[Terrain] Dystopia

raymix

Video:

Spoiler

Screenshots:

Hi folks

I've decided to finally publish preview of my terrain on forum. It has been roughly 1.5 years since I started on it. Terrain has gone through many major changes - from size to textures to complete redesign. Current shape has been revamped 3 times already, so this is where I'm settled at.

Specs:

270 sqkm - 16.4km x 16.4km

Heightmap - 4096x4096 (can't get 8192 to work)
Sat/mask/normal maps - 16384x16384

Tools:

World Machine - procedural terrain, satmap and normalmap
Grome - carving roads into terrain
Photoshop - mask editing

Current progress: Terrain, carved roads and textures only

Story:

I wanted a decently sized snow map in Arma but with a hint of green - best of both worlds. So it's not completely white making it too easy for me and it's not yet another summer map either, we have enough of those already.

Originally map was designed for Dominion Mod - started by Rimblock and myself about a year ago, idea is not gone as the map will be used to create Epoch Dominion Mode using Epoch as a framework instead.
Idea is similar to wasteland - 3 teams fighting for territories, as simple as that.
The map is heavily inspired by Namalsk and STALKER game and will keep their aesthetics as much as possible.

I'll keep editing this post if I come up with anything else to add, at work atm lol

Enjoy

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the positive vibe!

I wasn't streaming today (I usually do on Saturdays) because I was trying to learn how X-Cam works... anyway here are some screenshots to give you general idea of aesthetic:

http://imgur.com/a/BbI96

edit:

btw if you're curious where the inspiration comes, here are some links:

Edited by raymix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only thing from my experience with snow maps is you have to be careful with green, I started similar project but at much smaller scale and stopped, the mix of tropical green and snow looked really strange and with the feedback I was getting I wished I went for mix of dark trees and snowy trees, and rocks similar to that used on Namalsk! I might take another go at it especially with all the new objects Tanoa update brought, Last time I tired to install the tools it kept crashing on my computer for some reason!

19 hours ago, Aggro said:

The only thing from my experience with snow maps is you have to be careful with green, I started similar project but at much smaller scale and stopped, the mix of tropical green and snow looked really strange and with the feedback I was getting I wished I went for mix of dark trees and snowy trees, and rocks similar to that used on Namalsk! I might take another go at it especially with all the new objects Tanoa update brought, Last time I tired to install the tools it kept crashing on my computer for some reason!

Agreed, the screenshots were from xcam, so not part of TB layer yet. Think I might go slightly different direction. Was on Kiory's stream few days ago, he revealed to me how he did blizzard effect on Boreas map using configs only. I kinda had a hunch that he did it that way, but it just looked too realistic so I thought he uses particles instead. Will try to replicate when I'm back from holidays.

Might end up just using pinetrees, piceas, dirt and low grass like in Namalsk, we'll see.

one thing for sure - i am planning on using actual snow mesh for clutter (instead of grass or rocks), i've never seen anyone do it and it should add extra realism due to random bumpiness on terrain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...