ArmA 2 Epoch 1.0.6.1

icomrade

I think this really just comes down to gross misuse of an interim period which we offered 1.0.5.1 for download on DZLauncher, unfortunately it's crunch time and nobody is  prepared, that's not the mod team's fault. 

I don't think anyone is complaining on updating to 1061 i think it more the fact there only been giving a day to do so...hell most hosting sites don't have the option for 1061 yet let alone people having time to update there mods... i think most are panicking due to that fact if you don't have a VPS or dedicated server and are stuck with hosts.. You have to wait on your host to update not to mention fact that most hosts don't give much wiggle room to these people to update that stuff themselves... I was stuck in this position myself cause gtx while they have the 1061 for standard epoch they don't have overwatch added yet.. Cant add it myself cause they do not allow you to change the order of the mod list ie putting overwatch first in the list which causes the server not to load...

Now me i am not to bothered cause i now running it from my own dedicated server but for others that not really a option for them so giving them extra time would kinda be nice rather than putting them in panic mode... and no im not complaining this is anyway or shape your guys fault i am just stating why people want more time.

How can you say people wont mind the change when every top server runs 1.5? My entire group has tried 1.6 servers and its complete trash. I do think there should be more time before its dropped from Dayz launcher. None of the 1.6 servers are popular. The remaining A2 players do not like 1.6. 

15 minutes ago, NERP said:

How can you say people wont mind the change when every top server runs 1.5? My entire group has tried 1.6 servers and its complete trash. I do think there should be more time before its dropped from Dayz launcher. None of the 1.6 servers are popular. The remaining A2 players do not like 1.6. 

The devs have put a MASSIVE amount of time into this mod for FREE. Calling it trash is rather insulting.

We tested what we could with what we had, not many admins ran test servers so some bugs/fps issues were not noticed till we released.

Honestly, if I throw a lot of time into this update, I can get it done in two weeks. I would just like to know if the devs would be willing to hold off the Launcher thing for those two weeks originally planned. Nobody is upset with the update in itself, just the instantaneous forced update. I have lots of more custom stuff that I need to carry over, not just the base addons. Again, I appreciate the work of the team, I am not angry with you guys at all, just the time crunch.

this is you assuming its just some tweaks and the server, we, the communities, have in mind, are done.

thats not the case. we do this in our freetime. for us this is not a job.

maybe the easypoch highloot servers are done in a minute. not so the custom survival server which put heart into their servers.

I can only plea to you that you reconsider rushing things.

for you it was 3 month, for me it was more like: lets see how 106 feels and looks.

Just now, BigEgg said:

Honestly, if I throw a lot of time into this update, I can get it done in two weeks. I would just like to know if the devs would be willing to hold off the Launcher thing for those two weeks originally planned. Nobody is upset with the update in itself, just the instantaneous forced update. I have lots of more custom stuff that I need to carry over, not just the base addons. Again, I appreciate the work of the team, I am not angry with you guys at all, just the time crunch.

I had my 1.0.5.1 server converted in a few days to the "core mods" that I needed, it took me weeks to get everything back to 100% while mod authors/community authors updated things.

I ran my server during this time and players understood that things were going to be a rolling update, they didn't care.

Why does your server need to be 100% straight off the bat?

10 minutes ago, salival said:

I had my 1.0.5.1 server converted in a few days to the "core mods" that I needed, it took me weeks to get everything back to 100% while mod authors/community authors updated things.

I ran my server during this time and players understood that things were going to be a rolling update, they didn't care.

Even if this question were somehow valid, are you suggesting I update even all the core mods in a single day? Even you had to take a 'few days' to update the core mods. I don't have days to sit down and just code like I use to. I am not asking something outrageous, just for more than a day's time to do a forced update. If that is too much to ask then idk what else to say than this is completely pointless to begin with.

1 minute ago, BigEgg said:

Even if this question were somehow valid, are you suggesting I update even all the core mods in a single day? Even you had to take a 'few days' to update the core mods. I don't have days to sit down and just code like I use to. I am not asking something outrageous, just for more than a day's time to do a forced update. If that is too much to ask then idk what else to say than this is completely pointless to begin with.

Well, you've spent a few hours arguing so far that would have gotten a few mods done.

5 minutes ago, salival said:

The less hiccups at release time its the best. Last thing i need is players complaining about a specific script that we HAD, and no longer have because of the update. I highly disagree with nerp, just a FYI.  The 106 is far from trash. And i agree that the devs put heart and soul into 1061 for free.  that is not the issue here. its not that the Server owner veterans dont want to update. its the time frame given to do so.

Just as @stirrific pointed out, and its something i havnt even thought about myself till i read his post. Anyone on a GSP will be in a even worst position.  

Being a server owner, creating a community is almost like having a brand. The players expect a certain thing. When @BigEgg and @seelenapparat decide to update, its a brand they must carry over. Same as me. There are lots of custom stuff, that is not part of the default epoch. Which i wont argue about. But its what creates that "brand".

As for you salival, you have spent lots of your time making it much easier for owners to convert over and i appreciate that very much. But dont forget that your server and everyone elses servers are not identical. Converting yours, might of gone easier, specially since you have the knowledge for it.

As for me, the knowledge is not soo good lol.. Perfect example is getting the virtual garage working... this is a major mod on our community (Able to transfer vehicles from tavi to cherno).  and ive spent coutless hours trying to get it working. when someone with knowledge would spend minutes...

I still vote for holding off of the removal of 1051 for longer than 2 weeks. It doesnt seem productive to do so, in fact, its counter productive. I feel instead of it being a good thing the force update, it will turn out worst.

lets not do like bohemia and force players to arma 3 with their "only allowed to monetize a3 servers" rule.

Duke

You guys act like just because it won't be on DayZ Launcher your server will disappear. You know there is an in-game browser in Arma. Or you could do like so many in either create a launcher or use a bat file to connect.  Back in the day everybody was bitchin about not getting an update sooner. Now that you got a great update you are still bitching. Alot of the work has been done for you already. The guys did a bunch of work in their free time to bring Epoch up to the latest dayz code and implement new features and bug fixes. And calling it 106 "trash", what a fucking moron.

Just now, RC_Robio said:

You guys act like just because it won't be on DayZ Launcher your server will disappear. You know there is an in-game browser in Arma. Or you could do like so many in either create a launcher or use a bat file to connect.  Back in the day everybody was bitchin about not getting an update sooner. Now that you got a great update you are still bitching. Alot of the work has been done for you already. The guys did a bunch of work in their free time to bring Epoch up to the latest dayz code and implement new features and bug fixes. And calling it 106 "trash", what a fucking moron.

yes that one person is a moron... the people asking to have it stay on launcher a bit longer are not being ignorant about it.

yes players can still connect with arma 2 ingame and bat files. But most use the launcher... aside from having to recode the servers, i dont want to get every player that joins my server to have to explain to every single one of them how to get on the server once the 1051 is removed from the launcher. that adds more work lol...

Please dont let one idiots comment distract you from the opinions of the community. We are merely  just discussing the early removal of the 1051 version...

no i dont agree with pushing for updates, specially when the devs work for free for this great community. But this is not a discussion about the that fact (which i do believe you), it is about the removal of the 1051 from launcher. 

1 minute ago, theduke said:

yes that one person is a moron... the people asking to have it stay on launcher a bit longer are not being ignorant about it.

yes players can still connect with arma 2 ingame and bat files. But most use the launcher... aside from having to recode the servers, i dont want to get every player that joins my server to have to explain to every single one of them how to get on the server once the 1051 is removed from the launcher. that adds more work lol...

Please dont let one idiots comment distract you from the opinions of the community. We are merely  just discussing the early removal of the 1051 version...

no i dont agree with pushing for updates, specially when the devs work for free for this great community. But this is not a discussion about the that fact (which i do believe you), it is about the removal of the 1051 from launcher. 

As was said earliar, the dev team asked for 2 weeks grace before removing from dayz launcher, maca (owner of dayz launcher) pushed that to 24 hours instead, so it's not really our fault

Just now, salival said:

As was said earliar, the dev team asked for 2 weeks grace before removing from dayz launcher, maca (owner of dayz launcher) pushed that to 24 hours instead, so it's not really our fault

so its 24 hours now? not even 2 weeks? lol

Just now, BigEgg said:

Yup

oh wow... well... it seems i might need to listen to the gf...

She told me last night, "this might be a sign for you to call it quits after 2 years"

She might be right...

ill see where this takes us... very sad to destroy a community like this honestly... but maca..like he cares about epoch...

11 minutes ago, RC_Robio said:

Completely missed the point here - nobody is dogging the update itself - they are (I am) irritated with the immediate removal of the mod from the one thing everyone uses to launch into my server as well as all other servers.

2 minutes ago, theduke said:

oh wow... well... it seems i might need to listen to the gf...

She told me last night, "this might be a sign for you to call it quits after 2 years"

She might be right...

ill see where this takes us... very sad to destroy a community like this honestly... but maca..like he cares about epoch...

In the next 24 hours, I will be updating DayZ Epoch for the latest version (1.0.6.1) and remove ALL previous versions.

So, @DayZ_Epoch will become version 1.0.6.1, @DayZ_Epoch106 is being removed.

Just now, RC_Robio said:

Considering how long 106 has been out. Server admins had plenty of time(months) to start the migration to 106. As with every release before you should have known this would happen eventually and the old version would be pulled. I just don't see how this is such a surprise to everyone.

keyword, 106. not 1061. 106 was not stable in the beginning and most didnt bother till the 1061 was out... with limited time in the first place, last thing i wanted was to recode for 106, then have to redo it for 1061. yes im sure it might of been easy peasy, but only for some...

Just now, theduke said:

keyword, 106. not 1061. 106 was not stable in the beginning and most didnt bother till the 1061 was out... with limited time in the first place, last thing i wanted was to recode for 106, then have to redo it for 1061. yes im sure it might of been easy peasy, but only for some...

106 was stable, there were a small fixes comming up from time to time which could be easy implemented, beside of that i have no idea what you imagine to call 106 unstable, used it from 2 days after it was out, all was fine.

but as of now, this discussion is invalid...or not worth it. because the decision is out of epochs hands. And theres nothing we can do but ride the storm...a bad one too... pfft with the donations the community gets..going to get flooded with "did your server shut down" "why cant i see it in launcher", "donate to a community and they close" <and probly never even check

Took me 2 hours to go to 1.0.6 > 1.0.6.1 and most of that was battleye filters.

I'm going to stop arguing about the changeover, I think it's all been said now, I'm sorry you guys feel like we have let you down but we only want the best for this community.

I'm always available on discord (@oiad) or in here via pms for help regarding changing over.

I would really recommend you set up a blank 1.0.6.1 server, have a look at it and see what your most needed mods are and work from there.

1 minute ago, LunatikCH said:

106 was stable, there were a small fixes comming up from time to time which could be easy implemented, beside of that i have no idea what you imagine to call 106 unstable, used it from 2 days after it was out, all was fine.

When devs say we are posting updates to the github daily, to me thats not stable or not ready might be a better choice of words.. Things changed on a daily basis. to me, there was no point in trying to convert my scripts over, incase the last update had other changes... and if those changes broke my server, i would not know where to begin to look.... thats why i waited. and thought ill start fresh with a 1061 version... When 106 was released, i did have a hard time getting the server up for weeks...finally got it, then tried scripts. wasnt going so good, then i seem a pending update for 1061... and i thought well im going to wait for that and ill KNOW i wont have to fight with it...

I cant see how someone cannot see the logic in that tbh

Just now, theduke said:

It was plenty stable enough to have a test server running during that time. And going from 106 to 1061 was really easy except for a localhost snafu I missed. "and most didn't bother"  that's their fault. And because you have limited time is not the devs fault. And if this change is going to make your community die then it wasn't much of a community to begin with.

5 minutes ago, RC_Robio said:

It was plenty stable enough to have a test server running during that time. And going from 106 to 1061 was really easy except for a localhost snafu I missed. "and most didn't bother"  that's their fault. And because you have limited time is not the devs fault. And if this change is going to make your community die then it wasn't much of a community to begin with.

LOL just LOL...and this person is a moderator...

odd that you can still find many origins versions still in launcher...

what was a discussion about the early removal of the 1051 version, turned into a flat out insult to server owners, even from a moderator...