Building a Base at Pobeda Dam: Thoughts?

DrScandalous

I know it's terribly generic, but I'm just looking for a place to put down some roots on a private server. Seems fairly out of the way with plenty of level ground to build and expand upon. Thoughts? If you're for it, let me know... if you're against it, I'm totally up for alternate suggestions and/or explanations of why you think it's a bad idea. 

Thanks in advance!

Any base has pluses and minuses. One advantage to the dams is that the top can be used as a heli landing pad and the spillway areas can be closed off and turned into rather robust saferooms. For Pobeda, it's far from the coast (which can be an advantage or disadvantage). It is semi close to NEAF, which means you may see some air traffic, but you aren't likely to see much vehicle traffic unless they are specifically headed there.

Try building within 1km of the edge of the map (but not much closer) in an area where there is no reason for traffic. If you build near the edge of the map then those people who do border fly overs will find it. Some previous successful locations that existed for weeks without being found. 

1. NW part of map farm house with fuel. Directly west there is a forest and valley that has space to land a helo or two. If you base up in the woods and don't use helos it will take a long time to find. 

2. 1000m east of that location (roughly) there is a plateau with clusters of trees. Had a tent only base there while getting established for several weeks. It was never found. 

3. If you map has a "NORTH AIR BASE" 750m or so to the NW of that was a good spot. 

4. The very south western edge of the map does not give much cause for people to go there. Its too obvious but it works...basically just follow the coast road all the way west. 

To reiterate, the key is ensuring that the spot is not on a transit route. The dam because its marked on the map will naturally draw people there.

Another tactic, is to make a small discrete base near other larger more active bases. If you have patience for the long term eventually you will find an opportunity to attack when their doors and safes are open. If you are prepared with combo locks and the attack is successful their base can then become your base or better yet just area denial them and snipe from tree lines while they try to get it back. That tactic was used successfully by Che and Castro in Latin America and eventually the base holders just retreated. 

Good call on the area denial tactic.  Often times you don't even have to be lethal to get people to leave the structure behind and you can at a minimum try to expand on it.  Its a huge target for others though so be prepared.

I've built West of Zelenegorsk back when you had to hide fully raidable tents and gone months with nobody taking my stuff.  Not much of a reason to go that way and there's fuel and plenty of food in the town. 

I play on a server that has indestructible bases enabled, is there any other reason to build in the midge of no where for me? Is rather build close to Stary, unless there is a reason not to that I'm missing?? (New to epoch btw)

I wouldn't build somewhere where it's highly populated because while you're building/working around your base you're exposed to everyone and everything. Easily accessibility trade off for higher vulnerability. Same reason why you don't place a safe in the middle of Cherno... sure, it's super convenient but you're really vulnerable while you access it. 

Can someone helicopter in and remove plot pole and take over my base?

I think the only time someone can do that is if you've just died. My understanding is that THAT is the only time someone can deconstruct your plot pole (other than you). But the odds of someone rolling across your base and JUST SO HAPPENING to have 3+ toolboxes/crowbars on them... :)

Yes they can take your base.

I hold on to every toolbox and crowbar I see for this very reason.  If you do the same you have the potential to take it back.

I placed my plot pole inside of an empty safe.  Not in the safe's inventory but I used page-down to hide it inside of a current standing safe so nobody can see it and I can always repack that safe to recover my pole. 

Yes they can take your base.

I hold on to every toolbox and crowbar I see for this very reason.  If you do the same you have the potential to take it back.

So you're saying that you'll have the ability to take it back... as a defensive/recovery maneuver. I get that. 

Just to make sure... my understanding is that you CANNOT just go up to someone's active base (that they have an active plot pole on) and "steal" their plot pole. CUz if that's the case, I'm going to start going around and hunting for plot poles to sell! :)

So you're saying that you'll have the ability to take it back... as a defensive/recovery maneuver. I get that. 

Just to make sure... my understanding is that you CANNOT just go up to someone's active base (that they have an active plot pole on) and "steal" their plot pole. CUz if that's the case, I'm going to start going around and hunting for plot poles to sell! :)

You won't make back much considering how many broken tools you will end up with. ;)

On my server plot poles cost six 10oz gold/ea... so even if use 6 toolboxes + 6 crowbars on each, I'm still coming out WAY ahead. :)

-IF- most people are reporting it takes dozens of Toolboxes and Crowbars to remove them. Yes you are still coming out 5 10oz gold ahead but not many people place them where you CAN remove them easily. Typically you will have to break into their base first and that is if they haven't hidden it. With the time invested into breaking into and trying to remove the thing you could probably have found other ways to make gold faster. ;)