protect locked vehicles

ekroemer

Question

Hi there,

is there a way to protect locked vehicles against complete destruction?

Background of the question:

I'm playing on a very nice server with an active and friendly admin who tries to simultaneously satisfy players of all persuasions - bandits/survivors, clan/solo.

One of the things that alienates many players is that vehicles that you lock before logout are destroyed when you come online again the next day.
Let's not start a 'That's DayZ' discussion here - imo on a populated server there is no safe place to hide the car, so it's not the victim's fault and there is no skill involved on the bandit's side, either (heli radar finds any vehicle). This progresses to the point where it makes no sense anymore to save money for a car and all revert to plain DayZ PvP on foot - ruining one of the great attractions of Epoch.

Up to now this was not an issue on our server becaus the admin had a repair script he ran daily to repair/refuel all damaged vehicles and restore destroyed ones instead of deleting them from the database.

But now we have a similar problem as GucciMane describes in http://dayzepoch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/481-vehicle-ammo/ and judging from the missing answers in that thread there seems to be no method to make vehicle ammo something you'd have to work for.

So our admin decided to cease his repair actions so vehicle based action would again be something the player had to put at least some effort into.
While I completely endorse the primary effect, the secondary is that now the way is open again for vandalism.

So I come back to my question:

• Can you prevent locked cars from being blown up? It's ok when they are damaged but they should be repairable without need of admin action (I've heard that landed helis do _not_ blow up completely when shot at?)
  • Another approach could be a database script that picks all destroyed owned vehicles and restores them into a repairable state. As I don't know MySQL, could someone post a database command that would do just this?

What are other options? Some servers have base shields but that would not benefit non-clan players. Any other ideas?

1 answer to this question

I know that there was some awesome work done adding god mode to players when inside trader cities for anti-grieving and server owners wishing to employ it.

http://dayzepoch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/386-better-safezone-maybe/

I am not sure if the same "God Mod" could be applied to a vehicle once locked, but it could be a viable option also for server owners that wish to head down that path.