leegreaves

I've just started a new project (well my 2nd one!) which is gonna take a good while. I've envisioned this to be a BIG undertaking of a project by someone who, I would consider myself , is quite an inexperienced content creator. But and a BIG but (NO! Not my arse its not that big i mean the project!) I wanted to create something that would have people eager to go and explore. Anyway this project is gonna be a a difficult project to create, plus I only started it yesterday. I also wanted to give people an idea of what to look forward to, so made a preview video. You will see literally nothing but the blank canvas (other than the first few stone wall foundations) I am using and my idea was to give people an idea of the potential this custom "base" will bring to Chernarus. Anyway, apparently this base is being built in an undisclosed and restricted area of Chernarus and as such, I am not allowed to disclose its location to the general population, but as you can see from this early footage, you may get clues as to where it is. The base wont be open for at least 3 or 4 or even more weeks as I hear the construction employees in that area are always on strike for some stupid little reason or taking tea breaks or having an afternoon kip (Typical Bloody British attitude I hear you all say!) but I have heard on the grapevine that once its finished there will be a small "Premiere" released along with some high definition satelite imagery to show everyone what the finished area looks like. Once completed it'll be available to explore on a single server for a week or two before I consider releasing the blueprints for others to use (that ALL depends how good you can say "Pretty Please" :-P ).

Anyway take a peek...

*Reserved*

*EDIT* So far as of this morning, the entire perimeter wall has been completed and a few buildings/hangars etc have been added. A short landing strip has also been added, ive  also started the first of several tent/barracks areas.

Towards the end of this weekend I will get some pics put up showing you what ive done so far - but without revealing too much as that would spoil the surprise.

*EDIT* OK...so im gonna preview the base on my server for a few days. Work still needs to be done to it but need to bug check it properly on server.  People are more than welcome to come test it when ever they want. Not gonna say the whereabouts...i'll let you find it for yourselves...so go find it, have a peek around it and IF you find anything you feel needs sorting let me know here also if you have any feedback on how to improve/expand upon it, ill see what I can do.

Here's a Clue: The town name sounds like a dessert!

Server Name:  "[RG] Rebel Gamers" Server IP: 82.13.55.237 Port: 2302.

*Reserved*

*EDIT* In process of having a quick test of base map at present, a few things to iron out but otherwise looking nice. I'll be popping a few screenshots up sometime tomorrow in this post for all to see.

*EDIT* As promised here's a few screenshots of what I have done so far. I've put it through a live test on my server so that I can see how it looks and feels. Still have lots to do before I would consider it a to be "finished", minor adjustments such as: TV Tower needs realigning, dead bodies floating in air instead of laying on ground etc.

Also, when I tested this on my server I noticed that 1) The water wells I placed on ground do not work ie you cannot drink or fill a canteen from them, and also there doesnt seem to be any loot spawns occuring in buildings esp in warehouses or barracks. Would anyone have an idea as to why that may be happening?

Link to images: http://imgur.com/a/4pluF

Cheers, just need to consider which would be best, have it as a server side call (more lag on server?!!) or client side (larger mission file) but not sure if having it client side would reduce any possibility of a drop in server performance, I can always ask those nice guys at the NSA if they would lend me one of their core servers to host it xD

Quick update....well outer wall is all done...added airstrip/hangars section...started on some roads inside the area...and also some buildings...still a lot to go. This weekend ill either take some screenshots or a short video to show what is done so far.

Urggghhhhh Randomize? Damn that would be a pretty big undertaking for this particular project, but only due to the due size of it. Yeah smaller bases could be randomized quite nicely as it doesnt take long to make a few in a relatively short time. Unfortunately, with my base, this (ALL i will say at moment) is on a size and hopefully par with the NWAF that you see on here or even dayz standalone. Hence making 2 or 3 versions of this base would probably take 2-3 months to complete. I've surprised myself that Im further down the line with getting this one developed a lot quicker than I thought I would. There are a few glitches to correct ie dead bodies placed in air instead of the ground, the HUGE TV tower that you see like on green mountain being out of alignment due to the constraints of the ground its sitting on (you go to adjust it and it goes all craaaaazzzy on me) and a few other things. Im actually testing it right now on my server and performance seems fine (BUT yes it IS only me on server as locked server out until ive had a couple of days checking it over). I have come across one issue that I noticed, testing it on a live server, the barracks that I have placed are not spawning loot, the water wells arent working for some reason. Things like this I need to iron out, or if anyone has an idea on those small issues give me a pointer will ya - any small help will be appreciated and those who help in a big way if i have any major issues can come check it out before I open the server back up (once I've completed the project and opened server back up that is).

Anyway I lost the plot...Thanks Juan...yeah its good to see NEW content being created for a game thats still going fairly strong. The day the content stops...is the day we all may as well CTRL+ALT+DEL!

Images added. Check  reply #2 below OP.

So anyone have any pointers as to why objects such as water pumps/barracks arent working ie cannot drink at pumps and loot not spawning in barracks?

Only thing I can associate this with is the class name. I compared it against a base someone publised and noticed some differences e.g. The fuelstation is not working (the "Needs Power" message does not appear when parked next to it). What I noticed between my sqf and another one is the class mine says "MAP_A_FuelStation_Feed" whereas the other sqf had "Land_" instead of "Map_". Could this be the reason why these items may not be working as intended when I test it live on my server.

OK...so im gonna preview the base on my server for a few days. Work still needs to be done to it but need to bug check it properly on server.  People are more than welcome to come test it when ever they want. Not gonna say the whereabouts...i'll let you find it for yourselves...so go find it, have a peek around it and IF you find anything you feel needs sorting let me know here also if you have any feedback on how to improve/expand upon it, ill see what I can do.

Here's a Clue: The town name sounds like a dessert!

Server Name:  "[RG] Rebel Gamers" Server IP: 82.13.55.237 Port: 2302.

Items need to be LAND not MAP to spawn loot, that is correct.  The fuelstation classname can be added in variables.sqf to make it work, but again, change it to LAND and it will probably work, as that's what's defined in variables already. 

Yeah ive made the necessary changes already to get loot spawns and water wells working etc. I made another post in this subforum listing the changes that need to be made. Quite a list, and will add to it if anyone comes across any others. I changed the fuelstation classname so they being with Land instead of MAP. Theyre the only thing I need to test out to confirm if they are working or not.