Dev server on raspberry pi

axeman

Ok, this is probably a crazy idea and one likely to end in tears and hardware brokenness. 

I need a portable Epoch server that can run and support at minimum one player, me, and was thinking of attempting an install on a raspberry pi using windows 10 iot.

Was wondering if anyone (crazy fool) has tried this already. My initial thought is that the spec would be way too low or that the cpu will be incompatible to run Arma..

Flames below please:

Definitely possible to run windows 10 on the Pi. Windows Internet of things As i understand it, is essentially a stripped down version of windows 10 with no GUI. 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/

It is a little fussy about the sd card used, it has to be class 10 or it won't boot. Am still to go out and buy one of these as my 'class 10' is a cheap knock off.

I have a PI2 model b, might have to consider an upgrade.

Have read that people have even been clustering the PIs, I wonder if we could have a headless client PI per player on the server :)

5 hours ago, axeman said:

Definitely possible to run windows 10 on the Pi. Windows Internet of things As i understand it, is essentially a stripped down version of windows 10 with no GUI.

Ah ok, thanks for info! ;)

For me i think i will stay with Debian for it.

Lower than class 10 SD´s would´nt be a deal, also you get a 32GB HCSD class10 for less than 15bucks.

cheers

Goods point considering we now support Linux, has to be more performant on a PI, and that's from a die hard Microsoft fan. Sorry, I earn a few quid now and again from C# programming jobs :)

Time to brush up on Linux. That exagear looks good but surely just another layer of CPU usage ?

Have already installed Raspbian using NOOBS, is this suitable do you think ? Or can it be scaled down any more ? 

To the CPU usage i still cant say anything atm. Did not found the time until now to start with this little box. ;)

But as far as i go ahead with it i think i will try Raspbian first because i googled a bit and noticed that its now based upon Debian Jessie. That sounds great. NOOBS is actually preinstalled on my SD card but i will remove it before i start. I dont like such "tools", hehe.

Was thinking running a base winOS using minimal resources, even DOS, if Arma would run on it. MS would have to support dot net in the DOS environment, they are known for backward compatibility, that may be a stretch :)

Everything that is early MS looks like an emulator on top of Linux Debian, from a quick Google search.

Debian looks like the way to go, if NOOBS is too bulky what are the other options ?

Minimal OS resource / maximum arma server resource usage ?

First roadblock, could be a big one:

./steamcmd.sh: line 29: /home/pi/steamcmd/linux32/steamcmd: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error.

Someone doesn't like ARM ? Granted, am new to this Linus stuff :)

Based on the responsiveness during VNC install and browsing for the download am just a tiny bit concerned that a running Arma server will task the CPu to the point that my poor Raspbian PI will overheat into a molten plastic lump of slag. 

Am willing to persevere, what's the worst that could happen..