AI Heli Patrols

Karmafied

Question

I would like to make my AI Helicopters similar to the ones found in the original Origins... deadly and terrifying. I am currently using DZAI and WAI, yet neither will detect players on the ground when patrolling. My understanding through forum browsing (via Buttface's posts) is that when patrolling, DZAI won't detect players until reaching the destination/waypoint. I would like to use DZAI, WAI, or ANY other AI program you recommend (Sarge AI, etc.) to make my helis detect players ON FOOT from 1k away. I am fairly certain this is done by modifying some setting inside the AI mod; as there are coded differences between the detect distance of Man vs. Car vs. Air.

I want the players to FEAR the sound of the helis...

Any help is appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I have DZAI, I have 2 helis that roam the map at all times. I have between the Uh 1H and Mi 17. Players always get pinned down by helis. the huey is easier to kill the pilot. but the mi17 you need a good gun to take them down.

How far they actually pick up on players im not sure.

I never tried an apache lol could be fun

That I believe wont be possible cause a.i can only shoot what they can see. Unless of course someone else knows how to make it so. But I never heard of it. You can bump their difficulty in distance though. However maybe you can try in dzai_config.sqf, search for DZAI_skill0 = [ and below that look for ["spotDistance",0.60,0.89], change the 2nd number (60) to maybe 80 to test. If i'm right that would be 80 meters. If that works then see if 100 works and so on. If im wrong mods please correct me

DZAI_findKiller = true;
DZAI_dynAISpawns = true;
DZAI_huntingChance = 0.90;
DZAI_heliReinforceChance = 0.95;
DZAI_heliUnitLevel = 3;

These are some settings to have a look at. DZAI has comments on how to config them.

spotdistance as described above is not the way to go.. thats a setting min/max skill level and you would be using skill3 anyhow.

Waypoint settings are BI related. Check the options here.  You might could replace "MOVE" but I think its the best option.
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Waypoint_types#Quick_list

Also Heli_detectplayers.sqf has the range listed
_detectRange = if (_unitGroup getVariable ["DetectPlayersWide",false]) then {_unitGroup setVariable ["DetectPlayersWide",false]; 375} else {250};
250-375... you could edit those.

10 hours ago, kingpapawawa said:

Waypoint settings are BI related. Check the options here.  You might could replace "MOVE" but I think its the best option.
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Waypoint_types#Quick_list

Also Heli_detectplayers.sqf has the range listed
_detectRange = if (_unitGroup getVariable ["DetectPlayersWide",false]) then {_unitGroup setVariable ["DetectPlayersWide",false]; 375} else {250};
250-375... you could edit those.

I think you may be onto something here. This is what I’ve been looking for (I believe). I will try tonight and report back (for the sake of future info seekers). Thanks, @kingpapawawa!