Best dedicated server specs to host?

Hoplox

Hey, just something I've been wondering for a while, what would be the best specs to host ARMA 2 servers on? Currently i'm hosting on OVH MC-32 with the current specs:

Spoiler
  • I7-4790k 4.3Ghz
  • 32GB RAM
  • 2 x 240GB SSD
  • Windows 2012 R2 Server

We're currently looking to upgrade to a server with better specs but i'd like to ask everyone what specs are you running and what kind of performance are you getting? I've been told a few times using a normal home CPU such as our current one instead of a E3 / E5 server CPU is not recommended but I've also heard the higher the clock speed the better the performance depending on single core stats. What are you opinions?

Thanks.

On 8/9/2016 at 2:40 PM, Hoplox said:

Hey, just something I've been wondering for a while, what would be the best specs to host ARMA 2 servers on? Currently i'm hosting on OVH MC-32 with the current specs:

Hide contents
  • I7-4790k 4.3Ghz
  • 32GB RAM
  • 2 x 240GB SSD
  • Windows 2012 R2 Server

We're currently looking to upgrade to a server with better specs but i'd like to ask everyone what specs are you running and what kind of performance are you getting? I've been told a few times using a normal home CPU such as our current one instead of a E3 / E5 server CPU is not recommended but I've also heard the higher the clock speed the better the performance depending on single core stats. What are you opinions?

Thanks.

Using a normal CPU instead of a server CPU is not recommended for the simple fact that it will most likely fail sooner, but you are not the one buying the processor.

I run a exact setup you have, cept just one SSD.  The dedi isnt even fazed by it lol.  I have 3 arma 2 servers on this dedi.

The clock speed is what you want to look at. Mine runs at 4.3Ghz also.  In the long run, the E3/E5 would last longer VS performance.  But again you are not replacing it when it dies lol.

It really depends what you plan to run on that box., but the only thing i would upgrade if i was in your shoes would be the ram. Like mandy said, it will probly be your bottleneck depending on how many servers you run.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The higher the CPU on the list, the better for hosting an ArmA server.
Storage only affects the startup time of your server, make sure you have 8gb of ram or 4gb if your using linux, and tune your MySQL according to your specs.

Looking at your specs your CPU is the best one for hosting an ArmA server. Those specs should give you the best performance... try disabling hyper-threading too. Arma was only using 5-12% cpu at max with my server then i disabled hyperthreading and now it uses up to 40% cpu.

8 hours ago, Joshyy said:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The higher the CPU on the list, the better for hosting an ArmA server.
Storage only affects the startup time of your server, make sure you have 8gb of ram or 4gb if your using linux, and tune your MySQL according to your specs.

Looking at your specs your CPU is the best one for hosting an ArmA server. Those specs should give you the best performance... try disabling hyper-threading too. Arma was only using 5-12% cpu at max with my server then i disabled hyperthreading and now it uses up to 40% cpu.

Do OVH allow disabling hyper threading? How do i do it?

Submit a ticket, its very simple most hosts will allow it if you rent a dedicated server.
How many players does your server get at peak time each day? and what is your basic.cfg like, your basic.cfg can affect your server greatly.