How healthy is Dayz/Epoch lately?

gopostal

Some years back I ran a couple of popular servers (Legion owns Napf) trying to create a decently immersive storyline for players. Had to deal with fucking cancer and so I shut everything down to address that. At the time I was decently versed in coding for the mod (I posted the WAI sample mission as well as a bunch of my custom stuff) and I was really sad to have to quit.

Fast forward a bit and now I'm spending a lot of time forced to chill in front of a computer because of the cancer. I was thinking of diving back into Arma code and server admin and starting up the Legion server again. I've been scanning the forums but I have a couple of simple questions for any admins who are reading and have time to answer:

- Is cheating/duping/crashing still an issue? It got really bad there for a while, I even added a whitelist to my main server IIRC because it got tiresome to deal with.

- Are there enough quality players still around? I don't mind PvP hunter/killers as long as there is a scattering of basebuilders and hero players too.

I'm thinking of reopening my server on New Years to give me time to get back up to speed on the mod and changes since I was last active. Thanks for reading.

I've been playing since Aug 2012, I just got into hosting a couple months ago, started with a hosted gtx overpoch server, learned where everything was, then made/modded and started hosting my own overpoch server from the san at my work - Now I've moved to epoch 1.0.6 and am in the process of getting all the mods I want working -  I run a pvp server but I keep missions running, I find I get a balance of heroes and bandits, pretty even. There's no shortage of players who prefer arma2/mods over arma3 so there's still life in epoch for sure - and now that 1.0.6 has dropped I think we're about to see a new renaissance of players and mod creators like we haven't seen in the last couple years.

There's still a lot that can be done with the game and mod, as the word gets out that there's a new epoch version after two years - it's going to bring tons of players back to check out the new build - Lots of players log in and mention it's been "years" or "months" and they just had an itch to play - gonna see a lot more of that soon. Oh and hackers and dupers will always be around if there's a way to do it, not as many as we saw in 2013/2014, but bored kids find ways - so far they're having trouble with 1.0.6, where on 1.0.5.1 I'd have about 3-5 hackers a week, Now zero, so I'm enjoying that while it lasts before someone starts making tools for 1.0.6.

So TLDR - if you have the means to keep a server up - if you host it, they will come.

just back to epoch after too long a break

(admins started wrecking servers in late 2014 with "slow zombies") so thats kinda gutting.  Admins stop wrecking the game pls.

Asides from that 2014 admin-wrecking-virus infecting the minds of admins issue the game is still alive and well sick