Looking for great DayZ Epoch experience, but I'm confused where to start looking. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

BraydenJose

Hey everyone,

So, long story short, I used to play OG Arma 2 DayZ Epoch more than 5 years ago. Playing the Epoch mod on Arma 2 was absolutely one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had and I miss it every day. I miss the trading, base building, and awesome PvP tension when I was scavenging for supplies. I would love to get back into Epoch.

However, I’m really confused about how I would go about getting back into playing Epoch. I haven’t played for years and I’ve been reading about the mod in 2019.

Apparently, there’s Arma 2 Epoch, Arma 3 Epoch, and there’s supposedly an Epoch mod coming for DayZ SA? Could anyone tell me the differences between all these version of Epoch – if there even is one? Which one of these is the “best” place to play the Epoch mod and why is it the best?

I own both Arma 2 and Arma 3. If the standalone is really the best place to play Epoch, then I have no issue purchasing the game. I’m just really confused as to where I should be looking to get back into Epoch. Especially since I always figured Arma 2 would be “dead” after so long.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I have given up on A3 Exile and Epoch (this is MY opinion do get mad if you don't like it), in the A3 beginning I loved the Epoch mod with the drones that came out of nowhere and spotted you and teleported to you a few guys heavily armed and set to insane skill level most likely would kill you. Then you'd spawn again in one of the 4 or 3 map locations that were near to where you died and run like hell Pink Floyd style to get back to your body. You had a tendency to recruit a friend to help and maybe you'd kill the AI solders or maybe you and your friend would end up running like hell again. Then you'd finally win!, and kill the AI solders using tactics and they had some really good gear for the reward was pretty good however, night would fall upon Altis and then a very spooky thing came out that looked like a grim reaper from ghost hell! It would lock you down if it saw you and you had very little chance to get away usually if you heard or saw it in the distance best way of dealing with it was RUN! Sometime it was so damn dark you'd almost run into a guy with no head that would explode I believe he'd come at you screaming.  The thing is I stopped playing A3 Epoch because it felt like Arma 3 with a mod Altis was kind of a bad map for it the stage felt forced because everything was clean and new the comparison to the Arma 2 DayZ Epoch mod was everything was already old it felt old the bad things there were buildings most of them you could get into them as they were props Arma 2 was getting a bit clunky feeling. Some people went to DayZ Origin because there was and were major map and modifications that really made that mod stand alone but unfortunately it did stand alone they did not try to bridge to the Arma 3 because of porting size issues they were always going to remake the game but it is still sitting now for I think 2 years.

Arma 3 Exile mod the person that did it kinda plugged it as a Wile E, Coyote setting booby traps in road to get a thing called "RESPECT" to purchase stuff at the trader, I loved the parachuting down after you die and respawning they added zombies later and the zombies went through an evolution of changes and bugs, I think the Bambi thing lead to PUBG. But, I think the map is what did it in for me again being able to loot buildings that are mostly all enterable is the staple or that type of game but the map always has the  Army Arma 3 fell. As for the mod I didn't over all care for it it felt as though it was thrown together in a hurry and just Arma 3 parts called and mashed like taking a can of bean (DZ Staple) and putting a new label on it like Peaches. The Epoch mod It felt like quality brand time and thought were put into it and of course it started when A3 wasn't even finished yet so a load of expertise was noticed by me.

I have to mention Breaking Point mod! Using Arma 3's engine or something. That was really going somewhere 4-6 characters to choose from and they had different skill trees or sets I loved they made and used mostly there own or remade maps and, the character models were premium and made by them I think top notch they put a lot of time in to them. But where is it now? Not sure but if games don't have a never ending purpose they will end. I did a fast Gargle on the googler and they are still there with what it looks like some amazing screen shots the last info post was June or 2019 but the site is 2020 and kept up. I may check that out for myself.

Arma 2 Dayz Epoch mod? There are still a few servers in that realm I checked them out over a year ago and lots of good engine changes have been made to A2 I get endless frames and the mod runs very smooth and works well but all my friends that saw me playing were on to the new stuff and it still is that old Charnarus map with most no enterable buildings pretty plan but really good game play performance. 

DayZ SA I bought it the day it came out 4 years ago Alpha, bad head ache for trying it out for I'd try it every other month and not much changed hardly, the words lower left always flashed "I'M feeling hungry" even after you ate so I left it for a longer period about end 2018 they made significant additions to the map building and building and building to loot! And food under trees mushrooms in the forests I don't think they had animals in we played the experimental version to see what was coming and it looked good but that was fairy play and didn't count. They finally released it and people are slowly trickling back major frames and performance boosts I get 90 and in the 100s for frames that map?, most of the places I went in A2 I didn't even recognize they went above and close to beyond on the maps ~claps. Now people are allowed to mod and configure their own servers and mods are indeed coming along but people coming back the trickle is still kinda slow people may have an understandable bad taste in their mouths. There is no AI models other than zombies so that's not mod-able yet but I came back here when I heard it might be coming on the next release of DayZ SA. They still need o get the vehicles ironed out they tend to shove you in the map or they become stealth aircraft or kamikaze fun! The map has a good feel to it and there is potential there and I hope it's coming in the form of an Epoch Evolution Mod DayZ SAEEM, has a good ring to it huh?

P.S. I forgot one last the DayZ SA cars could easily turn into Epoch Moseys'

I also forgot to mention, there is big game hunting in DayZ and it's part of the game.

• 10 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, BraydenJose said:

Hey everyone,

So, long story short, I used to play OG Arma 2 DayZ Epoch more than 5 years ago. Playing the Epoch mod on Arma 2 was absolutely one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had and I miss it every day. I miss the trading, base building, and awesome PvP tension when I was scavenging for supplies. I would love to get back into Epoch.

However, I’m really confused about how I would go about getting back into playing Epoch. I haven’t played for years and I’ve been reading about the mod in 2019.

Apparently, there’s Arma 2 Epoch, Arma 3 Epoch, and there’s supposedly an Epoch mod coming for DayZ SA? Could anyone tell me the differences between all these version of Epoch – if there even is one? Which one of these is the “best” place to play the Epoch mod and why is it the best?

I own both Arma 2 and Arma 3. If the standalone is really the best place to play Epoch, then I have no issue purchasing the game. I’m just really confused as to where I should be looking to get back into Epoch. Especially since I always figured Arma 2 would be “dead” after so long.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

If you enjoyed dayz back in the day, there is still some good servers doing epoch the old school way, the survival way. check out a new server called "dayz Done Right" the nostalgia is real