FEMALE SKINS pretty please :D

Cherry Darling

I think that it's FAB that you "boyz" get to look all snazzy in your "outfits" or "Skins" as you put it(*puffs chest* makes it sound more manly).  :P

Buttttttt! Girlz just wanna have funnnnn! And that means more girl skins in EPOCH :)

I mean we can't even wear a Ghillie suit? wtf. While I'm kickin ass in the Zombie world, I'd like to have a bit more options :). Instead of the same what 4 skins? All of which have my head looking like someone licked it with a paste laden tongue.

Who decided this was a good idea?? And please lets not be lazy about it like origins, using the male form with just a female head. Come one now, making us all look like Greta..."I VILL BRRRREEAAAK YOU!"  

ok all kidding aside, great job, great mod <3 But more female skins pretty please, or at least put the ability to add them ourselves w/out making client side files. :) Thanks again!

Was about to make such a skin-related post on my own. So instead of double posting I will add my 2 cents here.

I don't dislike the basic female model (it looks realistic. I especially like the apt facial expression). But aside of the missing diversity, playing a female character in Epoch is a big disadvantage because all female skins have little to zero camo effect. Even the "camo" ones. Before the update removed all female traders from Klen (and apparently some others from the other trader cities as well) there was a female food trader. Looked like an older russian lady. Or the medicine trader (basic female model, but without the hat). I'd already be happy if THEIR skins would be wearable. The male trader skins all are. So I'm disappointed about this update. I had heard new skins were about to be implemented in this one and assumed that also meant female skins. But instead of making at least the few female trader skins wearable, as i hoped, (was especially looking forward to wear the elderly russian lady skin. I just love the idea of a babushka defending her lawn with an AK-47) the babushka trader I grew to like was removed.

I often play male characters because of the camo & skin diversity, so I also will profit from the new male skins, but I think it's sad that there is no good female representation. Especially because the DayZ scenario is about a normal population being caught up in a zombie apocalypse. That means old, young, male and female.

So, yes, please, please more diversity for female skins! And please, please skins that fit into the general game feeling. (No "I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Chernarus Edition" or "Chernarus' Next Top Model" stuff). DayZ draws its allure from being realistic. The skins in Origins aren't bad (aside of the hooker bandits. Yeah, TRY to run from zombies through a forest in high-heels and mini skirt. Totally realistic.). They definitely aren't "women's heads on men's bodies" (at least when I played the mod). Just casual women clothes that are realistic for the survival-themed situation in a cold, rural russian area. But they sadly also ignore the camo aspect in large parts and playing as a woman thus has disadvantages also in Origins. Especially after accidentally becoming a bandit. What were they thinking? A camo colored bikini would totally make me blur into the background? For real?

More female traders and new female zombies would be cool, too. Best case: Let the russian babushka be a gun trader :D Or a zombie. (That would explain why she's suddenly missing)

I am a woman so I naturally identify myself with female characters in order to get hooked on a game (no matter if they are young, old, black, white or rotten green). Just like men do with male characters. DayZ is a great game and Epoch is a great mod (VERY good job!), but the unrealistic absence of identification figures is a bit irritating and sometimes breaks the "spell" of the game for me. Obviously it's no big deal, else I wouldn't be playing Epoch so much, but it's something that could be improved.

TL;DR Version

- More skins for females, but survival themed, realistic and partly camo. And did I already mention camo? Camo.

- Please bring back the babushka trader

- Maybe even as a zombie

- And definitely as a wearable skin!

So long and thanks for all the fish (no, really. I like the fishing feature.),

Chell

BTW, some male skins could be awesome too.

There are a lot of arma 2 skins which are amazing !

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Infantry

and

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_OA:_Infantry

Why not making like a huge skin collection with all of this ? ^^

Edit :

For female skins, there are some beautyfull, like those :

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_secretary.jpg

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_damsel.jpg

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_farmwife.jpg (ok this one is weird)

As Bohemia recently released some of the sources for these characters I've been putting around with them and trying to develop a solid workflow for making them playable...and moving forward customizable in terms of skins etc.

The largest barrier is that they used a completely different skeleton that isn't directly compatible with a large portion of the animations we cycle through as a playable unit.  I've made quite a bit of progress so far and I'll keep you guys posted as things develop.

As for making the females more combat friendly and to avoid any in-game disadvantages, that has been my primarily goal along side the feature of having a wider variation for female characters. 

I'll cover a couple technical issues that have to be considered when approaching this portion of the mod.

Skins:  Simply replacing a color/diffuse image for how the texture is wrapped around the character mesh can get complicated, a lot of times the results differ greatly from how the texture looks out the gates.
            Due to the use of more involved materials using numerous texture maps with specific traits in each color channel to gain the desired effect with shaders,  its not a drag and drop process.
            Beyond that, we can't just substitute our own materials for these characters, as the game doesn't allow it due to binarization and the materials being "baked" into the model it's self.

All that being said, we now have access to more of the characters and can redistribute them with our modifications once it's all figured out how to do it properly.  More than likely I will have to break these meshes down to their most primitive form and completely re-rig them using a skeleton that is suitable for standard weaponized play. 

I'll keep you guys posted and perhaps I'll use a new thread to keep everyone up to date on progress with this.  As it's very important to me for our players to be represented equally, whether that be with weapon choice or vanity.
Although male builds with female heads would be dogshit easy, I feel that's unacceptable and you guys deserve more realistic looking female frames. 

Much love to you all, thank you your support and attention; we hope the recent patch has offered some exciting new gameplay.

BTW, some male skins could be awesome too.

There are a lot of arma 2 skins which are amazing !

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Infantry

and

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_OA:_Infantry

Why not making like a huge skin collection with all of this ? ^^

Edit :

For female skins, there are some beautyfull, like those :

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_secretary.jpg

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_damsel.jpg

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_civ_farmwife.jpg (ok this one is weird)

lol While some of this isn't bad, I can't see traipsing around in a skirt whether it be grandma style or Cherry Darling style ;).  I love any pants/camo style type stuff. I think a nun outfit would be a fantastic skin to ad. Can you imagine rocking a fn-fal and a nun outfit. Good stuff. :D

So I almost went on a long rant about the BS of people claiming ownership and rights to content created with BI tools, but I'll repress my anger toward stupidity and get to the point.
I'm repeating myself here but the biggest complaint I've had from female players is about skins.
Hopefully Epoch gets permission to use SchnapsdroSel's Female US Soldier pack. The pictures do it no justice. They are great female skins.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12248
I know everyone wants to do things all PC, but if you've made sufficient request for permission with no response, I think you're safe to just use them.
I find it highly unlikely SchnapsdroSel would protest if they can't even reply to a permission request. lol
The content is technically BI property anyway.
If SchnapsdroSel later requests it taken out it wouldn't be the first time it's happened to Epoch.
We would at least get to enjoy the new skins for a while at least.
The blame would be all on SchnapsdroSel and not Epoch for being stingy. lol

Or at least SOMEONE, for the love of (insert diety here), finally does a proper tutorial on adding skins to an epoch server.
Sure it's easy to just add that mod and add the classname to your model, but making it a Skin_ seems to be this closely guarded mystery.

People cliam to have the knowledge but are intent on you mucked about in code for days reinventing the wheel.
Just tell me how many goats, children, and/or virgins I have to sacrifice to be in the club and I'll do it myself lol
btw just kidding about sacrificing the goats and virgins.. ;)

• 1 month later...

any news on this? 

How about this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12248

Changelog:

v2

Backpack support

Added female pilot

Added a version with helmet

fixed some stuff

femalepilot_4.jpg

"I'm ready to military now." 

That helmet looks slightly out of proportion. Anyway, I like the idea of new female skins! They are not too large in filesize either.

+1 for female skins.

If you guys find skin packs that you like male or female message the aurthor and ask if he would grant Epoch the use of his/hers files.

Than let Awol know.

I think it would be pretty cool for Epoch to have custom skins. And maybe a few other mods like

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4661

Epoch is awesome but this kind of stuff would just BLOW IT AWAY!

Please bring those female skins mentioned earlier... That would be finally a reason to pick a woman in the gender selection.

+1

+1 for female skins.

If you guys find skin packs that you like male or female message the aurthor and ask if he would grant Epoch the use of his/hers files.

Than let Awol know.

I think it would be pretty cool for Epoch to have custom skins. And maybe a few other mods like

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4661

Epoch is awesome but this kind of stuff would just BLOW IT AWAY!

Oo-er! They look awesome too.

Well if you want to use the built-in female skins you can forget it. The UV mapping on the female char is not what the BI chars use, I've already tested it by adding in the original female skins as outfits. To get those skins to work it will require a completely new .paa file for every original female skin. Sorry to burst your bubble... I had to end up throwing away all of those outfits since they were unusable (due to the PG 13 limit here I can't mention why :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you want to use the built-in female skins you can forget it. The UV mapping on the female char is not what the BI chars use, I've already tested it by adding in the original female skins as outfits. To get those skins to work it will require a completely new .paa file for every original female skin. Sorry to burst your bubble... I had to end up throwing away all of those outfits since they were unusable (due to the PG 13 limit here I can't mention why :) )

That's not entirely true, The UVs get flipped horizontally and rotated 90 degress in the unbinarization process. 

Just to give an update on female skins, I'm finalizing the high poly mesh on a female base model.  I'm making sure proportions are natural so I won't have to make any severe changes in the low poly mesh.  Once I've prepared all the materials and rigged this new character for animation within Arma, numerous variants will follow very closely.  This is a huge research and development period for us on the epoch team, we're really pushing ourselves to push the limits and provide the best gaming experience possible.

I'm trying to make sure these new characters are top notch quality, as you guys deserve no less, especially for the amount of time you have supported us, and wanted more playable female characters. 

The aim is to have these ready for A3 Epoch, but I see no reason why we couldn't incorporate them into the A2 mod if they're working in game.

That's not entirely true, The UVs get flipped horizontally and rotated 90 degress in the unbinarization process. 

Just to give an update on female skins, I'm finalizing the high poly mesh on a female base model.  I'm making sure proportions are natural so I won't have to make any severe changes in the low poly mesh.  Once I've prepared all the materials and rigged this new character for animation within Arma, numerous variants will follow very closely.  This is a huge research and development period for us on the epoch team, we're really pushing ourselves to push the limits and provide the best gaming experience possible.

I'm trying to make sure these new characters are top notch quality, as you guys deserve no less, especially for the amount of time you have supported us, and wanted more playable female characters. 

The aim is to have these ready for A3 Epoch, but I see no reason why we couldn't incorporate them into the A2 mod if they're working in game.