"REAL" Epoch experience

LSxD

What happened to this great game?

I remember glorious times, times when Epoch wa a real survival game. Needed several players and plenty hours of playtime to build a small base. (v 0.2x was great!) Today everything goes to hell I'm looking for some adequate server:

- as much vanilla as possible

- no stupid rules or no rules at all

- everything destructable

- vehicle locktime not more than 2 hours

- nothing that makes the game easier than it should be (Blackmarket traders, virtual garages, base cams, indestructable bases and all that bullsh*t)

If possible mods that make the game experience even harder:

roaming AI

hard missions

Ryan's Zombies and Demons

Nowadays all I can find are pussymode like servers with indesteructable bases and no fun at all.

Please don't let Epoch starve by giving bad players a chance to survive...

Guess that as a sandbox mod Epoch allows server owners to provide what their community (or they themselves want).

That said, the EpochZ: Black Tide and EpochZ: Tanoa servers provide some of what you want:

- lots of Zombies (mostly in towns and villages) - though no standard ARMA3/Epoch adversaries

- militarized server, with roaming AI and hard missions

- Few rules other than no combat in or around safe zones "There are NO safe zones other than the marked safe zones"

- No virtual garages, base cams or most other things

We do have Black Market Traders though, and 48-hour vehicle locks (people have lives that can impose). Also some base parts are indestructible (cinder walls, metal floors, HESCOs) but doors and jammers are not.

If you want to try it out feel free. Plenty of good servers out there to choose from. Experiment and find the one that suits you and your style of play.

Agree 100 percent with OP. There are simply no vanilla servers left. Those that are are always empty, not even admins playing. Black market sucks, vehicle locks for longer than hour suck too (unless they are in base for example so the jammer can "protect" them longer). AI suck too, since it is worse than playing against cheaters and I always preffered real people instead of bots trying to kill me. Epoch is not PVE. And most servers have sappers and/or drones disabled...

Oh and the rules...Take for example Todessestern Server rules, not gonna mention (all of it), but they have the most retarded rules I have ever seen on PVP server. Still played there for a while because it was the only populated server without BM bullshit traders and helpful admins who also did not interfere with other people playing. But rules made me rethink it and stop playing Epoch at all.

And to be honest, there is nothing that can save this mod except people who could change their mentality from "easy game" into "survival". And that does not mean roaming AI or zombies, but actual scarcity of things, no safezones, no indestructable base parts, no 7 day vehicle locks etc. But that's not happening. While there is nothing wrong with developers, there are 99 problems with people creating shitty servers.

UKGZ ran two servers for most of this year. 

Altis server had all the features bemoaned about here.

Napf and latterly Tanoa would have been exactly what OP was looking for.

First server was always populated 30-50; second was just us admins and close supporters playing, so 6 at most.

It seems there are not enough serious survivalists wanting to play to pop a  server.

I would say also that the arrival of other supposed survival mod who put guns on ground in every house, set the tone for how Epoch server hosts had to manage and config their servers to compete for players.

Yeah Edict mod :D wanna try it but downloading all the stupid mods so that I could play it would take me a WEEK literally. And Chernarus is boring.

Actually I was considering Exile for a while but then remembered their idiotic UI and other stuff that annoyed me, decided not to. I guess my problem is what people hosting servers do: they change stuff too much from intentional (aka survivalist) game. For instance, one of the most noticeable features of Epoch to me always been sappers, yet I can hardly find any server with sappers in it. All disabled.

With a3launcher, I see one server with the word "vanilla" in it's name running Epoch. Why not join that server and see if it's what you are looking for. Maybe you can find out who the community owner is and help get the server off the ground. It's not on Gametracker so I don't know how busy the server is during the peak gaming hours.