Whats happened to EPOCH ??

sparrow8332

3 hours ago, sparrow8332 said:

Took a few months off to return to empty servers :-s whats happend to the mod ? :-(

After you disappeared, no one was ever quite the same. Sure, we tried to pretend that everything was ok, but after a while, the forced laughter and the uneasy silence was too much. People started taking their own lives. They sought out Sappers and began charging at them, hugging their armless bodies until they blew up into little pieces. After a while, almost everyone was gone. The world was never the same. Those who remained behind scavenged the world trying to survive, sometimes banding together but mostly wandering the wastelands alone. I don't even know what year it is anymore. God, I'm thirsty.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey ;)

BDTZ, I bloorted coffee over a smart lady on the train sitting opposite me thanks to you.

She wasn't even interested in looking at your post, as way of an explanation.

Panicky shoving of my phone in her face after spraying her with my morning drink nearly got me ejected in Luton.

Genius :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2016 at 4:08 AM, sparrow8332 said:

Took a few months off to return to empty servers :-s whats happend to the mod ? :-(

On 4/19/2016 at 7:18 AM, BetterDeadThanZed said:

After you disappeared, no one was ever quite the same. Sure, we tried to pretend that everything was ok, but after a while, the forced laughter and the uneasy silence was too much. People started taking their own lives. They sought out Sappers and began charging at them, hugging their armless bodies until they blew up into little pieces. After a while, almost everyone was gone. The world was never the same. Those who remained behind scavenged the world trying to survive, sometimes banding together but mostly wandering the wastelands alone. I don't even know what year it is anymore. God, I'm thirsty.

On 4/20/2016 at 7:13 PM, axeman said:

Slowly slowly catchy monkey ;)

BDTZ, I bloorted coffee over a smart lady on the train sitting opposite me thanks to you.

She wasn't even interested in looking at your post, as way of an explanation.

Panicky shoving of my phone in her face after spraying her with my morning drink nearly got me ejected in Luton.

Genius :)

thanks for the laugh BDTZ & axeman.

I'm in the same ship with sparrow (just installing arma 3 again now, for epoch). what's the latest - I can see some split between framework and "game mode". no idea about server populations but I noticed BDTZ decided to shutdown dedicated server (even though it's back now) I assume his server pop is down also? :(

axe or any other dev, could you please confirm you're still actively developing and no intention to retire the project? thanks.

1 minute ago, mgm said:

I'm in the same ship with sparrow (just installing arma 3 again now, for epoch). what's the latest - I can see some split between framework and "game mode". no idea about server populations but I noticed BDTZ decided to shutdown dedicated server (even though it's back now) I assume his server pop is down also? :(

I believe there's roughly 80 Epoch servers left. My server's pretty low pop. I switched back to the dedicated box because Survival Servers just didn't live up to my expectations. I'm paying more, but I've got players that are helping with donations so it's worth it. The only thing I don't like about Epoch right now is the trader system. It needs more development. It needs better sorting. Other than that, I'm having fun with "mostly vanilla" gameplay. :)

Just now, BetterDeadThanZed said:

I believe there's roughly 80 Epoch servers left. My server's pretty low pop. I switched back to the dedicated box because Survival Servers just didn't live up to my expectations. I'm paying more, but I've got players that are helping with donations so it's worth it. The only thing I don't like about Epoch right now is the trader system. It needs more development. It needs better sorting. Other than that, I'm having fun with "mostly vanilla" gameplay. :)

thanks for the quick response. I hope population on your server and mod's pop overall will rise again!

Its pretty much dead, hoping Epoch team come back once Dayz standalone releases fully, I keep searching Epoch servers, but there really is nothing :( Exile have taken the spot, And TBH rightly so, weekly updates and monthly adds, keeps players busy, If you find yourself wanting to play ArmA, Exile probably is best at this moment :( 

2 hours ago, IReeceI said:

If you find yourself wanting to play ArmA, Exile probably is best at this moment :( 

Wait..

Ok i am over it.

To say exile is "probably" the best, just reflects your own subjective opinion. And if i read your last 6 posts here on the forums i get confirmed by that. (Exile Merchandise Contract?)

Doesnt mean exile is bad, but as KPABATOK some time ago said:

On 21.2.2016 at 0:02 AM, KPABATOK said:

.... So 90 percent of a blame is on server owners/admins, not devs, in my opinion. Also some popular servers have even stamina disabled. And most of them have easy super markets where you can get gear 24/7 for cheap. Why even loot? Devs are hardly responsible for that. It's dumbed down gamer kids who want easy mode.

And it is exactly what it is. A lot of players nowadays dont want any challenge e.g. looting and so on. If they cant build a base within 40 mins they are pretty much "pissed" and flame around what a shit mod it is and where the hell is the "autorun key"?!

Epoch is a survival mod. And hopefully it will stay like that!

The Epoch community has the problem (my opinion), that a lot of good scripters and knowledge left.

In Exile is a lot of stuff premade from the devs. So easy going with the mod for the serveradmins.

Anyway, enough good Epoch servers with decent admins and players out there.

2 hours ago, rvg?! said:

Wait..

Ok i am over it.

To say exile is "probably" the best, just reflects your own subjective opinion. And if i read your last 6 posts here on the forums i get confirmed by that. (Exile Merchandise Contract?)

Doesnt mean exile is bad, but as KPABATOK some time ago said:

And it is exactly what it is. A lot of players nowadays dont want any challenge e.g. looting and so on. If they cant build a base within 40 mins they are pretty much "pissed" and flame around what a shit mod it is and where the hell is the "autorun key"?!

Epoch is a survival mod. And hopefully it will stay like that!

The Epoch community has the problem (my opinion), that a lot of good scripters and knowledge left.

In Exile is a lot of stuff premade from the devs. So easy going with the mod for the serveradmins.

Anyway, enough good Epoch servers with decent admins and players out there.

Well said rvg?!  Also if you look at the Experimental branch commits, you will see VBAwol works almost everyday on the mod. https://github.com/EpochModTeam/Epoch/commits/experimental

4 hours ago, IReeceI said:

Its pretty much dead, hoping Epoch team come back once Dayz standalone releases fully, I keep searching Epoch servers, but there really is nothing :( Exile have taken the spot, And TBH rightly so, weekly updates and monthly adds, keeps players busy, If you find yourself wanting to play ArmA, Exile probably is best at this moment :( 

awol releases updates several times a week. I can't even keep up with his updates. Also, his updates can be put on your server right away, unlike Exile, which you need to wait for the next release. Exile became too much of a "get rich quick - give me everything now" experience for me, which is why I came back to Epoch and it's also why I haven't added much to my server. 

AWOL is as busy as always. I am back a bit lately. Have just released an add-on to the player death that adds a bit of fun, is currently on experimental servers.

I have a task / mission system that is being finished off for release very soon. The idea is to add some stories and mini game play along with the classic shoot AI / hunt the box type missions. This will replace the trader missions, or can be triggered by an event, and allows for editing / creating your own tasks and stories / missions via the config. The missions will be persistent over logging off/on but not currently over server restarts. I expect restart persistence will be required, at some point, for longer missions.

There are a couple of AI characters also in the pipeline, mainly support characters that interact with you in game and either help out or act as part of the story lines, one guy is an antagonist of sorts, the crazy looter is his working title, naturally his weapon of choice is a hatchet.

They are currently able to follow you around, react to the environment, interact with vehicles as you get in and out, follow you, loot (WIP), react to combat situations etc.

I have experimented with an AI character and building, very crude at the moment but some of the 'structures' are interesting, even artistic on one or two cases :)

My main aim at the moment is to get the task system finished and create some story lines. Also tested out generating several antagonists on a group of three or four, the firefight was intense so expect that to be an aspect of at least one of the missions.

Epoch has soul and depth and longevity of play, where Exile is a sterile experience with little in it of merit to make me want to play.

Had an enforced absence from all gaming for 6 months and in that time Exile was released and Epoch went through some great development with the addition of Raymix and SteamPunkGears, all of which i tried to follow as closely as possible. It is true that there are not so many servers hosting Epoch right now, but take a look at Exile servers and you will see many with no population their market is over subscribed and under populated.

Having helped rvg?! on his quest to make the server unique and attractive, i now have a better understanding of the time and intricacy needed to keep it just running let alone move forward. All power to server devs for keeping the faith and more power to the mod devs for providing such an interesting platform and story on which to play.

Thanks for the responses. I am happy to see there is no planned shutdown/end of project or anything like that. also happy to see our lord and savior vbawol is at it full speed.

I'm not too concerned about lack of popularity as long as it doesn't result in a chain reaction (no popularity > no donation > no funding > no development). anyway, all is good then!

edit - I'm a bit surprised *even* BDTZ (as a very active forums member) left Epoch for a while! at least he's back... half redemption there!

I couldn't agree more with those who've said that Epoch is far from dead. There is a small but steady flow of players finally making the switch from ARMA 2 and new server owners making the decision to invest their time in Epoch - which, IMO provides a better framework than Exile, even now.

It is true that many script and mission developers have moved over there, but those of us who are slowly building our knowledge and experience will hopefully, in time, be able to contribute new features and functionality as we gain in experience and knowledge. In addition, several folks have taken some of the older scripts and missions and updated them to take into account the changes in Epoch and ARMA.

I'd also point out that there is an increasing diversity of what is being provided by Epoch server owners. While the majority are still vanilla, others of us are providing diversity by developing our servers with Epoch, different mods, different adversaries - all, again facilitated by the fine work of the Epoch devs and based on the work of those who came before us.

Just one side note to finish off: while I agree that if all you're doing is providing lots of loot and little else there is not a lot of challenge and players may drift off but, just because a server does have high loot does not necessarily mean that it is easy. That depends on the challenge provided in the environment and sometimes you do need to let players find more than the average loot in order for them to stand a chance of survival.

2 minutes ago, Sasha-ff said:

so,what lacks Epoch mod ?

write

interesting

The one thing that I don't like about Epoch, and I've posted about this before, is the trader categories. There needs to be a better way to sort everything. I do like Exile's trader interface. It lets you display only items that are compatible with your current weapon, plus it shows stats (Weapon specs, backpack size, etc). If the traders could be revamped, that would be a big plus for Epoch. 

2 minutes ago, Sasha-ff said:

вот что мне нравиться ))

He said this is what I like.

Then he smiled like a cute 6 year old boy at the candy shop.

Glad my limited Russian skills finally found a use.

Epoch best mod btw.