Base Building Additions/Suggestions

vbawol

i thought it might with the need to make it lockable. Hope something like this gets in the game soon though :)

on a side note, will epoch be going down the line the origins has with needing cement etc to build houses?

I just wanted to add that piling on the empty supply crate to everything, even things made completely out of wood, just adds a resource sink for players, and also it's making it so scrap metal is currently worth more than gold itself.

I would rather see implementation of specific tools like;

Nails

Hammer

Screwdriver

Drill (even a hand-cranked one)

Saw

Shovel

Instead of just adding scrap metal to everything. Honestly the best use for scrap metal is to repair cars. I just don't see why we've got to keep altering build patterns that honestly, seemed fine to me a patch ago. There are many other things that could be worked on that would improve the playability of the game itself instead of increasing the 'work' time for players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys dont know if this was post as a seggestion yet but I play on a pvp server with a few rules about bases(not important) and i see people fly over head or stoping over the base and looking at it and i always though why cant there turrets that you can place that are like AA guns. Well i found a mod for arma 2 that i think might be a capatible way of doing just that its called [R3F] Artillery and Logistic heres the info:  http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=9285 just make the anti aircraft guns the only avalible Defence trailor that once towed and placed at the propore spot(which can be you grabing it like a pallet of oil brums and walking slowly to fine tune the guns position) can be locked with a key that fixes it like a base item when locked and not towable when locked and can be reloaded with m240 or m249 ammo. It would add a new helpful feature to our bases and should cost a pretty penny lol from either the bandit or hero trader only.

I hope this can be worked out as i do like this mod and the base stuff just with out defence turrets like that on a pvp serevr if three people in a uh1h or other heli with a couple of guns flew around looking for base. They can just fly by your base and gun you down fairly easy with the advantage of being in the air and having a mounted gun as your on the ground trying to get either good shots on then with a non mounted wep or bring the heli down and engage them on the ground lol. Also using cars as turrets can be a pain cus cars can slide and do things we didnt expect to do cus they arnt a static like object unlike the turrets or base items. thanks for your time and I hope this is a viable option and a productive suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Coding in stationary guns already in the Arma games files can combat that. I tested the larger calibre weapons and they are not feasible due to balance. (RMOD?)

With regards to suggestions, the easiest way would be to take a look at Daimyo's mod and improve on it. It works quite well, allows for varied structures and would give you a general idea of what people like. 

Example: 

Class:  CampEast_EP1
Craft Near: plotpole
Required Tools:
ItemToolbox
ItemCrowbar

Recipe:

ItemPole x 4
Canvas x 8
wire x 4

In my opinion, any time spent on base building may be seen as wasted since the above mentioned addon works pretty well in terms of variety of items, crafting and positioning. It also comes with lockable gates that work very well thanks to addons to the addon.

The standard mats for Daimyos basebuilding are a little light whereas Epoch's own system is very heavy. Plus Chernarus is not actually that good a map for this sort of thing. Taviana is much better for industrial items. The other issue is removal of items. It takes a significant amount of time to gather materials in the Epoch system only for items to be removed and stolen the next day you login. 

The current time taken to remove, and cost comes nowhere near the investment in gathering materials and crafting. Origins variant is very good in this respect, although the objects you build in Origins are very poor and have a tendency to kill you as you use them. 

Remove supply crates from modular system and replace with a new item. Box of nails, use supply crate model as a placeholder. Could be loot drop only and could then be integrated into all your recipes where the current empty supply crate makes no sense. You could even add a new tool belt item, a hammer, again a residential or industrial drop, sort as the opposite role to the crowbar. 

Basically, the trader system removed the need for a lot of looting and searching it would be great to bring some of that back without making it too grindy. 

Also new buildable. 

Razor wire section

Item costs:

Wire

Razors 

tank trap or pole

Removable by tool:

Snips/knife (lesser chance with hunting knife)

Simple buildable that can use standard Arma 2 model, Fort_RazorWire. Makes use of the thousand and one razor spawns and offers the future chance of adding a new tool belt item wire cutters/snips but can be removed with a very low chance of success with a hunting knife. 

I like base building, and i guess at the moment i'd prefer daymio just because its a lot sturdier to make walls with, and it doesnt require making a desert out of cherno. However there there are 3 objects from BB1.2 that should be be implemented into any base building mod and thats the fire place (or a barrel), a fuel tank, and a water pump. 

I would love to see items that can be connected to others that have triggers associated to them. A pressure plate connected to a door/lock would be awesome. When a player steps on the plate, it would close and lock a door that it is connected too. This would allow clever trap systems that would help honest players catch would-be thieves that try to plunder the base when the base owner is offline.

Loving the base building, can't wait to see what creations come out of it. I like the idea of making it easy in the early days to encourage players to make use of it and give feedback.

Server admins can help by randomly dropping laden urals near people's new bases. Or a chopper crash site loaded with buildables.

Do want to see some permanence to them also, need a last updated variable to differentiate between abandoned bases and ones that are being worked on.

Abandoned bases could degrade into a ruin at server restarts with a load of lumber etc around it.. active bases go into the database, could see some scrap cities grow out of long term db saving..

• 2 weeks later...

Chainsaw 50% fast

We may actually do a chainsaw... I think I missed it in the notes but crafting will now process all available items with one click.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a chainsaw added that will speed up the process of chopping down trees.

This is the most boring and time consuming part of the mod in my opinion, and having something that would speed it up would be a great addition.

A chainsaw makes a lot of noise however, and should attract any nearby zombies.

It should also require fuel, but there currently isn't any small gas cans. Maybe a fill will just last a really, really long time.

I don't know about other maps, but in Chernarus there are small lumber camps spread around the map with sheds near them. make the chainsaw a spawn chance at those only possibly.

possible crafting recipe:

1 engine parts - engine

2 scrap metal - chassis and misc parts

1 fuel tank parts - fuel tank

1 wire fence kit - chain

1 tank trap - blade