Epoch and DayZ 1.7.7.x

fr1nk

First, thanks to the Epoch team for this mod, it's addictive fun and I can't bring myself to play DayZ without it now :)

Regarding the latest 1.7.7.x patch - a lot of puzzling and unnecessary changes were made by BI that broke/are breaking lots of player-made scripts. I assume that various parts of Epoch are affected as well. Epoch has been making some great strides forward lately and it would be a shame to see things stalled by the latest release. My question is: at what point will you plan on updating to 1.7.7.x? 

To be fair I don't think its needed. Whilst hats of the guys and gals that are keeping the Dayz Mod itself running Epoch is running down another path. A path I like and what The Mod and stand alone is aiming at I think.

Down the track there is still soo much potential still for the mod in the Arma II OA engine and the Dayz mod team know this but seem to be constricted by a pre-determined design.

Epoch is running down a path that was inspired by a small group perhaps but is now fueled by a massive and growing community that only wish to see it succeed.

And it will, Awol and the co developers are breaking grounds on new features and I can only imaging what this mod will be like at 1.1 alone... even with the introduction of more talent to the team and growing.

With the added bonus of adding in as many nice options to customize your experience as they can listening to your feedback once again my hat is off for the team and their time, effort and dedication.

That was my thought too Bungle. I've tried 1.7.7 and there wasn't anything there that wow'd me. All I've seen is lots of admins struggling with broken scripts and getting frustrated. I'm perfectly happy if the Epoch guys did their own thing :)

That was my thought too Bungle. I've tried 1.7.7 and there wasn't anything there that wow'd me. All I've seen is lots of admins struggling with broken scripts and getting frustrated. I'm perfectly happy if the Epoch guys did their own thing :)

There are a few things added recently to Dayz proper that I would love to see in Epoch.

Namely...

1)The ability to combine magazines (I can combine a STANAG with 15 rnds left and one with 10 rnds left and get a single 25rnd mag). Thats just a realism factor that is really needed.

2)Quivers..for arrows..for the love of god please. 

Andd thats about all i care to see come over from Dayz proper that was introduced to it recently. But yeh, there are some fun things..not much heh.

I admin on a Dayz Server that is currently ranked 18th overall, Survival Grounds, i handle the loot code there and honestly...sorta been neglecting my duties since i found Epoch cause the game is just so damn fun compared to standard Dayz. You guys do good work.

Just want to make our position public on 1.7.7.x dayzmod supposed "community edition".

First we want to thank rocket and the community for allowing us to take, use and distribute code from the previous versions of dayzmod without oppressive copyrights.  We have always been careful to use things that were open to all and credit those from whom we have taken work.

Secondly In future versions of Epoch we will not be including 1.7.7.x code in full. The reason for this is in the new version there are new permissions and copyrights that go against the open nature of dayzmod and dayzepoch (in our opinion).  Not that we do not have permission to use this code, we do, however some of the permissions are not transferable and require renewal from multiple authors and so makes a situation in which Epoch would have to close all 3rd party development and no longer make files available (private github). 

Thirdly as Bungle has so astutely noted, we are going in a different direction anyway and dont need alot of the things that have been added not to mention alot of dupe, bug, and general fixes that are already in Epoch have not even been fixed in the newest version of dayzmod.  They have access to our code and can take it if they please on request, as always some would prefer to take it and re-write it and call it their own but we know where it came from.

So dont be surprised to see some of Epoch in dayzmod. Basically dayzmod has walled themselves off in a garden of copyrights so that noone will steal their work, while we appreciate the work thats been put in we feel like this attitude doesn't help the dayz community in general and really just kills any mod that wants to stay open.  Openness is a basic tenent of Epoch and though people have taken our work without permission we feel like if it wasnt any good they wouldnt bother, and in the end it makes for a better game experience for everyone.

Honestly,as I have said elsewhere, there are really only two parts of 1.7.7.x that I care to see in Epoch. That being the ability to combine partial magazines and the ability to turn arrows into quiver to make the crossbow a viable weapon.

Thats really it for me, the rest of the stuff..meh. I have found Epoch has better systems for handling many things (Vehicle spawning, helicrashes, etc etc) than base dayzmod.

So yeh, just those two things are all i care about seeing brought in from 1.7.7.x (feature wise).

Also...bungle..you were very astute in what you said (Now its the 2nd time youve seen it, you should be concerned)