Friends joining private server

lolingdevil1

Question

Hey guys, so i've been having trouble trying to get my mates to be able to join my private server. So i created a basic server and followed what this guy did :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZv7jQ5rkk

At the end he says if you want friends to be able to join your LAN server to get a program called EVOLVE, however that has since shut down and i'm wondering if there are any other ways to enable friends to join my server like through Hamachi or Tuungle. Any help would be appreciated

5 answers to this question

you need to open your ports for players to connect to your server. Doing this is a bit tricky, as not all ISPs allow you to do this. My ISP, is wireless internet, the modem is on top of my house. The only way for me to get it working was to access the modem through its IP, called my ISP, got the password to access the modem, opened the ports. Then i went  in my router, opened the ports also.

Depending on the ports you use (default 2302) and steam ports are 2303 and 2304. you should open 2500 to 2505.

On 2017-6-24 at 9:19 PM, theduke said:

you need to open your ports for players to connect to your server. Doing this is a bit tricky, as not all ISPs allow you to do this. My ISP, is wireless internet, the modem is on top of my house. The only way for me to get it working was to access the modem through its IP, called my ISP, got the password to access the modem, opened the ports. Then i went  in my router, opened the ports also.

Depending on the ports you use (default 2302) and steam ports are 2303 and 2304. you should open 2500 to 2505.

Yeah i did that and followed a video to make my IP static, but my mates still can't join, is there anything else i have to do ?

I used to use a Dynamic DNS service, it was free. probly the same concept you've done for making you ip static.

Firewall, ports..pretty much it. You wont see the server in launcher for at least 24 hours after the server is running, so your best bet is to connect to it using a windows batch file to connect to it (if you know the server is up and running, you should be able to connect directly).

I'll share the windows batch file when i get home from work later.

You can also "bypass" the port forwarding. Just create a virtual network for that. I recommend Hamachi for that. There you can create networks for up to 6 people (i guess 6), then they can use your IP4 adress from Hamachi and then default port 2302 to connect to your server. The IP adress you get from that programm is also static and as you guys are in one network then (although it's just simulated), they should be able to join. If not, there might be an antivirus system that blocks this connection. I know that programms like ESET Smart and Internet Security do this.