9 hours ago, theduke said:

But the reality is, things change. 

But the Epoch mod did not change by much. It did not add much content to keep the players engaged, but they tried the waters by releasing an update, for the sake of the old times, and in order to see if people still want it to be developed. 
They updated things, and made a new default package, for the modders to have everything together. What's missing? Nobody's adding Sugar Honey Iced Tea to the game, anymore. When was the last time a new map was converted to Epoch? When was the last time another mod was added to the suite? I think the most recent additions were the Sahrani or Jade Groove maps, and the militarized vehicles added to epoch...

Actually, since I'm at it, you know what would be considered a good update for any dayz map? Having most, if not all, the buildings opened, and adding wooden vehicles. Add in a wooden bike, a wooden motorcycle, a wooden ATV and a wooden tractor with space for loot and 3 people, and maybe have it use wood (wood gas) instead of fossil fuel and maybe have a electricity generator that uses wood as fuel, and we've got enough content to keep the servers down to one trader city. Or even trader-less, if you add a way for the lock to be crafted by the players.

Heck, want something else you can do, as a modder, to bring back those fun times? Add smelting, pottery and food preparing to the game. Let people grow plants and animals, let people cook foods that give them boosts (like more blood, or stop bleeding, or alternative to medicine), let them make clay pots, fire them, use a resin+dust for glue, and have the meals stay good for years, add smelting so people can make metal things out of the rocks we can now mine, and you've got a source of low-tech things, like locks and engines that can't go fast (perfect for the wooden vehicles).

Players love updates, and they love even more seeing new things. So if you get this done, and have the mods showcased by some youtubers and livestreamers share this with the world, and your content is kinda good, it WILL take off, as soon as that content gets to the dayz players that enjoyed the mod back in the day.

Add a kickstarter campaign + patreon + youtube + twitch +twitter + facebook +instagram for the cause, and even if you've got the same content on all those (except kickstarter where things should seem to be better than they are, because PR and advertising, and patreon where you should give beta testing in exchange for money), you've got a marketing campaign that's more solid than what most of the businesses are doing. Get that attention to your upgrade to the game, and you'll revive the community, and that leads to more usage of your mod, which leads to more shameless advertising for you. You only have to hang on until the critical point, after which everything will become easier.

---

Funny thing about Wood Gas is that it was used on a small scale during one of the World Wars, in Germany, and stopped because of deforestation issues, the regained availability of the fossil fuel and the work required to change the vehicles from petroleum to wood gas..

--

Never thought I would give business and advertising advice on this forum...

All of these ideas are amazing except for one thing, there's only 3 or 4 of us still working on A2 epoch, no one does models and no one gets paid, we do this for free in our OWN time outside of our family / work.

It really grinds my gears that people want this that and the other thing but are not willing to help.

I would, but I don't do models, I don't know how to get started to learn modding for A2, and I need to find a job first. So I did the only other thing I knew: Gave a few hints towards what should be done to secure a consistent stream of money towards this mod's development.

Patreon for the money, the rest for advertising the mod and the patreon account. Because having one of the prizes for reaching a certain quota of monthly pay being having a whitelisted server where the latest changes can be checked while they're still not completely developed, is a good way to have people think they're being offered some value RIGHT NOW, for the price they're paying.

I would do more, and I probably will, If life won't drag me in a different direction, but for now that's all I can do. I might be able to help you with other social media advices, if you want, of course, and maybe also a logo, but the rest is up to you, at least for now.

@SapioiT

Please explain me the following:

Why is a relatively old and meaningless game like Counter Strike so successful?

Maybe because you do not need imagination, do not have to think? Just A versus B, pointless bouncing and shooting ........ this is the recipe for success?

I do not think the game or the servers have a problem, I think the players have a fundamental problem .......... they are brainless and without imagination.

Write your own story and live it in the game, and things will change for you.

The players already have a problem with losing something, and that's the point! In case of a failure, frustration starts immediately, because you want to win. In a game where there is no "Boss" somwhere in the "End" this isthe incorrect imagine!

The route is the goal! When you have other ideas, then Epoch is the wrong game. And in my opinion, 80% of the players are in the wrong game.

7 hours ago, Anhor said:

@SapioiT

Please explain me the following:

Why is a relatively old and meaningless game like Counter Strike so successful?

Maybe because you do not need imagination, do not have to think? Just A versus B, pointless bouncing and shooting ........ this is the recipe for success?

I do not think the game or the servers have a problem, I think the players have a fundamental problem .......... they are brainless and without imagination.

Write your own story and live it in the game, and things will change for you.

The players already have a problem with losing something, and that's the point! In case of a failure, frustration starts immediately, because you want to win. In a game where there is no "Boss" somwhere in the "End" this isthe incorrect imagine!

The route is the goal! When you have other ideas, then Epoch is the wrong game. And in my opinion, 80% of the players are in the wrong game.

This is well said, but I think there is a new problem. Most of the imaginative survival players have moved on to DayZ standalone or even Miscreated. As frustrating as the slow development of standalone has been, supposedly the .63 patch will put the game in beta and introduce the full version of the new engine. If the hype is correct, there will be no returning of players to DayZ mod and in fact, many more might leave. This is probably Bohemia Interactive's goal anyway.

5 hours ago, JasonTM said:

This is well said, but I think there is a new problem. Most of the imaginative survival players have moved on to DayZ standalone or even Miscreated. As frustrating as the slow development of standalone has been, supposedly the .63 patch will put the game in beta and introduce the full version of the new engine. If the hype is correct, there will be no returning of players to DayZ mod and in fact, many more might leave. This is probably Bohemia Interactive's goal anyway.

Well ...... I came from the SA. Bought it in december 2013, played more than 4000 hours ........ and change to Epoch.

Whatever Bohemia promises, I believe it only when it is time.

So far, I think the developer team around the SA is rather incapable ......... at least so far.

21 hours ago, Anhor said:

Well ...... I came from the SA. Bought it in december 2013, played more than 4000 hours ........ and change to Epoch.

Whatever Bohemia promises, I believe it only when it is time.

So far, I think the developer team around the SA is rather incapable ......... at least so far.

Well, a part of that team DID come from the dayz and epoch modders, and that might have been one of the reasons. Add to that the endless hype, that does not bring anything very bad, aside endlessly delaying things, and you've got the recipe for the success of the standalone.

I think the biggest problem of DayZ Standalone is the licensing for the Intelectual Property that is DayZ, and contracts with unfair/improper terms...

At this point, it looks like developing another game altogether that would address the same base concept in a slightly different manner would be the best way to get the right type of players engaged.