Strange server fps/affinity behaviour

lwbuk

Been noticing some stramge things which I cant explain. Currently I have the server running on 2 cores, hyperthreading is off. Its a 4.0ghz processor. It runs about 15% on each core with 15 players on, but server fps drops to between 5-9.

If I change the affinity on the fly to just one core, the core runs at 100% but the server fps instantly increases to 25-30.

Can anyone explain this, I dont really understand this whole aspect of the server and would like to know more about it.

Thats because of intel turbo boost technology, i guess you have an 4790K which can go up to 4.4GHz.

If the CPU is used on multiple cores it will never go up to 4.4 but if only one core is well used that core recives most likely full 4.4GHz clock.

And what we know from arma every MHz more or less matters :P

But jesus 15 players on and 5-9 fps? do you have like 20K buildings?

i had 35 players online today and server FPS && CPS was stable at 15 - 16.5 livetime monitored trough ASM

13 hours ago, LunatikCH said:

Thats because of intel turbo boost technology, i guess you have an 4790K which can go up to 4.4GHz.

If the CPU is used on multiple cores it will never go up to 4.4 but if only one core is well used that core recives most likely full 4.4GHz clock.

And what we know from arma every MHz more or less matters :P

But jesus 15 players on and 5-9 fps? do you have like 20K buildings?

i had 35 players online today and server FPS && CPS was stable at 15 - 16.5 livetime monitored trough ASM

Brand new database, about 6 building parts and about 200 vehicles.  FPS with single core was great, just 2 cores its drops out of its arse. Yes its a 4790k. I dont mind leaving it on one core, but I'm concerned if its running at 100% with 15 people on and a clean database, what will happen if we get more people and they start building. Surely the whole computer could grind to a halt.

Arma 2 OA only uses one core - hence why you get better performance on one than when you force it to use multiple. While these things may help slightly, the end result is you will get better performance off the single core, which is why having a higher per core performance makes the server run better. 

My priority is set to Realtime, but Ive noticed when working on the server whilst the game is running, it can lag a bit. Im not sure if this is due to my crappy internet and remote connection, or the fact all the resources of the server are being prioritised on the gameserver. I might try high and see what difference it makes.

I shall also try starting on one core and see what happens. Im just worried about it crashing and burning if the core maxes out completely.

Surely all the big servers dont run just off one core? Mine run at almost 100% just with 15 people on, how do the servers with 100 people manage?

My processor is running at 4gz and you cant get much faster in a single core from what I can gather

• 4 weeks later...