The Balota Situation

ToejaM

Story:

Was looting Balota, server crashes/reboots, we swap server and I'm at the balota tents, I hear a few shots and friend on teamspeak says he's been killed but he's happy he fired his weapon hah.

So I move over to try and secure his gear and hopefully kill whoever killed him, he stays dead so his body doesn't disappear.. I run into the jailhouse where he died and see two people in the cell and open up on them.. kill them both, don't get a chance to pull any equipment off them before they quit. Didn't record this bit but they both had their backs to me, fully armed.. sore day for them but I was taking no chances!

I wait downstairs feeling vulnerable from server hoppers.. horrible feeling this public server swapping stuff, I hear a few more shots and decide I want this guy to.. or at least his ammo so I close the jaildoor and wait for about 10-15minutes, by this time I've retreated upstairs and closed the door up there incase of server hoppers to give myself the best point of defense, if someone hops servers in that room I'll know they're there soon as the door opens..

An unarmed guy wanders up the stairs and I instantly shoot him.. my train of thought was.. theres a guy with an M4 nearby and he's the first person I'll see.. I didn't feel bad but knew there was still another down there at least so I take a cheeky peak and did not expect someone to be looking at me immediately, I keep tabs on him and keeps looking up and looking away, I feel like its a trick so I wait it out but all the time I'm very tempted to try get a shot on him when he turns. Now watching the footage back, I wonder if he's 3Ding up to me?

His friend appears and sits in the same place, looked like the gunman went out the door so I cautiously move around to check the other side and see him there, he fires at me but misses, I do a quick return fire and I hit him a few times, looks like he went down.. his friend is quick on the body, can see he's now shouldered the M4 so I pop him a few times aswell. When they're both dead, leg it down there checking everywhere.. considered closing the doors but figured these guys would be quitting asap and I really need more ammo!

Phew, luckily pull off a coupled mag which is mostly full.

So by this point, I've killed 5 people.. and I'm still waiting for my teamspeak compadre to arrive but I thought after killing 5 people, the chances of another armed person turning up are pretty low unless its a server hopper so I reload all my mags so I have as much ammo in each mag as possible and I wait quite a while and hear more shots! Argh I don't want to be here anymore, just bad luck about the previous server going down.

Then the door next to me opens, I don't hesitate and open up on him.. godmode. GG. Can't see any blood or wall impacts, I'm 100% sure it was god mode there, too close for the leaning to skew it and you'd think from over 30 rounds one would make a dent, he then laughs and shoots me but by this point I'm already on my way out. I don't normally leave in the middle of a fight but I'm sure I didn't miss and his laugh made me even more suspicious. If I did miss, apologies to this person but you can't see any impacts at all and its not like I'd been missing much already!

We didn't see anyone after this at all apart from one person in the distance for about 2+ hours. The next server crashes and now I'm wiped and on the coast!

So what did we learn from the video? Not that we don't know this already but one issue created quite a knock on effect.

1) Third person is BS but if its legit and others use it, you need to use it to! Its too much of a crutch though and you won't see many 1st person servers which is a shame.

2) God mode is still well and truly possible

3) Bodies disappearing too quickly still so you can't loot them

4) Servers crashing/rebooting unannounced causes several issues including getting you killed and wiping your character

5) Server hoppers are as bad as cheaters themselves.

I know the games an alpha and I'm testing it to, hopefully the fact that I recorded all these (except 4, just take my word about it :P) will be helpful.. If the devs see it of course :)

Sigh.

It was pointed out to me that you can see all my impacts right before I exit the game, watching it happen live made me think it was him shooting me.. but it appears in DayZ your bullets don't register until the server sees it to? Which is a bit strange!

• 4 weeks later...

Shitty netcode is shitty. Shouldn't have used Arma for the standalone. He even stated that the Arma engine is piss poor at things that are necessary for Dayz.

pffft, Arma is shitty for things that require Arma...   and it pisses me off to no end to see the huge possibilities of the game (including arma 3) and know that none of it will ever happen because of the gigantic list of limitations...   

Altis -  open map, larger then we have ever seen before....  100~ AI units is too many....   WTF is the point of arma if you can't use the entire map without having to do some back door workaround to spawn and despawn units when you are / are not in the area...

• 4 months later...

TeojaM some sweet shooting by you fella. I agree with you seems like the guy had god mode on. Yes could possibly have been net code but everyone else you took out showed hit markers immediate with no lag. Seems strange that this guy may have lagged. Good stuff fella keep it up :)

I don't think the guy has god mode on, I just think there was a serious lag issue at the time, if you pause the video just as you are quitting, you see blood splatter, and also it looks as though his body is falling forward a bit, maybe he was dead but it just took a moment to register, which is still an issue by the way.

I don't blame you for quitting under them circumstances, ridiculous you fired off a whole clip and you see no evidence of hits for that amount of time.