X groups of Y AI units or X*Y alone AI units?

Donnovan

Question

I read words from Dwarden saying that in a group of Arma 3 units, each unit have it own brain.

So if instead of creating X groups of Y units i create X*Y alone AI units i will be using more CPU resources?

For Arma 2 this is true (i will be using more CPU resources) since the entire group have only one brain and not one brain per unit. But for Arma 3, i think the use of resources is the same.

Anyone is able to confirm?

Thankyou!

2 answers to this question

On 6/29/2018 at 2:20 AM, Donnovan said:

I read words from Dwarden saying that in a group of Arma 3 units, each unit have it own brain.

So if instead of creating X groups of Y units i create X*Y alone AI units i will be using more CPU resources?

For Arma 2 this is true (i will be using more CPU resources) since the entire group have only one brain and not one brain per unit. But for Arma 3, i think the use of resources is the same.

Anyone is able to confirm?

Thankyou!

Yes, each AI runs its own brain, and I guess each group. As Grahame pointed out, also remember that at the present time, Arma 3 limits you to 288 groups per side, and Arma 2 to 144 groups per side. for Arma 3, unless you run something insane you should never reach the 288 group cap. You will know if you did because createGroup will start returning grpNull. I used to put checks in blckealgs to test for that condition but removed them since the increase in the cap on groups per side. Note also that you can manage the server resources dedicated to groups or AI by either poling each group for nearby players and disabling simulation when no players are near or by using dynamic simulation manager build into Arma 3. Also note that the simulation managers do show some delay in activating Ai so build in a safety factor when doing this.