hinted at a few pages back that snapping walls to floors made them snap in the middle of the floor, but I've found it only does this when you turn 90 degrees to the left or right from the original placement direction of the floor piece. I've gotten it to a point where you can snap the floor to walls no problem, works exactly as intended, but if you try the other way around as mentioned, it bugs out.

EDIT: After quite a bit of fiddling, I've managed to get snapping between metal floors and cinder block walls to work.

Well, i think i found what was frustrating the author and making them not snap walls to floors. I took it upon myself to try and make it work and can halfway get it to, with a few glaring bugs.

It was hinted at a few pages back that snapping walls to floors made them snap in the middle of the floor, but I've found it only does this when you turn 90 degrees to the left or right from the original placement direction of the floor piece. I've gotten it to a point where you can snap the floor to walls no problem, works exactly as intended, but if you try the other way around as mentioned, it bugs out.

EDIT: After quite a bit of fiddling, I've managed to get snapping between metal floors and cinder block walls to work.

Cool!  Would love to see a video of how it works!  Also, are you planning to release your code by any chance?

Cool!  Would love to see a video of how it works!  Also, are you planning to release your code by any chance?

I'm pretty bad at making videos XD but I'll see what I can do. till then, alittle explanation...

I've redid the snap points for the cinderblock pieces so they now snap at the same length as the floors. The biggest problem was that floors and walls are not nearly the same size, so the only real solution I could come up with was to overlap the ends of walls and such so that floors match up with them properly.

The slight problem this will introduce is that people with existing bases will definitely notice where the new snap areas are at in their bases and things wont line up with their old placed objects very well, due to the new snap positions.

If you're curious how it works, more than welcome to hop in our server and ask about it as well!

Anyways, to add in what I've modified, all you have to do is replace your points.hpp with the one linked. Recommend making a backup of your current one obviously so that in case something goes wrong, you can always revert back :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3daaii3q3jppwn/points.hpp

Thank you for this nice tool, I've just recently discovered!

One addition I'd like to see very much (didn't find any mention of it before, though) is an option to change the height of an object after snapping while keeping x,y and azimuth..

This would allow building a straight line of e.g. cinder walls on slopes by vertically adjusting each item (the wall top looking like a stair)instead of having one end buried deep or the other hovering in the air.

Seeing the hint about incorporation into 1.5: maybe it'd be easier to allow additional vertical displacement after the object is placed as part of the standard building process?

While I'm dreaming: the most flexibel method would be orienting the player's position and attitude consistently with the snapping result:

• roughly position player and place object
  • toggle snapping on to place object and adjust player accordingly
  • toggle snapping off now keeps the object in the same position as before
  • now the player can easily sidestep or raise/lower the object.

I'm pretty bad at making videos XD but I'll see what I can do. till then, alittle explanation...

I've redid the snap points for the cinderblock pieces so they now snap at the same length as the floors. The biggest problem was that floors and walls are not nearly the same size, so the only real solution I could come up with was to overlap the ends of walls and such so that floors match up with them properly.

The slight problem this will introduce is that people with existing bases will definitely notice where the new snap areas are at in their bases and things wont line up with their old placed objects very well, due to the new snap positions.

If you're curious how it works, more than welcome to hop in our server and ask about it as well!

Anyways, to add in what I've modified, all you have to do is replace your points.hpp with the one linked. Recommend making a backup of your current one obviously so that in case something goes wrong, you can always revert back :)

Thanks!  I will be trying this out on my test server tonight!

Thanks for this!  Glad to see some work is still going on on this excellent mod.

The update works great!  Now, how hard would it be to get wood walls snapping to wood floors? :)

I need to look at the code and figure out how it works, maybe I can do it.

Glad you're liking it! Its definitely possible to implement wood floor to wall snapping, but its a bit of a pain...

the problem is that, wood floors do not match anywhere near in size to either the small or large walls. Essentially how I made metal work was to overlap the walls alittle more than usual to they'd match in size and snap properly. small wood ones are too small and would leave gaps, though I spose' that large walls could be done with it, but the overlap would be even more than whats with the cinderblock walls.

Also, my players are once in a while reporting that the snapping for the metal wall to floor will "sometimes" snap into the middle of the object, but for the most part it doesn't seem to be a huge deal.

Hi all,

I tried to add snapping points for WoodFloorHalf_DZ (because these are the ones used for long walkways).

While this

class WoodFloorHalf_DZ {
  snap[] = {"WoodFloorHalf_DZ"};
  points[] = {
  {
    {0, -4.63, 0}, 0
  },
  {
    {0, 4.63, 0}, 0
  },
  {
    {2.485, 0, 0}, 0
  },
  {
    {-2.485, 0, 0}, 0
  },
  {
    {0, -4.63, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {0, 4.63, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {2.485, 0, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {-2.485, 0, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {2.485, -2.315, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {2.485, 2.315, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {-2.485, -2.315, 0}, 90
  },
  {
    {-2.485, 2.315, 0}, 90
  }
};

works well for HalfFloors in a line or column, I haven't been able to figure out the logic for the 90deg entries. Those shown will orient the item to build perpendicular to the one already present but the new corner is positioned at 1/2 width, 3/4 length of the old floor. (You can omit the first quartet of 90deg entries for the same effect.)

Anyone having more insight than I have?

Stacking wood ladders would be welcome, too.

Question:

The install instructions say's to enter this into the custom compiles file

if (!isDedicated) then {
    player_build        = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\player_build.sqf";
    player_buildControls    = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\player_buildControls.sqf";
    snap_object        = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\snap_object.sqf";
};

but the sample compiles file included in the download has this in it

player_build            = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\player_build.sqf";
player_buildControls    = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\player_buildControls.sqf";
snap_object                = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\snap_build\snap_object.sqf";

Which one is correct?

ok, needs some help, please.

I just installed  this mod.  Works great but with 1 problem.

I do not get the"Remove Plot Pole" option anymore.   Any idea what might be wrong?

Edit: Never Mind - it helps if you have a crowbar in your tool-belt, lol

Works well! I especially appreciate the clear and easy to follow instructions. Taking the time to give well written instructions saves alot of time answering questions because people have done something slightly incorrectly  ;)