Easier Currency System

i76

Personally I'd prefer if the types of currency were a bit narrowed rather than have a wide variety of them. I do understand that each type added is valuable but it would be easier to have them simplified such that they only have lets say two or max 3 types. You could get rid of the lower tiers by just selling more of the lower tier items @ purchase e.g. buy 3 or 5 of 'x' for 1 silver thus not diminishing the value of silver.

And the coin system is a good idea but I do prefer the idea of precious metals being the form of currency after an apocolypse. If they could co-exist as stated by Web11 and as dev'd by maca134 then it would make sense too as then players could use

I have never been a fan of bars, not because i dont like the idea.

Its the implementation, the user interaction is far to clunky, the inventory management is crap and i honestly dont think it works as well as it should within the confines of ARMA 2.

Smelting/selling gold bars to buy a Pepsi doesnt seem logical?

I understand that "Money Management" is an important factor in Epoch but sacrificing play-ability for it doesn't seems like a way forward.

And I still maintain that a single currency still contains "Money Management", it just takes some of the messing around away from traders.

My system is as follows:

1. Gold coins as currency
  2. Trader buy/sell in coins
  3. 900 coins can be smelted into a gold bars and placed into a safe.
  4. A limited amount can be stored @ banker in traders.
  5. If you die with coins, other players can take them as they would with bars.

There isn't really much difference between my system and vanilla Epoch.

I am looking at this from a Play-ability POV, i think the current currency system is far too clunky to ARMA...

I agree that the system is clunky and personally I dont like the idea of having to wait at the trader to smelt/resmelt to buy something. I should also add I do not like god mode/safe zones and put those two together you get a very vulnerable player at the trader city who might simply be trying to buy some food, drink or meds. Hence, my suggestion of limiting the number of types of currency but your system of coins does sound and work well.

I did play on one of your servers when I first played on epoch and loved the idea but the lag/desync I kept getting back then drove me off :P.

It would be great if you could push your changes to the Epoch devs but I doubt you'd be inclined to let your lil baby into the world :D

I did talk to Awol about it a while ago but he was quite insistent on the current system and im not prepared to release this as an addon, it is really quite involved in setting it up and sort it out when there are Epoch updates and I simply dont have the time to support it all.

I concur that the bar system within the confines of the Arma inventory system is not very good.  I've taken to removing copper, and trimming a lot of the cheaper items in anticipation of having a gold bar only system.  Essentially, if it doesn't seem like it could be worth 1 gold bar, it isn't going to be traded. 

In practice this seems to mean selling of weapons only, which makes sense given how easy food is to find.

I did talk to Awol about it a while ago but he was quite insistent on the current system and im not prepared to release this as an addon, it is really quite involved in setting it up and sort it out when there are Epoch updates and I simply dont have the time to support it all.

I understand that and I am sure it would be a nightmare for the number of people harrassing you with silly trouble shooting requests.

But maybe in the future you could do so. For the lets say.. more advanced folk.

Maca134 has always has his own agenda, If we wanted to use an ethereal money system we would have done so a long time ago. It would have been much easier to setup and manage. However, using the traders was never meant to be safe or easy. If it was people would just run straight to a trader city instead of actually playing the game. 

I like the fact trading metals is hard, if we make it too easy for players you're half playing the game for them right?

I wouldn't mind the difficulty of it but as stated, when as an admin you don't want the magical god mode in trade zones the players are ridiculously vulnerable. Plus having traders all congregated in specific spots makes the situation even more potent. A proper set up of PVP is fine. But one where a player is put in a vulnerable situation because of the system implemented is another. On the other hand the idea of trader cities is good but there should be more traders spread out to alleviate the get killed while you stare @ the menu or get killed while you are in the middle of a trade or even in the middle of a smelt.

I personally would like to see AI added to the game @ trader cities to patrol it. When a person opens fire that person is pretty much an outlaw in the AI's eyes and they must put him down or scare him off. This would be far more realistic, as traders in such times would have hired guns to do such tasks. But I enjoy realism and seem to be going off topic...

Maca134 has always has his own agenda, If we wanted to use an ethereal money system we would have done so a long time ago. It would have been much easier to setup and manage. However, using the traders was never meant to be safe or easy. If it was people would just run straight to a trader city instead of actually playing the game. 

I like the fact trading metals is hard, if we make it too easy for players you're half playing the game for them right?

My system isn't about making it easier for the player. There is still the prospect of losing your money, converting is still there just not at the traders, storing gold in safes requires effort.

I would argue making all items take up a single slot is similar to an ethereal backpack? Can you really fit a car wheel or engine into a backpack?

For me it's all about the user interaction and not making 'the game' easier and it always comes back to the fact that ARMA doesnt do it very well.

Even when I do not agree with a custom addon, I have never held anyone back from releasing it. Maca134, If you want to release your changes as an addon I have no problems with that. If you do not have the time to release it as an addon and support it then there is not much else to talk about as I will not be developing the "money" system any further for A2 Epoch as all my work is going to refine it in A3 Epoch.

For dayz epoch as of 1.0.4 we have already gotten rid of copper as a currency in an attempt to simplify the number of different combinations of currency.

The addition of the trade metals options to the trader menu GUI would be a welcomed addition and would help with user interactionhttps://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/issues/638

I love Epoch... I HATE trading. Don't get me wrong, I do it but every time I end up prepping for it. I suppose that is intended, but it makes things dang hard and sometimes nearly impossible on a player. 

I currently play on a server that is running the Taviana map and the trader cities are not very well protected. Often there are two or more ways into it and there are dynamically spawning Bandit AI as well as Zombies to deal with on top of players. I "quick visit to the traders" to sell off some guns I was never going to use has turned into a death sentence before, mostly because there are times when you have to do the inventory juggling right there at the trader or make 5-6 dangerous trips. 

The worst is when you desperately need something that is 1-3 silver and all you have is gold. You have to exchange it, then smelt it, then deal with all the "spare change" that eats up a heck of a lot more space than the gold bar. This is why we have not just pennies, dimes, nickles, but also quarters and 50 cent pieces and many other currency systems have very similar break downs of small change and larger change. You really have many, many levels of currency. It isn't just Briefcase, Gold, Silver, Copper, Tin. It is in fact, Briefcase, 10oz Gold, Gold, 10oz Silver, Silver, 10oz Copper, Copper... 

I am glad you are getting rid of Copper because when something costs Copper I just don't buy/sell it, it isn't worth it. Silver is barely worth it and I tend to only do things like sell items that sell for silver to buy a spare clip that also costs silver and only if I won't have change.  So for me the currency system in Epoch is, Briefcase, 10oz Gold, Gold, 10oz Silver. If you did away with the 10oz things it could go, "Briefcase, Gold, Silver, and Copper" and have as many steps as most people currently utilize. 

Probably the BIGGEST issue with your chosen system is that it is an exponential system. A clothing skin buys for 2 and sells for 1 gold. This means I would have to sell 30 stanag clips at 2 silver to buy one(60 silver). Selling one would give me 30 silver which would buy me 7.5 stanag clips. Do you see how this "trade" situation doesn't line up properly? Part of this is because when buying and selling you can ONLY use one type of currency. Instead of having things that buy for 40 coins and another that buys for 35, it needs to be something like 1 gold and 2 gold(or at least this is how you have priced things. I suppose someone could go in and make some things 5 10oz Silver but they still can't do 45 silver. So your economy has HUGE price jumps for items. 

You want to see this in action? Look at Fuel Barrels. Empty ones are 1 10oz silver but full ones are 2 gold. This means I can sell a full one and buy 3 empty ones. If there is a fuel barrel near a trader city and I have a means to ferry them I can literally triple my money in a very short amount of time. 

A more coin based system would free you and server owners up to price things like 45 for full and 30 for empty or even 33, 97, 28, or other crazy numbers and give you a lot more room to tweak prices and make them fit better. You can still steal coins off of people as long as you tie it to a physical object. 

The biggest problem with trading is your character is churning butter for 5 seconds every damned trade interaction. That's probably one of the main reasons why the vast majority of servers have god-mode at traders. Not exactly hard to snipe a stationary guy trapped in a stupid animation with no way to defend himself.

• 1 month later...

CCG's single currency gold coins cannot be stolen upon killing a player.... Am I right?

The killed player just loses them.... So if you kill a player which just sold an MV22 and is making his way to the trader city you wont profit from that...

Point in this is: I like finding money on dead players, makes it fun to bandit around. I think a lot of people (or bandits if you will) agree with me on this one. 

For me, thats a downside to the single currency script.

Nevertheless.... I would love to see it as an add-on as it's a beautiful script

CCG's single currency gold coins cannot be stolen upon killing a player.... Am I right?

The killed player just loses them.... So if you kill a player which just sold an MV22 and is making his way to the trader city you wont profit from that...

Point in this is: I like finding money on dead players, makes it fun to bandit around. I think a lot of people (or bandits if you will) agree with me on this one.

For me, thats a downside to the single currency script.

Nevertheless.... I would love to see it as an add-on as it's a beautiful script

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just want to point out that : 

A shitty user interface is a pretty crappy and obnoxious way to increase difficulty of a game.

Its unimaginative, boring and annoying.

In the end, it adds nothing to the actual difficulty of the game play.

It just becomes another reason to stop playing.

The old system is just that, Old and outdated and too much f-ing around. Macas version much better and is probably part of the reason CCG have 20+ servers which are full most of the time.

I think you'd be absolutely nuts to put the old monetary system into Arma 3 Epoch.