Whats happened to EPOCH ??

sparrow8332

I didnt mean it as an insult, but if you compare to two currently and compare upcoming updates, exile has the better things :( pains me to say, I put in over 2000 hours in on arma2 Epoch, and would love to put more in A3, Just current state, I played nearly 500 hours of A3 Epoch, up until about 12 months ago, there just was not enough being done, and exile came out, and it offered what Epoch didnt, Tbh exile in a sense just copied what you guys did on A2, and put it into A3, thats what we wanted, The early builds of Epoch were greta but far between, look at most updates, they have more fixes, than things being added, My only hope is Epoch come out swinging once Dayz-SA releases 

22 hours ago, rvg?! said:

Wait..

Ok i am over it.

To say exile is "probably" the best, just reflects your own subjective opinion. And if i read your last 6 posts here on the forums i get confirmed by that. (Exile Merchandise Contract?)

Doesnt mean exile is bad, but as KPABATOK some time ago said:

And it is exactly what it is. A lot of players nowadays dont want any challenge e.g. looting and so on. If they cant build a base within 40 mins they are pretty much "pissed" and flame around what a shit mod it is and where the hell is the "autorun key"?!

Epoch is a survival mod. And hopefully it will stay like that!

The Epoch community has the problem (my opinion), that a lot of good scripters and knowledge left.

In Exile is a lot of stuff premade from the devs. So easy going with the mod for the serveradmins.

Anyway, enough good Epoch servers with decent admins and players out there.

It was actually good you said that, And my posts stand " What I mean is, everytime I look, there is like 2 servers that are full, then about 10 servers with less than 20 players, " I posted that comment, 9th December 2015, and it still stands :( 

44 minutes ago, IReeceI said:

It was actually good you said that, And my posts stand " What I mean is, everytime I look, there is like 2 servers that are full, then about 10 servers with less than 20 players, " I posted that comment, 9th December 2015, and it still stands :( 

40 or 50 empty Epoch servers or 980 empty Exile servers. Which is worse?

1 hour ago, IReeceI said:

I didnt mean it as an insult, but if you compare to two currently and compare upcoming updates, exile has the better things :( pains me to say, I put in over 2000 hours in on arma2 Epoch, and would love to put more in A3, Just current state, I played nearly 500 hours of A3 Epoch, up until about 12 months ago, there just was not enough being done, and exile came out, and it offered what Epoch didnt, Tbh exile in a sense just copied what you guys did on A2, and put it into A3, thats what we wanted, The early builds of Epoch were greta but far between, look at most updates, they have more fixes, than things being added, My only hope is Epoch come out swinging once Dayz-SA releases 

DayZ SA release his a myth. Not gonna happen in our lifetime. They're fixing 5 issues every 6 months.

A Certain Crass Group had called all their Epoch servers Overpoch by adding weapons packs and ground spawning loot and having Arma 2 style traders split into categories. Whilst this made finding loot to buy easier it is a pain in the butt selling to six different traders.

I use the Trader to sell my excess and sometimes buy a new vehicle if required; but I agree it can be a pain to search through a whole inventory at present, but i am honestly not doing that enough for it to be a nuisance. Yes would love to see Ammunition separate from other items and maybe a sell all from vehicle option available in future.

7 hours ago, IReeceI said:

Tbh exile in a sense just copied what you guys did on A2, and put it into A3, thats what we wanted,

This is exactly why i called it soulless, no imagination, no originality, no depth. I don't understand the need to play what has gone before, plenty of DayZ Epoch servers up and running to play on why tread the same old path when given the opportunity to do something different. I applaud the Epoch devs for making that choice and have enjoyed being here to watch it grow even if in fits and starts.

what happen to a3 epoch

my view

1- exile dropped ( boring when u no longer have to loot just buy buy n buy when most server offer a 10k player start plus a base kit too)

2 - the division dropped (its shiny buy it, no thx)

3 - dayz sa 0.60 has hit experimental (it may get to beta one day)

4 - BP, Exile, Desolation, Decimation, too many mods with a similar theme vying for a share of a limited player base, throw in a long development time frame... people get bored no matter how many server flavor's are out there

Of all the MP a3 mods, I prefer a3 epoch, its the most complete and i still enjoy playing. If its rinse'n repeat a3 epoch hands down for me

so thank you the mod and those whom gave us the scripts/addons too.

Edited by natoed
i can't spell for shit

9 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

40 or 50 empty Epoch servers or 980 empty Exile servers. Which is worse?

You answered it really, Why dont you go to servers with 30+ players, or even max players ?  I have probably seen 4 Epoch servers with 40+ players, when there is over 40 exile servers with max players, and countless 20+ player servers

47 minutes ago, natoed said:

what happen to a3 epoch

my view

1- exile dropped ( boring when u no longer have to loot just buy buy n buy when most server offer a 10k player start plus a base kit too)

2 - the division dropped (its shiny buy it, no thx)

3 - dayz sa 0.60 has hit experimental (it may get to beta one day)

4 - BP, Exile, Desolation, Decimation, too many mods with a similar theme vying for a share of a limited player base, throw in a long development time frame... people get bored no matter how many server flavor's are out there

Of all the MP a3 mods, I prefer a3 epoch, its the most complete and i still enjoy playing. If its rinse'n repeat a3 epoch hands down for me

so thank you the mod and those whom gave us the scripts/addons too.

Would not say Division, But Ark did drop which took alot of players,

9 hours ago, mgm said:

DayZ SA release his a myth. Not gonna happen in our lifetime. They're fixing 5 issues every 6 months.

Im guessing you dont actually follow the Dev-blogs, last few months they have actually been very active with fixes, o.60 is actually looking extremely good  

off-topic incoming!

3 hours ago, IReeceI said:

Im guessing you dont actually follow the Dev-blogs, last few months they have actually been very active with fixes, o.60 is actually looking extremely good  

quite the opposite, I am following. they fix 5 things and break 15. haven't seen this much incompetence in a public/popular project for a while.
they are adding irrelevant stuff as well, rather than focusing on what matters.
more than half of the people that quit DayZ SA is due to running running running forever holding down the W key. they still haven't added bicycles or working vehicles as of today in production branch.

vehicles were working 4 years ago in mod, does it really take 4 years to add solid/working bicycles and other vehicles.

just this weekend revisited DayZ SA and truck slided into the sea on seaside road (not to mention unable-to-repair-tires-with-repair-kit issue + vehicle got buried into the ground issue + unable to fix headlight issue + and a zillion other vehicle issues).

from 45K active players, it is down to 5-6K now. => http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

soon they will have zero active players before the throw the towel.

13 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

The one thing that I don't like about Epoch, and I've posted about this before, is the trader categories. There needs to be a better way to sort everything. I do like Exile's trader interface. It lets you display only items that are compatible with your current weapon, plus it shows stats (Weapon specs, backpack size, etc). If the traders could be revamped, that would be a big plus for Epoch. 

Epoch or Blackmarket trader? Havent played A2 so it would be nice if you could explain.

1 hour ago, rvg?! said:

Epoch or Blackmarket trader? Havent played A2 so it would be nice if you could explain.

I'm talking about A3 Epoch, not A2.

2 hours ago, IReeceI said:

You answered it really, Why dont you go to servers with 30+ players, or even max players ?  I have probably seen 4 Epoch servers with 40+ players, when there is over 40 exile servers with max players, and countless 20+ player servers

My point was there are a hell of a lot more empty Exile servers than Epoch servers. I really doubt there are "over 40 exile servers with max players, and countless 20+ player servers". If you look at the player stats they show on their forums, there's usually roughly an average of 2 players for each server, usually a little under 2000 players online at any time for the roughly 1000 Exile servers.

18 hours ago, IReeceI said:

once Dayz-SA releases 

Sorry to interrupt, but DayZ will never get released at the pace they are going now. If you are lucky, your grand children will see the Beta version of DayZ. On the other hand, one can have faith in Epoch still despite the fact that only a few developers are actively putting in content and fixing stuff, DayZ has their own company and it took them almost half a year to release a single patch! For an EA game! Don't compare it to DayZ :D it's lost, like tears in rain. I haven't played A3 for couple of months now, haven't played Epoch for about 3 months, just because I had some stuff to do in real life and sort my shit together. Also my PC broke, today I turn it on - it WORKS. Thank goodness it just needed some rest, I suppose, so will try out new Epoch 3.8 patch and maybe play for a while though right now I prefer just following development, very little time for gaming.

Kravatok in all caps - welcome back friend.

Raymix I'm glad you joined the team (I was away almost a year) and now back to actively developing (soon).

Expecting a shiny gui. Trader gui (as mentioned above) indeed can benefit from a nice useability overhaul.

In closing, I would like to reiterate hoverboard is the #1 feature Epoch urgently need; as agreed by 100% of users, this new feature will solve all our problems and everything gonna be great.

What pleases me the most is the fact that there gonna be even more antagonists, and even sort of neutral AI like Axeman said in his post. Will wait for that patiently for sure. I hope one day there will be no need for server owners to put in those terrible A3EAI in this mod with their wallhacks and other tricks :)

3 minutes ago, mgm said:

In closing, I would like to reiterate hoverboard is the #1 feature Epoch urgently need; as agreed by 100% of users, this new feature will solve all our problems and everything gonna be great.

NO! We need lightbulbs! 2 years devs! Come on!

P.S. was never gone, just went into lurk mode for the most part :D

Work started on Arma 3 Epoch in late 2013, and today there are now AAA game titles and other mods with odd and sometimes striking similarities to Epoch. If we had as much of an impact as it seems we did, I am glad to have had some effect regardless of how insignificant.

I think what most people don't realize, is just how much time it takes to make something new and creative as well as to support it. When the popularity of a mod increases so does the required workload as do expectations and hype. This often actually demands more time than is possible for any mere hobby. 

This is where the "Official Servers" thing came from. As I needed a way to deal with the ever growing workload by attempting to isolate a few communities I could more closely engage to find and fix issues faster. Given what happened it actually seemed to work against us.

More servers does not necessarily equal a healthy mod. Since we don't have a vested interest in the server counts it really makes no difference how many servers there are at any given time. EpochMod.com generates just about enough ad revenue to pay for the web hosting and all donations go towards supporting the project long term and other development costs are currently covered thanks to: (Vilayer, GTX, Survival Servers, and Nitrado) providing us with dedicated servers for free.

What is needed is, more players. Any game or mod needs a constant influx of new players to be considered healthy. With more and more work going into the project the hope is to attract more players from making the project better. Then when others think the time is right, we need their help to spread the word and by then hopefully the media will do an article about us (cough "PC Gamer"). 

I have been releasing mods since 2003, starting with Battlefield 1942 series and have spent almost 4 years developing mods for Arma 2 and 3. Over the years I have seen similar patterns repeat in regards to this topic with every game (yes even AAA titles) or mod that has ever been created. Some games or mods "hype train" don't even last two weeks and as they say, everything good must come to an end. I still think we have been a success considering we are just a mod for a game. 

Hopefully this post will help clear up some questions as this is starting to feel like ground hogs day. :smile:

3 hours ago, vbawol said:

Work started on Arma 3 Epoch in late 2013, and today there are now AAA game titles and other mods with odd and sometimes striking similarities to Epoch. If we had as much of an impact as it seems we did, I am glad to have had some effect regardless of how insignificant.

I think what most people don't realize, is just how much time it takes to make something new and creative as well as to support it. When the popularity of a mod increases so does the required workload as do expectations and hype. This often actually demands more time than is possible for any mere hobby. 

This is where the "Official Servers" thing came from. As I needed a way to deal with the ever growing workload by attempting to isolate a few communities I could more closely engage to find and fix issues faster. Given what happened it actually seemed to work against us.

More servers does not necessarily equal a healthy mod. Since we don't have a vested interest in the server counts it really makes no difference how many servers there are at any given time. EpochMod.com generates just about enough ad revenue to pay for the web hosting and all donations go towards supporting the project long term and other development costs are currently covered thanks to: (Vilayer, GTX, Survival Servers, and Nitrado) providing us with dedicated servers for free.

What is needed is, more players. Any game or mod needs a constant influx of new players to be considered healthy. With more and more work going into the project the hope is to attract more players from making the project better. Then when others think the time is right, we need their help to spread the word and by then hopefully the media will do an article about us (cough "PC Gamer"). 

I have been releasing mods since 2003, starting with Battlefield 1942 series and have spent almost 4 years developing mods for Arma 2 and 3. Over the years I have seen similar patterns repeat in regards to this topic with every game (yes even AAA titles) or mod that has ever been created. Some games or mods "hype train" don't even last two weeks and as they say, everything good must come to an end. I still think we have been a success considering we are just a mod for a game. 

Hopefully this post will help clear up some questions as this is starting to feel like ground hogs day. :smile:

Thank you LordAwol!!!! Right after axeman's comments on hoverboards in another thread today, here you suddenly dropped the official confirmation in basic crypto!! How can we ever thank you?

WzBmXfA.png

For non-believers here is the imgur link for the decrypted official message -- courtesy of HOVERBOARD SUPER PAC group.

KPABATOK - I told you hoverboards coming soon!

I no longer think this idea is even silly :D Epoch is based in future world, so working hover boards sounds like obvious choice. It could replace a bicycle like other mods have. Sort of spawning in every town one hover board for freshspawns to gear up and travel faster :D

3 minutes ago, KPABATOK said:

I no longer think this idea is even silly :D Epoch is based in future world, so working hover boards sounds like obvious choice. It could replace a bicycle like other mods have. Sort of spawning in every town one hover board for freshspawns to gear up and travel faster :D

welcome. hoverboards will take over the world. soon. axeman already coding it as we speak.

• 1 month later...

Wow you guys are still pushing for hoverboards? looooool  Well if you guys could actually pull that off in Arma, my hats off to you.

I myself haven't really been playing survival games at all.  I've been playing a ton of Battle Royale lately.  But I still jump back into Epoch every once in a while just to check out what's changed and how people are playing it.  While I had grown to hate zombies after playing a couple years of DayZ mod, I think supporting zombies is a wise decision.  Hopefully all goes well with that.  I think there will always be people playing Epoch, but traffic and hype has always fluctuated.  A lot has been going on within the last year or so, a lot of hype for other mods and games.  Epoch will always have a place in my heart and the work has obviously had an impact on the way others have been designing mods.  Keep up the good work.

Battle Royale is probably the Best Arma 3 mod and most survivalist of all :) I always liked the idea and PlayerUnknown managed to make it even more interesting. What I did not like was that he removed all original guns and imported shitty AK and pistols. Still though, it is too intense mod for my liking so I play only Epoch, can relax, do not care about anything and just chill somewhere on a hill sniping japanese! :D