Feedback / Vote: Base Building 1.2 as Part of Epoch?

Vote: Base Building 1.2 / Improvements 0.3 Standard in Epoch?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Base Building 1.2 / Improvements 0.3 - Should Epoch Run This as Standard?

• Yes - I love it, and think it should be the standard base building system for Epoch, so it runs smooth with epoch updates etc.
    • No way! If people want Base Building 1.2, they can add it themselves!
    • Hmmm I'm on the fence / not sure to be honest!

LOTS of DayZ Epoch server admins seem to like base building 1.2 / improvements 0.3... 

Myself, I am holding OFF installing any of the recent Epoch updates because it doesn't currently work with BB 1.2...

This seems a shame, as Epoch is AMAZING!!! I love it! But I much prefer the base building 1.2 / imp. 0.3 system for base building, and I am keen to update Epoch, but don't want to due to the incompatibility between BB 1.2 and the most recent Epoch updates :(

I think it would be just AMAZING for Epoch to run base building 1.2 / Imp. 0.3 as standard, so it works in all updated versions of Epoch by default :D Honestly, that would make an already awesome mod, just, well... the epitome of awesomeness!

What do you guys think? Would you like to see BB 1.2 / Imp. 0.3 as standard in future Epoch launches??? Vote now :D

Unless the author of that wants to contribute code to epoch this is not going to happen. If you do not like our base building provide feedback so we can improve it.

Hi vbawol :)

Okay - I'll start a vote for him on opendayz to show him how much we want him to contribute everything he can to you guys :D

I hope you are not offended by me posting this poll, it's just that I know lots of server admins love the bb 1.2 system.

I would provide feedback, but I don't feel it's welcome, as when another member gave feedback about plot poles, and wishing we didn't lose them when you die, they seemed to be dismissed, saying that it would remove the penalties from dying... Something I do understand, but disagree with...

So I felt there was no point giving feedback if it was just repeating what others had said - especially if it had already been dismissed when you said:

Having everything tied to PlayerUID is not the answer here and removes most of the penalty's from death

From my personal point of view, these are two things I would LOVE for Epoch's own base building:

* Persistent base building, with objects tied to PlayerUID (already suggested, and something I don't think you liked the idea, of partly due to database bloating)

* Keypad entry for base gates (maybe this is already possible, not sure)

As you see, my feedback is something that you have already said 'is not the answer here' - So this is the reason why I, and many other admins, have switched to the base building mod - It has something we really want, and that unfortunately we have been told is considered as not the answer for the epoch base building :(

I REALLY love Epoch - SERIOUSLY I do, and I think you guys have done a truly AMAZING job here! It's just that most admins want persistent bases, most players want persistent bases, and before I switched to BB 1.2 it looked like I was going to LOSE PLAYERS to servers that had this mod - after installing it, I have retained those players, and also grown a few more regulars who seem to say that the BB 1.2 mod actually was one of the main reasons they stuck around!

So you see my dilemma? I honestly LOVE Epoch and in many ways would prefer to support the in-built stuff, but I, and my players, want the persistent base building etc that is in BB 1.2. If Epoch is saying it won't allow / use this as it "removes most of the penalty's from death", then I have no choice but to look towards a type of modded base building script some how, which is why I did that, rather than give feedback.

Im not fussed either way as never used it before but voted yes as it does seem a good thing.

Has anyone approached the creater to ask if he would mind it being part of epoch?

I think they have, yep - Not sure his reply though :S

I mean, he does seem to be building it primarily for Epoch, so don't see why he would mind contributing towards the project!

Base building dose work with 1.0.1.4 (with improvements 0.3) I will knock up a clean mission and server pbo later with it on.

Hey :D

Well, if I could hit 'Like' 50 times and give you unlimited beans, I would :D hahaha

I'd love to get hold of a clean 1.0.1.4 pbo with bb 1.2 /imp. 0.3 !!! :D

I'll keep a keen eye out for the thread, but do feel free to PM me too when it's live :D

My Vote. No, Lets add it ourselves.. why.

Its clear that a lot of people want to build bases which is great, and its clear that people seem to enjoy this script. 

However its also clear that Epoch is yet to scratch the surface with what it can do in regards to short and long term building and crafting.

This addon was once in my pack as a option but was removed due to it not functioning correctly and myself not able to support it directly.

If we can get a working version and can share it. I will split the pack into two:

1 With Base Building

1 Without

So regardless of what we want as a whole I would prefer that Epoch Sticks to its course and us as a community give the Dev Team some time. (Why I setup the pack to begin with)

Cheers,

Mr B

While I agree with Bungle regarding giving the Dev team time to refine and develop a build system for Epoch, its also obvious to me that servers with a different build system have more players.  There are just too many other servers to choose from.

The largest contributing factor is that Epoch building uses about triple the resources and player time that other systems do and realistically how will anyone convince the majority of the player base to do more work for less reward? 

I know Epoch has a lot of things to work on but if it were me I'd prioritize the build system structure and drop some of the other ideas like helicopter extractions for now. 

Hi Bungle,

Thanks for your input. To be honest, I'd myself - in some ways, prefer to use epoch's base building - But only if it had bases that were tied to PlayerUID - however even though most admins and players seem to want this, as the admin at dayzepoch doesn't like the idea, it seems our wishes will be ignored.

A shame as I strongly suspect that IF Epoch's base building had

a) Building tied to PlayerUID that lasted through player deaths, and

b) Keypads for gates opening (might have this, I may be mistaken!)

Then I really do think more players/server admins would get behind Epoch's own base building.

But if the Epoch admin isn't willing to go down the route of what server admins want, what choice are they really left with?

One question - if the Epoch team don't like the idea of bases staying after death, BUT most server admins want it, when can't we reach a compromise, and have it as a config option/variable??? That way both are happy!

I mean, I think owners of stuff are stored as CharacterID in the database anyway, so couldn't there be a config option to make it last through death, and only be removable by the builder? - I know the argument about people griefing the game by building on roads, or old  players leaving their bases when they stop playing - but as the server admin, I'd be fine with sorting that kinda stuff out! 

Just a though, as it seems the Epoch guys really want folks to give feedback on their base building system, and to help it grow - yet one of the biggest reasons people don't want to use it seems to be being ignored :D

My Vote. No, Lets add it ourselves.. why.

Its clear that a lot of people want to build bases which is great, and its clear that people seem to enjoy this script. 

However its also clear that Epoch is yet to scratch the surface with what it can do in regards to short and long term building and crafting.

This addon was once in my pack as a option but was removed due to it not functioning correctly and myself not able to support it directly.

If we can get a working version and can share it. I will split the pack into two:

1 With Base Building

1 Without

So regardless of what we want as a whole I would prefer that Epoch Sticks to its course and us as a community give the Dev Team some time. (Why I setup the pack to begin with)

Cheers,

Mr B

My last thoughts on the subject (sorry for being so vocal!).

It would be interesting to see another poll...

Out of those using Base Building 1.2, how many would switch back to Epoch's system, if it had options for:

• Bases that last after death
  • Restricting base removal to those that built the base
  • Keypad entry gates

You might find that with these options - even just as on/off config variables, you'd grab back lots more people and bring the Epoch base building system a lot more life :D

Hey Bungle - re your answer below, and your post here: http://dayzepoch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/582-release-base-building-12-by-daimyo21-with-improvements-03-by-kikyou2-more-building-materials/?p=3866

That would be amazing :)

1 With Base Building

1 Without

Cheers,

Mr B

You can submit things to be added to the Epoch base building system i think that if people want to have this they can add it to the server themselves its going to give the Epoch base building more potential if the dev team progress it instead of using a base building mod wheres the fun in that?

Bases do last after death.  Plot poles didn't but now they do, just put it away after you build.

Thank you, it seems there is still alot of miss info about how our base building systems work. Base items last as long as the server owner will allow it (default 6 days) regardless if your still alive. If you want to leave the pole to prevent others from building and to increase deconstruction times for others hide your plot pole inside your safe or a tree. This way you can move the safe or chop down the tree to take the pole and reset if you should die.

To address issues with it being to easy to take others base items, In the next patch 1.0.1.5 I have added a chance to break tools when removing items. Also to remove anything you will now need a toolbox and a crowbar.

We will be adding ways to lock doors and more.

Eh Vbawol I get what you are doing with the base building .. The problem is someone can walk up to your base and remove your work. This Should not happen. Server owners should have an option if they want them perm or not. All I want is for you to give the server owners the options . Allow then to pick how they want their servers. And also setup an in game GUI for the base building .. Going to the website to look at what I need to base a wall is dumb. The option is there to add this GUI now .. No need to do the coding.. All you need to do is ask. them if it is ok to use there interface. I am sure they will be ok with it as long as you give them credit, seeing how they publicy released it on opendayz.net for all server owners to use.  Adding these mod and reworking it for your liking will save you a ton of time and speed up development on base building system you have now ..

@Dobrowney Permanent bases will not work in the long run nor should they be untouchable. You do not need to use the wiki to find out how to craft you just simply right click on an item and explore similar to the way minecraft does it however we tell you what you can craft off of each item then tell you what you are missing. Why add a mod that we feel does not fit our idea of how base building should be? Server admins can already pick what they want as we have no problems with others changing this on there own.

Hi vbawol - Just wanted to explain that the statement I quoted below is the reason I didn't give feedback before - It seems that you guys have a set way that you want base building to go, regardless of what most people using epoch want - No probs with that really, I mean it's your mod, and you've done an amazing job :D I'm only saying something here because I felt that we were being asked to give feedback on the base building system rather than look to new mods for it, but then that feedback was being put to one side, making it less likely for people to give feedback again, if you see what I mean?

Anyway - great mod you have, it really is the BEST DayZ variant out there, and I enjoy it more than DayZ itself, by a long way :)

t however we tell you what you can craft off of each item then tell you what you are missing. Why add a mod that we feel does not fit our idea of how base building should be? Server admins can already pick what they want as we have no problems with others changing this on there own.

@Dobrowney Permanent bases will not work in the long run nor should they be untouchable. You do not need to use the wiki to find out how to craft you just simply right click on an item and explore similar to the way minecraft does it however we tell you what you can craft off of each item then tell you what you are missing. Why add a mod that we feel does not fit our idea of how base building should be? Server admins can already pick what they want as we have no problems with others changing this on there own.

You could make them decay over time, think of it as maintenance. Another solution would be to have the model trigger to a worn down one after X amount of days passed, so that you get an option to repair it, which consumes the materials. This acts as a nice end game feature, and a gold sink to get those players with 10k gold in their safe to spend it on parts to repair their mega complex bases, while also allowing the lone wolf to maintain his small hermit shack in the woods.

Also the code features that make buidables removable, not permanent. The way it works is the more complex the item to build, the harder it is to remove. There is factors, failure rate %, and chance to break tools. Example is simple fence has 30% failure rate, and 15% chance to break tool box. A complex Hesco wall has a 90% failure rate, and a 50% chance to break tool box on each attempt. This prevents bases from being "untouchable". Only the largest most complex buildings like a fort, could be made invulnerable to deconstruction but still degrade and need repair. You could also limit the number of certain items a player could build, tie certain buildings to his PlayerUID, like the war fort, so even after death he cannot make another. Things like walls and shacks you can keep to CharacterID so that he loses ownership and the ability to remove for a refund to give death the harsher consequences you guys like. This code is disabled for now, but can be re-enabled.

The reason players love the base building scripts, is that the current epoch creatable objects, are so easily removed. A player can run over your base in a military vehicle or armored SUV and destroy 75% of your base in a few minutes. Or they can sit and remove each part while you are offline with 100% success each time, very quickly. Lastly, there is no way to lock people out of your gated base, they can just open the gate and walk right in. If you were able to make locked doors on houses/sheds/gates like dayz origins, and made a failure rate on deconstruction where tools might break, that would be perfect, as I love the epoch style crafting system.

IMO nothing in dayz should be 100% safe or sacred. Not even a safe (should be able to crack it, and the longer you live the better you get at it, but you need a kit, that can break on each attempt with a low chance of success).

Unless the author of that wants to contribute code to epoch this is not going to happen. If you do not like our base building provide feedback so we can improve it.

There is nothing even remotely secure or stealthy in anyway with the Epoch builds.   You can make a shed that holds 400 items that will show brightly for anyone to steal from..  Dont get me wrong your base building is a great step, but my players never do anything beyond work shack and a tent or net... Lights look great, but with no way to secure even the gear in a locked vehicle, or the vehicle itself, Adding a light is just advertising where ur camp is located.. Base 1.2 has walls that cant be driven thru plus a secure locked gate, forcing the players to study on getting to the loot.

I for one have been trying to get it working on Epoch, as epoch by far is my fave mod, but I am having no luck. I know it can be done as I have played on server with both builds included. My players are almost to the point where they nearly prefer secure_ish bases over Epoch.. This is a shame.

I know there's an addition of breaking tools with a 10% chance of breaking the tools.

This has to be increased. 

I can take some gold bars and buy hundreds of toolboxes.  One Ural and a few hours means everyone can kiss their bases goodbye.

I believe they meant 10% chance to fail per stage, I would assume the more complex the object the more stages there would be. Example is removing stage 1 on corrugated fence 10% chance to fail, removing stage 2 on corrugated fence 10% chance to fail, repeat for stage 3, 4, 5. I hope this is how it works.

Still needs to be higher though, there should  be a chance to fail, and a chance to break tool box, for every stage.

My suggestion, start it off at a higher rate, and use dayz skill level variable to improve your chances (the variable that measures the longer you are alive the better chance you have to tame a dog, this variable could be applied to so much more, like more humanity for blood bagging/medic actions, better success rates on removing car parts, etc).