Never mind the zeds this bloody server is killing me!!!

arkaros42

in pursuit of my own epoch server. I spend nearly 2 years of my life learning all this and setting it up. However i have to thank certain excellent folks on this forum for helping me. I dilligently work at it and slowly ever slowly get there at long frustrating last. Yes i can see it on the horizon I shall have an epoch server of my own. Then one day my wish comes true and sure enough it begins. But it's only a beginning mind, I've still got to spend months adding scripts and building everything in the editor, working almost every day at it! Months pass and then it is done too. Now I have built it and surely they will come. Weeks pass with a live server then months and nobody comes. I almost give up at this point because its pointless without players to interact with it. More time passes its been over 2 years of smashing my head off this bloody thing! I am about to walk away, more time wasted, another lesson learned.

I stop concentrating on the sever and strangely a few days ater there are some players and slowly like some snowball it gains a life and size of its own.  In amazement i start working with it helping people out doing admin things and enabling peeps to have fun.

From here it goes from strength to strength and suddenly all the frustration and learning and time seems worth it.  Now my server population peaks at 15-20 players per day and relationships are being forged and now its definetely all worth it. I am truly content...

This story is now in the present. This morning my main server drive and back up drive were corrupted and I have been left with nothing... All my work gone, server custom content the players constructions EVERYTHING!!!

I want to explode with frustration but what good would that do!?!

I can't put it back by myself and right now I just don't have the strength or heart left to try...

somewhere out there on the internet players who were having fun and loving my effort are wondering what happened to the server and the admin who ran it

it doesn't seem fair somehow....

1 hour ago, arkaros42 said:

This morning my main server drive and back up drive were corrupted and I have been left with nothing... All my work gone, server custom content the players constructions EVERYTHING!!!

This mean? Why?

well thats the thing i did have it backed up four times on three different drives, something has been corrupting my hard disks. I don't know what caused it. maybe a virus! I just know that three backups on two different pcs have been lost.. As I said it just doesn't seem fair...

all well that ends well! two days of learning how to fix 2012 r2 server and i finally got the server back!

yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

not an epoch error a 2012 r2 server boot error

thank the blue monkey for that i was about to give it up for good.

i even got the database back 

best of all worlds....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...