Antagonist Avoidance

axeman

I have just witnessed probably my second or third 'real' sapper migration, as in one that I didn't spawn myself.

What I am curious about, and this will help make them antagonists even more sneaky, is how everyone deals with the antagonists ? I do have a slight advantage in avoiding an explosive death, considering I wrote his brain :)

Which ones are easy, which ones are a pain, who gives the biggest scares and, more importantly, your tactics for losing an antagonist once it is spawned.

Post your best tactics here..

Boss sapper: Lure him away from anything you don't want blown up, then either draw it into trip wire AP or bounding mine if you have one or take it out from long range as it will kill you if are closer.

Sapper migration: Seem's to have a direction of travel and stick to it, so i race ahead if i have time and take them out as they approach, best with LMG.

Cultist: Drop to a knee and Just go cyclic, the sooner its gone the better.

UAV: To save ammo, take your time and take single aimed shot within 100m. 

Red Sapper entice him to explode by running close past him, keep running to avoid blast radius.

Green Sapper anti personnel mines can work as above or i take a knee put some well placed shots if possible retreat and repeat until dead

Cultist yep exactly what was said above, although i do find aiming a slow walk back to avoid cultist effect is also helpful but can mean he blinks out on me if line of sight is lost.

Snakes are much harder to 'stamp on', kill since latest patch, have died once trying, running away is simplest.

The migration i find if i just run in different direction they leave you alone. Nests are another matter altogether, opening a building full of them is disastrous :wacko:

UAV shoot it down shoot it down now, panic starts to set in! Although once in a while if in a good defend-able position I will let the AI spawn and test myself.  (On dev server other day and uav spawned over safe zone at central on altis so i took to water as i had pistol with one mag only, I swam diving to avoid shots surfacing for air briefly as possible, until they had exhausted their ammo and then i emerged like a colossus from the sea to wreak my vengeance upon them).

23 hours ago, axeman said:

I have just witnessed probably my second or third 'real' sapper migration, as in one that I didn't spawn myself.

What I am curious about, and this will help make them antagonists even more sneaky, is how everyone deals with the antagonists ? I do have a slight advantage in avoiding an explosive death, considering I wrote his brain :)

Which ones are easy, which ones are a pain, who gives the biggest scares and, more importantly, your tactics for losing an antagonist once it is spawned.

Post your best tactics here..

relog

relog

relog

relog

:D yeah it's kinda "cheating the game" but sometimes when I have no gun and want to avoid it, I do relog

Otherwise, normal sappers are easy mode, I just run passed them and go prone after they detonate. With boss sappers I look for indestructible walls, buildings or rocks and only then detonate them avoiding death (crouching behind rock or wall etc.)

34 minutes ago, KPABATOK said:

relog

relog

relog

relog

:D yeah it's kinda "cheating the game" but sometimes when I have no gun and want to avoid it, I do relog

Otherwise, normal sappers are easy mode, I just run passed them and go prone after they detonate. With boss sappers I look for indestructible walls, buildings or rocks and only then detonate them avoiding death (crouching behind rock or wall etc.)

yeah, expect a wall/rock detection in the next version. they keep getting better as you keep giving all your tactics to the SKYNET PROGRAMMER!! :angry:

EZXBVkO.png

lol, love it mgm..

Do you find, when you relog, that you end up with something spawning on you fairly quickly ?

I do employ pretty much the same sapper tactics, latest update has increased their reaction speed, with server admin options to make them even faster :) That will probably allow them to blow up quicker.

I am experimenting with a 'dormant stage' for the sappers. It's similar to their loiter behaviour, the difference being they stand in one spot and only move to shuffle away from the player, unless you anger them too much. 

Is a large sapper nest spread out over a town, one that you find yourself in the midst of, from an aborted sapper migration.

The migrating sappers already have a form of communication in that if one of them spots you he will move toward your last known position and break the migration. Any other sappers that can see that 'migration breaker' will follow him. The rest will also continue on their course only if they can't see the migration breaker or can't smell the player.

Once any of them are in range and can smell you they will blow, as per their programmed behaviour, the poor experimented on sub humans..

Try hiding from a migration, but don't hide near a spot from where one of them might have already sensed you :)

12 hours ago, axeman said:

lol, love it mgm..

Do you find, when you relog, that you end up with something spawning on you fairly quickly ?

I do employ pretty much the same sapper tactics, latest update has increased their reaction speed, with server admin options to make them even faster :) That will probably allow them to blow up quicker.

when I relog, I am fine for at least 5 to 10 minutes until new antagonist spawns. So for instance, if I relog on Boss sapper, next time I log in I can get only Regular Sapper instead of Boss and deal with it easily. Still though I am curious why is it impossible to avoid sappers? It is possible to run away from them but then they spawn again after you stop or start looting in general (or maybe it is supposed to be like this). But I was interested in avoiding detection since someone said they can smell humans, but hiding from them never helped me. They just keep chasing me forever.

Last time i got blown out of the 6legged highcabin , a uber sapper found it needed to detonate close to 1 of the legs

Result cabin partially destroyed and the level  (was on 2e floor) was gone me falling to a certain death (hiding wasnt such a good idea)

Maybe i should avoided him by running and taking shots at his head (you must have a gun for that tho )

• 1 month later...

I'd rather just have them headbutt me to death, a slow painful death. Boom is an easy way out of the situation.

The "2" times I've seen them spawn in quantity, once they were trapped in a small house...boom...boom boom, problem solved.

The 2nd was more fun since I was already perched in a tower with plenty of ammo. :)

I'd delete it instantly ;)

The new custom zed code is geared more toward real world recognition, I try to avoid 'cheating' when crafting the antagonists brains.

For example, the sense of smell, this was started with the sapper, but now is refined and works on a configurable distance and uses wind direction.

The sapper is weighted by the targets position in some circumstances, this gives him an unrealistic awareness of your position.

At the time we were more concerned with keeping performance levels up over larger numbers of antagonists and wanted to keep the current antagonist 'active'.

We are about to add some more behaviour for the zeds, making use of the crouching and eating dead bodies and introducing faster zombies.

Am interested in feedback for the zed behaviour, have tried to make the current slow ones more dangerous in numbers and trying to allow some emergent behaviour based on more simple rules.

For the zeds, try hiding. Their sight is governed by a newer function in Arma. However they will smell you if the wind changes :)

Sapper- If have a weapon shoot it. If not, run. Run far away and go prone, I don't know how many times I've think I have been far enough away only to be killed by a flying sapper head.

Sapper nest- Hopefully I see it. But usually I end up running into the house or building they are nesting in. By that time it's to late. So I just accept the fact I will probably die. 

Cultist-  If I have a weapon, then of course I shoot it down fast. As you can not outrun it, I've tried to with vehicles...It will still find you eventually. Usually I just have to accept my death.  

Snakes- This is the one I hate the most. Run. Otherwise I enjoy my slow death if coldpacks or goldenseal is not available.

UAV's- Shoot them down if possible. If not, like above, I wait till the Ai run out of ammo. 

Phantoms- Not sure if I seen one. I have bad eyesight (beer goggles sometimes) Are they still in Epoch?

Sharks- Haven't had the pleasure of it's company.

As far as relogging to avoid antagonist....same as combat logging to me, so I avoid doing it.  And you guys that do should be ashamed of yourselves.  Bad, Bad, Bad. Your grounded!

3 hours ago, Robio said:

Phantoms- Not sure if I seen one. I have bad eyesight (beer goggles sometimes) Are they still in Epoch?

I have heard them for sure. Are we meant to 'see' them? I am not bothered by them as I have yet to have any negative affects from it being close. Other than freaking me out at night with no lights on and hearing footsteps upstairs in the base, I have been known to say hello in direct and carry on regardless!