New to Epoch so bear with me

Kixo

Hey guys!
I've been watching alot of epoch gameplays lately, i love the game and im looking forward on buying Arma 3 in next few days and installing epoch mod.

I have few questions tho.

Do all zombies explode or those are just the ones without arms?

Which are threats in epoch mod? So far i've seen dogs, zombies, players and sharks, is that all?

How would you rate pvp combat 1-10?

Are there any maps i should download or anything additional?

This mod is free? I just need to download zip file and extract it and play?

Whats the radius of exploding zombies kill? How close they have to be to kill you?

Sorry because of my noob questions but im trying to learn more about the mode because im really interested in it.
Thanks for answers in advance and im hoping i can get ingame as soon as possible! Cheers!

Hey, be welcome!

Epoch is not the easiest mod to learn and understand.

Each Server has different settings, weapons, Vehicles and Mods.

The most bigger Epoch Server are hard PvP. Some with Zombies, some without then. Every Zombie can explode. There are "Sapper" and "Sapper B". Sapper B has a bigger Explosion. The range? Run!!!

The animals, you can kill and eat.

I think the best is to try it by yourself and ask other player and / or Admins ingame.

I think the Apex addon is not really needed, if you not plan to play on the Tanoa Map. Most Server run on Altis.

I wish you a lot of fun!

Cool! Thanks for the info. Ik best way of getting to know game/mod is to try it yourself but i wanted to hype up even more because i absolutely love it. I played DayZ Standalone but lack of updates there just makes it dull.

Just one more question, there is no difference buying on steam/g2a? I can put epoch on whichever site i buy Arma from?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Kixo said:

Cool! Thanks for the info. Ik best way of getting to know game/mod is to try it yourself but i wanted to hype up even more because i absolutely love it. I played DayZ Standalone but lack of updates there just makes it dull.

Just one more question, there is no difference buying on steam/g2a? I can put epoch on whichever site i buy Arma from?

Thanks!

Obviously money always makes a difference in making a purchase but be aware that by buying from re-sellers like g2a can mean you are lining the pockets of scammers who use fraudulent purchases from legitimate sites to make money on sites like g2a. They use stolen credit cards to purchase keys and then get hard cash by selling it on. You could also end up with a key that becomes invalid if the publisher wishes to chase down such fraudulent activity.

Buy from steam or BI direct and know where your money is going and end up with a trouble free genuine purchase.

1 hour ago, TheStainlessSteelRat said:

Obviously money always makes a difference in making a purchase but be aware that by buying from re-sellers like g2a can mean you are lining the pockets of scammers who use fraudulent purchases from legitimate sites to make money on sites like g2a. They use stolen credit cards to purchase keys and then get hard cash by selling it on. You could also end up with a key that becomes invalid if the publisher wishes to chase down such fraudulent activity.

Buy from steam or BI direct and know where your money is going and end up with a trouble free genuine purchase.

Bought it on steam last night and spent good 4 hours modding it.

I realized there aren't many servers to play on because most servers use multiple mods.

The servers i joined were 3 players total and no zombies and i had commands put on my spacebar button which gets annoying because when i want to open the door it shows that command(craft) and open the door.

For sure the extensive command lists and key binds is probably the most frustrating part of Arma 3 experience for some.

Fortunately I had no preconceived ideas of what is better practice for key binds so have learnt to make default bindings work for me with a few exceptions, i have bound all talking channels except side to their own separate key binds, that way i can never accidentally use voice in side chat.

Best of luck in exploring Arma and welcome to Epoch.

On 9/15/2016 at 9:45 PM, Kixo said:

Hey guys!
I've been watching alot of epoch gameplays lately, i love the game and im looking forward on buying Arma 3 in next few days and installing epoch mod.

I have few questions tho.

Do all zombies explode or those are just the ones without arms?

Which are threats in epoch mod? So far i've seen dogs, zombies, players and sharks, is that all?

How would you rate pvp combat 1-10?

Are there any maps i should download or anything additional?

This mod is free? I just need to download zip file and extract it and play?

Whats the radius of exploding zombies kill? How close they have to be to kill you?

Sorry because of my noob questions but im trying to learn more about the mode because im really interested in it.
Thanks for answers in advance and im hoping i can get ingame as soon as possible! Cheers!

All zombies (sappers) explode when you get close to them (within 1 meter or so). Normal sapper explosion radius is very small and you can survive even direct explosion sometimes. What instantly kills you is sapper's head which flies away during explosion towards you. If it touches your character - you die.

There are another kind of sappers, boss sappers, which has an explosion equal or close to one satchel charge. It destroys buildings and vehicles (or damages them). Their explosion radius is pretty big, more than 10 meters I suppose,

Threats are only those sappers and drones which, when they spot you, call for 3 AI units armed with assault rifles. You can avoid that by killing drone first before it calls for AI backup. Sharks - never seen them over 3000 hours in Epoch. Dogs are just annoying to me.

PvP is dependent on the server. Higher population server - more pvp usually. Just like in all games.

You do not need to download any maps, Altis is default map which is included into Arma 3 game and Altis has most Epoch servers and most players.

Epoch mod is totally free. Just one file. Extract it into Arma 3 folder and then enable it through default Arma 3 launcher. Very straightforward.

Zombie radius are from up to 10 meters for normal sapper and more than 10 meters for boss sapper (these are just my guesses). Normal sappers are easy to avoid, boss sappers - you have to kill them first or they will chase you forever until you die. Killing any sapper require a lot of bullets unless you use .50 cal guns.

Just a notice, absolute majority of servers are not vanilla, most of them have disabled sappers and drones, so take any feature they have with a grain of salt. Some features are stupid (like black market traders), some are useful (like earplugs etc.) and they are not part of default Epoch mod but included into the mission file you download when you join any server.

22 hours ago, Kixo said:

Thanks!

if you played SA, then you will know how bad zombies there are. Epoch mod zombies are way more dangerous in comparison. However these two games are very different in a playstyle. But PvP ascpect is much much better in Epoch (arma 3 in general) than in SA since you can actually hold your breath, take a clean shot, rest weapon on any surface almost, use billions and billions of scopes and guns. :D ok not billions, but a lot.

57 minutes ago, KPABATOK said:

if you played SA, then you will know how bad zombies there are. Epoch mod zombies are way more dangerous in comparison. However these two games are very different in a playstyle. But PvP ascpect is much much better in Epoch (arma 3 in general) than in SA since you can actually hold your breath, take a clean shot, rest weapon on any surface almost, use billions and billions of scopes and guns. :D ok not billions, but a lot.

Thanks everyone for answers!

I've played on server today

named Black Tide, it was posted on forum here so i decided to check it out and i was not disappointed. 2 guys ingame were very helpful and answered my questions and they were very friendly too so i learned a bit more about the mod. 

Night was pretty scary and it was raining and thundering aswell so it was pretty scary. 

What do you guys do when its night time? I was just sitting under a road lamp and waited for day, but i didn't see the light of the day because there was server restart and i went offline. I realized it's really dark at night. It's not like in DayZ. In DayZ you can see clearly in the night but this was impossible.

All together i really liked it and zombies were a challenge because after playing DayZ and coming here this is big deal. 

Looking forward to play on the server tomorrow aswell!

Again, most servers have night time have disabled, so you were lucky to experience it in your first play. Servers usually restart every 3-4 hours, sometimes every 6 hours. Some servers have real time cycle, as in, after server restart time does not reset and continues, so you get 12 hours of day and 12 of night (ideally of course). But I saw only one server like this. It does not work well in video games, better time acceleration or limited time for day and night (like 3 hours day and 1 night etc.) for me personally.

I guess it was very dark because the server has colour correction script/mod which increase saturation and of course, darkness of night. Default Arma 3 colours are way better and realistic and even though night is dark, but you can see a little bit in front of you and you rarely need a flashlight or anything. Just a comment, not sure what scripts Black Tide has. My first time in Epoch was amazing experience too, will never forget it. I even got a few kills first time I joined a server.

Sorry missed this thread. Thanks again @Kixo appreciate the kind words.

Both EpochZ servers are 3 hours day, one hour night, no vote day but I have the default Epoch night light.

Also, our zombies are not the normal Epoch adversaries. I use a different mechanism to handle infected populations on the map because I have a different time line than Epoch's (mine is based on John Ringo's Black Tide Rising books). Both systems, mine and Epoch's are good and players should try both for the full experience.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:15 PM, Kixo said:

What do you guys do when its night time

With no access to nvg and no base yet it can be daunting to venture far, in Epoch at night. Not sure if EpochZ has the 'Cultist' enabled, but they still give me nightmares! 

Try hitting a couple of military areas in the hope of looting nvg and always check traders you come across you never know what some other survivor sold.

With a fixed night time on server a base helps to feel some safety. Build a fireplace and go over your inventory to plan for next day, what to trade and what you need to find to extend base or just stay alive another day.

Remember fear of the dark is rational when you know there are antagonists lurking in it!