VDS Server optimizations and tips?

Mr White

Question

I just switched over to a vds. My previous host seems to have crapped the bed.

So I spent the weekend putting together a VDS, which was an interesting experience. I've been learning that most of my preconceived notions are mostly not true. Are there guides out there on how to tweak things, or for lazy dudes like me who were ok with the tcadmin panel and had to adapt to life without it?

I'm not quite sure how I should manage arma server startups on schedule as well as keeping bec alive.

If not, I guess I will just have to write one... which you can tell by my disjointed groggy post (hey I just woke up)... I suck at tech writing.

1 answer to this question

Use the extended battleye tools for your restarts, in the scheduler file. Make it run a .bat at certain times (when you want your server to auto restart) you can also add auto restart messages.

With your .bat file you want it to close the BEC and the server then you can use it to run custom mysql scripts to clean your server between restarts,

after running a cleanup script you can then start the arma2 server again and then start BEC 15 seconds after

heres an example of a bat file without running an mysql clean script

Spoiler

set BecDirectory=YOURSERVERDIRECTORY\@BEC\BEC.exe
set BECExecutable=BEC

:initialize
    echo Killing current running server ...
    taskkill /IM arma2oaserver.exe /F
    taskkill /IM %BECExecutable%.exe /F
    echo Done!
    timeout 5
    echo.
    goto serverstart

:serverstart
    timeout 5
    echo Starting server again ...
    start "arma2" "arma2oaserver.exe" "-mod=@DayZOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@Dayz_Epoch_Server" 
    echo.
    timeout 10
    goto start_bec

:start_bec
    echo.
    cd /d %BecDirectory%
    echo Starting BEC again ...
    timeout 5
    @start %BECExecutable%.exe --dsc "Config.cfg"    
exit

With a virtual dedicated machine you should try to keep the ai count low and have big periods between missions (When missions spawn your server fps drops a lot and the more ai on the map = a lot lower server fps), also keep away from ai flying helicopters or driving vehicles. I found that it really drops your server fps.