Welcome to DayZ... you suck.

ToejaM

I'd had enough of people complaining about being killed as a fresh spawn or for every other reason other than it was their fault. 9/10 of all situations can be won if you are willing to be patient and take the right precautions, of course you'll always be in a situation where you are genuinely out gunned and this is the time to flee, as surviving is the number one goal in DayZ, everything else is secondary. If you survive, thats a win, its not always about the kill. If you die, you've lost and you might consider fleeing as a loss too but ultimately, ceasing to be alive is the biggest loss you can suffer.

So a while ago I wrote a pretty long winded, detailed explanation of how I play the game, including general loadout to game mechanics on my community website, from my own experiences of Arma and other tactical shooters that has served me well over my time of playing but in Arma it has been very effective. So read it while you're running back from the coast to your base.

Anytime someone complained about being killed as a freshspawn, I linked them the thread. Anytime someone complained about being outgunned, I linked them the thread. Did they read it? No but they're obviously in need of advice and I couldnt find anything better online, the reason you die is because you put yourself into a situation that is out of your depth.

It'll come across as elitist and that is the intention, be proud of the way you play.. it gets me by and I think even the more veteran of you out there will benefit from at least something in the guide. Remember, everyday is a school day.

I think you can take the information in the guide and put it to good use in any game where death results in you being out of the game for a good period of time, or round based modes/games such as Counter-Strike. Quick respawning games not so much, people arent afraid of dying when they know their ADHD desires are about to be quenched in a long 15 seconds.

Just yesterday, carrying smoke grenades saved me from being pinned behind a tree and allowed me to rotate and secure another kill, in chat they mentioned it to, most people just don't expect it to happen and are happy the stay trained on the tiny object you're using as cover.. You rarely see smoke grenades used correctly in DayZ if at all but they are powerful tools that everyone should carry, and they're very common to loot!

I hope this helps and be advised, if you don't like profanity you might want to get some black tape or use an online profanity filter ;)

http://www.cpc-gaming.eu/forum/m/12670048/viewthread/9079836-welcome-to-dayz-you-suck

Feel free to pick it apart and we can discuss it, its an opinion though so what works for me may not work for you and you'll have to put your own spin on how you handle situations but as a general guide, I think if you adopt parts of it you can improve your game play.

Never did understand the whine with being killed as a new spawn. You have nothing to lose and coming back is a click away. Since the re-spawn is fairly well randomised you have little chance of being spawn camped. If you run into a heavily trafficked area expect to be shot at. 

I have a terrible issue, when I hear a gunshot I tend to run towards it. Yes I carry smoke and flares with me as well. Smoke can be great for marking targets as well as concealment (nothing says I'm running away then popping some pink smoke in front of you) flares for heli pickups at night. Although PKP rounds into the air do as good a job if you don't mind everyone in 1km knowing you are there. I also tend to move like a squirrel on LSD, totally paranoid and never sitting in the same place too long (unless specifically camping). 

Smokes are brilliant all round, marking landing zones, concealment and distraction. Also brilliant for drawing zombies away instead of firing your weapon if you don't have a silenced weapon. Just an underrated tool by most.

One thing I have found is good, is lowering your weapon you can be overlooked as people are used to seeing the raised weapon model.. so when watching players if you lower your weapon its a different model to look at. Obviously don't do this in bright white clothing as you'll still stand out.

Its definitely about what feels right for you but there is so much more to surviving than just running around overtly and getting murdered then crying about it but it requires patience and the ADHD generation often lack this, more kills for me ;)

Many people have too much pride for posts like this, they think "I don't need this... who is this guys to tell me how to play", and that is mostly because often people who write these threads do it in quite an arrogant manner. However this is not the case here, I found it very informative, constructive and a good read overall. Good work here buddy, as a more experienced player myself I have to admit I found myself agreeing with you near every step of the way. 

Great post :) I know it will help out many a player!

Cheers bud, you're right - people just don't like advice at all.. they do like to blame everyone else but themselves for dying though!

I admit, I'm very self righteous and I know best but lately, I've been reading a lot of guides for games and you'll be suprised how much you can learn and that little bit of information you didn't know can really make your game better.

Thats why the title of my thread is how it is, I read a lot of dota2 guides and watched many youtube videos, noticed there wasnt something similar for DayZ so thought I'd make it for the benefit of my community and share it with everyone else!