What is the best hosting for DAYZ

macbeth

Question

Hello everyone .. I'm not new to Dayz but I'm a bit new at the server part and want to get a server to learn more about scripting and so on

i know that a DEDI is the best way to go but as of right now I'm very busy with work and life so i cant be spending 24/7 setting it up but once i get better with scripts and such ill setup a dedi at my home 

my question for now is what is the best hosting services that is user friendly and what i want to run is overpoch on napf

Price isn't a big issue BUT id like to know what you guys use and then i cna go checkout the features and go from there 

thanks all for your time have a great day

Macbeth

4 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, macbeth said:

Hello everyone .. I'm not new to Dayz but I'm a bit new at the server part and want to get a server to learn more about scripting and so on

i know that a DEDI is the best way to go but as of right now I'm very busy with work and life so i cant be spending 24/7 setting it up but once i get better with scripts and such ill setup a dedi at my home 

my question for now is what is the best hosting services that is user friendly and what i want to run is overpoch on napf

Price isn't a big issue BUT id like to know what you guys use and then i cna go checkout the features and go from there 

thanks all for your time have a great day

Macbeth

Since you're in canada, soyoustart is probly your best bet. Thats who im with, but it is a dedicated box. The price, service and performance cant be beat (its priced in CAD also)

For hosting, like a GSP... I would tell you to stay as far away as you can from vilayer and GTX. I havnt been with other GSPs, but i heard survival servers were decent. Others in here might have something different to say about them though lol

Most GSPs have the same control panel, so installing mods are a one click install, but only the ones available there, and the SECOND you modify it, with a script that they dont have, you lose their support. They will refuse to help you if you add custom stuff..regardless of your knowledge.

Once you setup a dedi, its much simpler to run than a GSP... with the amount of issues GSPs have, you will constantly be sending tickets lol

I would still recommend setting up a server on your pc as a test bed

Good luck!

thanks for the reply

ya iwas looking at vilayer and GTX lol guess i wont anymore LMAOO

i get the dedi is best but 75/month is a bit much for me for a learning type .. im not expecting billions of players so really its to learn more of the scripting and mods and so on

my server box at home is nothing special

Intel Core duo E8400 @3.00 GHz 2..99 GHz

4 gb ram i could update if if i need  too

my connection is 200mbps up 30 mbps down cable

and so i would expect maybe 10 players or more MAYBE haha 

you think this would be ok to run it ?

If you just want to test out your coding knowledge, then you can make a server on your normal pc. I have one on my laptop to  test scripts  out etc. 

Doing it this way means it's only a LAN server, so you won't get other players joining. Depend what  you want out of it. 

For hosts, most people use GTX or Gaming deluxe  

gtx is ok, never used their support but the control panel is alright. 

Gaming deluxe is who I used when I first started. Support is ok,but as theduke said, the minute you change anything from their defaults, they don't want to know.  I Had many issues with random memory crashes and long periods of downtime when I was with them.  They periodically update windows and when they do it resets all the firewalls so your server doesn't show up in any listings . Four or five times I had to contact them to ask why my server wasn't showing up. Sometimes it would go down in the early morning and I wouldn't notice until I got home from work at five or six in the evening and the server was down the entire time  not great when you have  40 players wanting to play it.

What I have done in the past is bought a game host, but then fully wiped the game/mission files it and ftp'd all my own in the file structure I want , not what they give you.  

I briefly used survivalservers when 106 first came out just to try it, as I didn't want to install it on my Dedi box at the time. 

They were absolutely useless and they couldn't even set it up right to run via their one click install. Again, I had to fully wipe it and ftp my own files, plus completely reinstall the database via navicat to even get the server to load.  Their support was the worst I've come across. 

Dedi is they way to go, I used OVH and webtopia. 

Can vouch for OVH, they are an excellent company and have used their services for many years. If your on a tight budget I reccomend a dedi from kimsufi(child company of OVH) or getting one of their windows cloud vps(should be able to run decent population server well but dedi would be much better).